10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Race is on B1tches! - How many have you cleared?

Started by Sinistron, 04/04/2009, 01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bardoly

Quote from: guest on 08/06/2015, 02:52 PMClear 13: Salamander

Woo. Been playing it for the past day. I had pretty much every pattern down and had it all figured out, it was just a matter of not getting cocky. I really love this game. Now I have to try it on expert mode, but for now I'm content. Slowly getting better at shooters (but not really. working my way up).
Nice clear!
I loved Life Force on the NES, and I  beat it many times.  I have yet to beat this incarnation of the game though.

I'm sure that my failure to beat Salamander yet has nothing to do with the fact that the 30-life Life Force Konami code doesn't work for Salamander...  Yeah, that's what I keep telling myself.

PukeSter

Beat Override today! I even 1CCed it. I would include a picture but the attachments folder doesn't seem to work for me. My score was 1383720, on stage 2 of the second loop (so 2-2?)

It's nice to find a new game that's easy but still a true classic.

This is probably clear #45 or something, I don't have a proper list at the moment, but I've beat over 40 games.

munchiaz

#21. Bonk's Adventure.

Beat this one last night. I played it in the past but got to the end and i couldn't best Kroll. This was when i wasn't aware how the turbo switch makes this game much easier. Played through it again last night, ans breezed through the game. On to Bonk's revenge next.

IMG

esteban

Quote from: munchiaz on 08/10/2015, 01:06 PM#21. Bonk's Adventure.

Beat this one last night. I played it in the past but got to the end and i couldn't best Kroll. This was when i wasn't aware how the turbo switch makes this game much easier. Played through it again last night, ans breezed through the game. On to Bonk's revenge next.

IMG
REAL MEN BEAT THE GAME WITHOUT AUTO-FIRE.

munchiaz :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

PukeSter

Didn't expect to post in here today.

Beat Makai Prince Dorabo Chan on one continue. Decent platformer, though considering it's from Red I would've expected it to be as good as Bonk. It's better than Dragon Egg though.

The art style was very nice. The different armors were pointless though, there should have been only one.

munchiaz

Quote from: guest on 08/10/2015, 03:49 PMDidn't expect to post in here today.

Beat Makai Prince Dorabo Chan on one continue. Decent platformer, though considering it's from Red I would've expected it to be as good as Bonk. It's better than Dragon Egg though.

The art style was very nice. The different armors were pointless though, there should have been only one.
I played this a few years ago and got stuck at the end. Need to give it a try again

PukeSter

Sorry for bumping this again  :lol:

I was always interested in the Batman game on this system. Pretty good stuff, I will certainly play it again at some point.

The difficulty was fair even when I had to continue and lost all my power-ups. The final boss gauntlet was completely manageable, though a little anti-climatic.

The 2nd world, the museum, was the most puzzle heavy. A lot of teleports.

Both this and City Hunter have 3 things in common, Sunsoft, easy difficulty, great music.

PukeSter

At the moment, I have 46 clears. Just counted all the games I've beaten.

I only have about 10 SNES games  :lol: :mrgreen:

jtucci31

Clear 15: Gate of Thunder 1cc

This was pretty easy after a few playthroughs on Normal. I got all the way to the end boss without losing a life, so it was another 1cc for me. I took some hits but luckily had the shield on me. Now that I've faced and defeated the final boss, I could probably beat this without dying if I spent some more time with it on Normal. All in all though, excellent game. It's probably one of my favorites. The music that plays during the credits may be my favorite track too.

/2iad8xv.jpg

"agein"

munchiaz

Quote from: guest on 08/12/2015, 04:11 PMClear 15: Gate of Thunder

This was pretty easy after a few playthroughs on Normal. I got all the way to the end boss without losing a life, so it was another 1cc for me. I took some hits but luckily had the shield on me. Now that I've faced and defeated the final boss, I could probably beat this without dying if I spent some more time with it on Normal. All in all though, excellent game. It's probably one of my favorites. The music that plays during the credits may be my favorite track too.

/2iad8xv.jpg

"agein"
Good job. I still need to beat this one

PukeSter

Clear #47, Kunio Soccer

Excellent game. Took me a while to understand the best strategies. For the last team I needed to place Kunio right by the goal. I never managed to master the headshot super shot.

It didn't seem like this version had the normal running super shot. But at least I could do the bicycle kick as many times as I wanted.

