10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

A Huge find! (SuperGrafx protos!)

Started by ccovell, 03/31/2011, 12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurboXray

Yeah, it's a great April Fools joke :D The Super Kung-Fu is great :D Makes me want to play it even more!

Mathius

spenoza

What's impressive is only one of the pictures looks obviously fake (the Power Console itself). Unfortunately, that's the most important picture.

Tatsujin

If he had posted it at any other days (like the roms yesterday) and without silly mentions of built-in 100yen coin operators and stuff, I would have believed it fo'sho! :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

incrediblehark

well guess I was fooled :P the pic of the power console does look a little strange.

shubibiman

Best april's fool ever. Ccovell, you're a king!
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Tatsujin

<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Tatsujin

My latest theory is that chris made it up so obvious by purpose, to tell us tomorrow that it was not a april hoax.

you never know with our chris :idea:

akamichi

Wow, I haven't been here in a while (not sure if anybody even remembers me. lol) and I've been trying to catch up with all the stuff that's been going on....  Then I see this thread.  :shock:

I couldn't believe it.  I read about the Power Console way back and stared at the pix in the mags so many times... but I never read/saw anything about a coin slot or bill slot.  :-k

Anyway, I wanted this to be true so bad and not some April fool's like others have said, but one thing stood out to me right away...

In the "Credit Test" picture that shows the coin and bill slots, the 1000 yen bill depicted is the current design from 2004.  So, it wouldn't be possible for that picture to exist in 1989.  The oval that's to the right of the red circle gives it away.  The previous (1984) bill didn't have that oval.

I pretty much believed everything else though (and still want to!) so kudos to Chris either way.  =D&gt;   The Super Kung Fu is awesome!

- akamichi

esteban

Quote from: Tatsujin on 04/01/2011, 06:53 AMMy latest theory is that chris made it up so obvious by purpose, to tell us tomorrow that it was not a april hoax.

you never know with our chris :idea:
That would be the master stroke! 

Personally, I would love The Super Kung Fu if it didn't have digitized Bruce Lee a la Pit Fighter.

I don't care if this is an April Fool's prank—I can die in peace now, my soul knowing that The Kung Fu will always have a special place in my heart.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ccovell

Happy April Fool's Day, everybody!  :D

BEERS AND VIDEOS

Tatsujin

NecroPhile

Heh.  I had my suspicions from the stickers on the eeproms being identically crooked as those on the Tsushin Booster, but a damn good laugh nonetheless.  :D
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

ccovell

Yes, some people knew already it was a joke from little inconsistencies and oversights in my photo editing, but hey, absolute verisimilitude was never the goal.  I'd be scamming people for money if I could make the photos that realistic.   :wink:

I couldn't do much about the Power Console picture, except for making better shadows.  The original pic was a grainy scan from a small magazine page, so a lot of massaging had to be applied anyway.

And as a fact, I did consider checking out a yen bill from 1989 before I drew it, but I figured I didn't need to be so meticulous since nobody would be that anal.  I guess for future hoaxes (?) I'll have to assume a higher level of both.

Basically, everything on that page -- except for a single EPROM card, the Tsushin EPROM so-mentioned -- is fake, and either does not exist or is not in my possession.  I'll put up a page later, perhaps, that shows some of the original photos.

The screenshots were mostly hand-pixeled by me, except for the Bruce Lee photos, mah-jongg tiles, the rock and explosion, etc...  Sorry, they're not in PCE ROM form; just .gif or .iff   :wink:   I did stick to 9-bit colour space almost exclusively tho.

Finally, as CrackTiger pointed out, a totally convincing page is not a good April Fool's joke.  Just like in comedy, a scene should start out normal, introduce something incongruous, and then crank up the unbelievability until people get the joke.  I thought with my "Excited-blind-faith-diehard PCE Fanboy" writer's voice and Johnny Turbo echoes (Arcade feel!) it should have tipped everyone off; the ridiculous features of the Console (Dual screens!  Money feeder!) were the punchline.

Tatsujin

Anyway, in a first instance when the power console picture showed up, I got a cold jitter down my spine. That alone was worth it :D

Bernie

Tatsujin

Yeah it's like