This FAQ is good since it helps to translate the menus. It was very helpful.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/tg16/563653-nekketsu-koukou-dodge-ball-bu-pc-soccer-hen/faqs/21188

PukeSter

Clear 48, Youkai Douchuuki

Been trying to beat this one on and off for the last few years. Got the Hell ending. Reading a guide on the items helps a lot. The bottle is only 2000 money and allows Tarosuke to jump on far away clouds with ease.

Everyone likes to rag on this one a lot, but it actually is better than games like Shubibinman 1. And certainly better than Wonder Momo and Genpei Toumaden.

PukeSter

Clear 49, Niko Niko Pun

The graphics are nice (even has parallax), but I think they forgot the gameplay. And the music only uses one sound channel with a shitty booping sound. Just because a game is for little kids doesn't mean you can skimp out on quality.

The game is as long as Dragon Egg, but that game had actual level design. And once you beat Niko Niko Pun, they even allow you to do a second loop if you love it so much.

There's only two other positive things about the game.

It's the easiest game in the entire library. and watching the dinosaur get bigger and taller is amusing.

PunkCryborg

Quote from: guest on 08/15/2015, 02:49 PMClear 48, Youkai Douchuuki

Been trying to beat this one on and off for the last few years. Got the Hell ending. Reading a guide on the items helps a lot. The bottle is only 2000 money and allows Tarosuke to jump on far away clouds with ease.

Everyone likes to rag on this one a lot, but it actually is better than games like Shubibinman 1. And certainly better than Wonder Momo and Genpei Toumaden.
Congrats man! Yeah that extra jump item really makes a difference. I didnt realize what it did till I was at the cloud level and failing over and over already. Im sure I could have cleared it a lot easier if I had realized it did that a lot earlier

Spooky

Clear #70975: Son Son II

IMG

Finally got the clear on this beast (using hourglass on the later bosses worked wonders!) An absolute masterwork of precision platforming. Has more in common with NES/FC sidescrollers than it's 16-bit brethren, which is definitely a good thing. I have no reservations about proclaiming this one a Rondo-killer.

Quote from: guest on 08/15/2015, 02:49 PMAnd certainly better than [...] Genpei Toumaden.
Give this one a second chance, trust me. I hated it at first, now it's one of my favorite platformers of all time. It's simply a matter of learning to play by its rules...

EmperorIng

I have the arcade version of Genpei Toumaden on the Namco Museum on PS1. I wish I knew what its sword fighting "rules" were... -_-

Spooky

Quote from: EmperorIng on 08/16/2015, 04:21 PMI have the arcade version of Genpei Toumaden on the Namco Museum on PS1.
I can't decide whether or not I like that one or the X68000 port the best. X68K has all those hidden levels that were dummied out of the arcade release... but the PS1 is in english, and has that hilarious glitch that lets you kill the biwa player. I'd say it's a toss-up.

Some helpful tips:

Continues are useless.

Milk the enemy generators for all they're worth. You'll need the Zeni to purchase sword power-ups and health restoratives.

Don't mash against the earlier bosses, you lose too much of your sword gauge that way. You can't afford to be careless with your sword strikes until later in the game.

Mash the jump button to get a slight boost at the peak of your jump (only applies to PS1? I forget)

Certain fights against Yoshitsune (laughing dagger-throwing guy) can be skipped. When he first appears, turn around and crouch down. If he performs a rolling slash, let him pass over you, stay facing him, hold the attack button, and proceed to moonwalk all the way to the torii.

If you have 80 Zeni, you can buy your way out of hell. Just hop into the pool of blood near the beginning of the stage. Sure beats trying your luck with the treasure chests at the end.  :mrgreen:

Did I mention continues are useless?

PukeSter

Quote from: Spooky on 08/16/2015, 07:28 PM
Quote from: EmperorIng on 08/16/2015, 04:21 PMI have the arcade version of Genpei Toumaden on the Namco Museum on PS1.
I can't decide whether or not I like that one or the X68000 port the best. X68K has all those hidden levels that were dummied out of the arcade release... but the PS1 is in english, and has that hilarious glitch that lets you kill the biwa player. I'd say it's a toss-up.

Some helpful tips:

Continues are useless.

Milk the enemy generators for all they're worth. You'll need the Zeni to purchase sword power-ups and health restoratives.

Don't mash against the earlier bosses, you lose too much of your sword gauge that way. You can't afford to be careless with your sword strikes until later in the game.

Mash the jump button to get a slight boost at the peak of your jump (only applies to PS1? I forget)

Certain fights against Yoshitsune (laughing dagger-throwing guy) can be skipped. When he first appears, turn around and crouch down. If he performs a rolling slash, let him pass over you, stay facing him, hold the attack button, and proceed to moonwalk all the way to the torii.

If you have 80 Zeni, you can buy your way out of hell. Just hop into the pool of blood near the beginning of the stage. Sure beats trying your luck with the treasure chests at the end.  :mrgreen:

Did I mention continues are useless?
What about those 3 things that you have to get? Are they easy to find?

I like Samurai Ghost a lot but I never cared much for Genpei Toumaden.

Spooky

Quote from: guest on 08/16/2015, 08:20 PMWhat about those 3 things that you have to get? Are they easy to find?

The Sword is easy enough to find, it's guarded by the three-headed dragon near the end of the game. The other two are a bit trickier. Both of them can be found either in The Land Of Bad Puns, or alternatively, you can find the Mirror in the southeast corner of that one level with no torii (with the hidden exit between four graves), and... I recall the Magatama was in plain sight in a section with moving green platforms?

Most people do tend to prefer the sequel. It's more accessible, more linear, and much more forgiving than the original, so it's easy to see why. I'll admit that Samurai Ghost is one of the better PCE sidescrollers, but for me, I just find that it's missing too much of what made the first Genpei so special.

esteban

Quote from: Spooky on 08/16/2015, 11:19 PM
Quote from: guest on 08/16/2015, 08:20 PMWhat about those 3 things that you have to get? Are they easy to find?

The Sword is easy enough to find, it's guarded by the three-headed dragon near the end of the game. The other two are a bit trickier. Both of them can be found either in The Land Of Bad Puns, or alternatively, you can find the Mirror in the southeast corner of that one level with no torii (with the hidden exit between four graves), and... I recall the Magatama was in plain sight in a section with moving green platforms?

Most people do tend to prefer the sequel. It's more accessible, more linear, and much more forgiving than the original, so it's easy to see why. I'll admit that Samurai Ghost is one of the better PCE sidescrollers, but for me, I just find that it's missing too much of what made the first Genpei so special.
Ok, you have encouraged me to give the first Genpei yet  another chance.

:)

I tried playing the Famicom version (moreso than the PCE version) of Genpei 1...Boy, did I get stomped.

jtucci31

Clear 16: Makai Prince Dorabocchan

I like this for what it's worth. Decent platforming. Not the best, but I still enjoyed it a lot. The art style is pretty cool as well as the Makai Prince himself. Music was repetitive but I actually liked that as well. The controls seemed a little off as quickly turning and then attacking/shooting/whatever seemed delayed and off. So you had to make strategic jumps. Some of the boss designs were pretty cool too, but in world/level 5 I found a spot where I could just keep going back for more lives. So I had about 18 lives going into the final boss. I think it shoots flames that turn into a swastika. Or maybe that's just me (though he does have a Star of David belt buckle from the looks of it).

I had been on a shooter kick having beaten 3 in a row, but now I want to do some platformers. Or at least divide my time wisely. This was my first game beaten using my TGCD setup, and also the first game I've beaten since having moved back to school. Here's to a good semester :mrgreen:

/25jhvko.jpg

esteban

jtucci31

Aha! Thank you for that and pardon my ignorance. I figured I was wrong to some degree. Much appreciated!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 08/18/2015, 01:38 PMAha! Thank you for that and pardon my ignorance. I figured I was wrong to some degree. Much appreciated!
Well, it is basically the same symbol, but we associate it with Nazis.

I had the same reaction as yours many years ago when I was in a restaurant and asked my friend why a Buddhist restaurant would have a psychedelic, glowing Swastika on display.

I was half-joking. :)

shubibiman

Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

jtucci31

Clear 17: Override (GoTW) 1cc

If I'm going to start beating lots of the GoTW games (which I hope I do), I may have to consolidate all of my posts to one. So this may just turn into my GoTW post so as not to start spamming this entire thread.

/30upnhy.jpg

PunkCryborg

Spam it up tucci, love seeing all those clear pics. In my opinion this is the best thread on the forum

blueraven

I recently beat the Addams family, but forgot to take a picture, so I'll beat it again and update this.

ITS BACK ON, BITCHES.

reno5

I'm working on Dungeon Explorer. Finally found some time to play !

jtucci31

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 08/25/2015, 01:39 AMSpam it up tucci, love seeing all those clear pics. In my opinion this is the best thread on the forum
I agree. I was looking back through this thread last night. It looked really awesome in the beginning. Makes me want to beat every single game I own and then some. Hope I can catch up to you higher folks. Need to start playing games I own so it shows up on pcedai

PunkCryborg

Quote from: guest on 08/25/2015, 02:58 PMI agree. I was looking back through this thread last night. It looked really awesome in the beginning. Makes me want to beat every single game I own and then some. Hope I can catch up to you higher folks. Need to start playing games I own so it shows up on pcedai
Yeah I wish there was a way to mark a game as cleared  without adding it to your collection

jtucci31

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 08/25/2015, 04:12 PMYeah I wish there was a way to mark a game as cleared  without adding it to your collection
It would be nice if there were two separate lists, one for clears and one for your collection. But I guess this thread does just fine :)

Clear 18: Street Fighter II

I've owned this for quite a little while and finally beat it. With Ryu on normal. Not that great at the fighting games. It's one of the most cleared games on pcedai so I figured I'd give it a shot finally and sit down and play through the whole thing. Thankfully still finding time to play some Turbo while at school. Workload hasn't kicked in high gear yet, so I have some time to get some more games cleared.
IMG

PukeSter

Clear 53: Kaze Kiri

It's definitely a game with very good presentation. Some level variety would have been nice, but the control is incredibly satisfying. I'm also a fan of games like Vigilante so the gameplay was a step up with the amazing boss fights.

I used 2 continues via the stage select in the option menu. Those last few levels are tough. I didn't kill the princess though.

reno5

I finally cleared Dungeon Explorer. Had a great time doing so.

jtucci31

Clear 19: The Legend of Xanadu

I have a new favorite PCE game and I can't wait to replay it when the translation comes out. 8)
IMG

shawnji

Beat Bomberman '93 today:

IMG

It was good fun.  I died a lot figuring out the last boss' pattern, but overall, an easy clear.  I was in the mood for another HuCard, so I threw in Shubibinman, which I've already beaten a ton, but I went ahead and beat it twice in a row (once for fun, and once to speed run it):

IMG

The speed run ended up at 6 min. and 46 seconds.   It's a really fun one to run with how short it is.

jtucci31

Nice Bomberman clear! I've been meaning to sit down with 93 and 94 sometime soon. They're both great but I want to see them through to the end. Did you continue at all?

Clear 20: Lords of Thunder 1cc

I was lagging with the GotW but I finally did it. Not too difficult on normal. I think I still like Gate of Thunder more, but this game was a blast to play! Sucks there's no cool end screen and that you can't tell your high score without pausing right before the final boss falls, but the end cutscenes do look pretty cool.

IMG

jtucci31

Clear 21: PC Genjin 3/Bonk 3

Pretty much my first time trying this game out and I beat it with at least 3 or 4 lives leftover. Was pretty easy overall. I enjoyed the big/small aspects. The new mini games were hit or miss, some were easy and fun, others were hard and stupid. I agree with the "not as good as the others" sentiment. I don't hate it at all, I actually enjoyed it despite how long it felt. Anyway, I couldn't snap a decent picture so I'll include a nice looking snap of the game in my new briefcase setup :)

There's the moon loosing its shackles and returning to the other half in the sky
IMG IMG

Digi.k

don't think I am going to post on this thread that much but I've beaten this game twice now from start to end.  It's a great action adventure game despite the Mem128 bug which really pisses me off.

Magicoal is somewhere in the 14-ish hour game play.

IMG

out of a total of 64 spells to find I ended up finding 61.  29 for Rhun and 32 for Melvy
IMG

PunkCryborg

It's been a while for me but I beat Dynastic Hero which I thoroughly enjoyed so this should get me back into the game. If you haven't played this one yet you are missing out. It's a fantastic game and one of my favorite CD games now on the system. This was the first Wonder Boy game I ever played through and now I want to play the whole series. Awesome stuff!
Clear #50
IMG

esteban

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 12/17/2015, 11:43 PMIt's been a while for me but I beat Dynastic Hero which I thoroughly enjoyed so this should get me back into the game. If you haven't played this one yet you are missing out. It's a fantastic game and one of my favorite CD games now on the system. This was the first Wonder Boy game I ever played through and now I want to play the whole series. Awesome stuff!
Clear #50
IMG
You are teasing, right?

You gotta play all the Wonder Boy games.

So much fun.

I might pull out the SMS now and play some goodness myself, in fact. I don't think my daughter has really played any proper Wonder Boy games...but she is only 11 years old, so she has an excuse.

You don't. :)

PunkCryborg

Quote from: esteban on 12/18/2015, 07:25 PMYou are teasing, right?

So much fun.

I might pull out the SMS now and play some goodness myself, in fact. I don't think my daughter has really played any proper Wonder Boy games...but she is only 11 years old, so she has an excuse.

Yeah true story this was the first one really for me.
I have Wonder Boy in Monster Land for SMS but I got a Japanese SMS that gives it FM sound but unfortunately changes the text to Japanese so I was kind of put off on that. I also missed the boat big time on getting Dragon's Curse on TG16  since I see the collectards drove the price of that one up now too so don't think I'll be able to pick that one up anymore :(

esteban

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 12/18/2015, 08:59 PM
Quote from: esteban on 12/18/2015, 07:25 PMYou are teasing, right?

So much fun.

Yeah true story this was the first one really for me.
I have Wonder Boy in Monster Land for SMS but I got a Japanese SMS that gives it FM sound but unfortunately changes the text to Japanese so I was kind of put off on that. I also missed the boat big time on getting Dragon's Curse on TG16  since I see the collectards drove the price of that one up now too so don't think I'll be able to pick that one up anymore :(
Obviously, I am actually jealous that you get to experience all the games now. I have replayed them too many times.

:)

EmperorIng

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 12/18/2015, 08:59 PMI also missed the boat big time on getting Dragon's Curse on TG16  since I see the collectards drove the price of that one up now too so don't think I'll be able to pick that one up anymore :(
If it's any consolation, there's almost no text in the game, so the Japanese version (Adventure Island) is a cheap alternative. The only thing to figure out are shops (typically, a new shop you find has better weapons than the previous one) and that CP (ie what form you are) affects how many items the shopkeep is willing to sell you.

Bikkuriman World is even doable, though for that I'd recommend watching a run to see where the hidden doors are.

CrackTiger

This is why every game player needs a Turbo Everdrive. Bikkuriman World in English doesn't have a physical version to collect.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

PunkCryborg

#51 Beyond Shadowgate
I've never played this before and haven't played a point and click adventure since I was a kid so this was definitely a little different for me. Best part was the death screens. There were plenty of parts that had me scratching my head as to what to do though and I feel like I missed a lot of stuff so I might play it again with a FAQ
IMG

Gypsy

#19 (counting Ys I-II as one game). Not that I have posted the others here. The last boss was actually somewhat challenging (I wasn't max level tbf), but then I suck at games so maybe that's not the case for everyone.

IMG

EmperorIng

Darm is rightly the toughest in the game. Even with game speed set to SLOW, a high level, Lair's ring, and Barrier magic, you will still only win by the skin of your teeth. Those orbs are so hard to dodge.

IMG

I achieved one of Super Darius II's many moving endings. What a matter. Hey, it's a 1CC though!

I will play more of the game explore more levels/routes/bosses, but my initial impressions are problematic. Graphics are nice, but sprites are too big. You run the risk of accidentally colliding with an off-screen enemy approaching from above or below. Sprite flicker can turn boss attacks invisible - high-speed bullets + invisibility is a lethal combo. If you can manage to not die from these programming/design oversights, the game is easy. If not, well, you are in for an incredibly frustrating time. In these respects I enjoyed the MegaDrive port more, since the game was balanced around an enclosed 4:3 aspect ratio.

Super Darius I doesn't suffer from these problems, because the sprites and play-field are much smaller and are accommodating to a single screen.

Also, T's Music is worthy of a great deal of praise, and I dig the remixed soundtrack for Super Darius II. However, it just doesn't compare to the memorable strangeness of the arcade original (the Boss 2 track and Say Papa suffer the most). It's a little too "poppy" and "fluffy" if that makes sense. Maybe "indulgent." It's nice listening but I just wanted to voice my absolutely-true-opinions.  :mrgreen:

blueraven

Clear # 18: Cadash

IMG IMG

The camera on my phone is pretty messed up, but you can see it says "RAVN" at the bottom of the first pic :D

That was a fun one, even if grinding up to Lvl 17 on the two respawn points took up 2/3 of the game.

blueraven

Clear #19: Mysterious Song - Thanks Rover!!

IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Got through Mysterious song in about 4 hours or so; grinded up to level 32 and Grimm fell before I knew it... It was hilarious to see the credits roll, and find out who the voices and contributors were. When Josh said "You don't believe THAT do you?" I nearly died laughing. :lol: Almost like being in chat :D

Great job with this game, everyone!! :D It was a blast playing through it and I was really impressed with the color palette in the dungeons and the quick combat system. Excellent work everyone!!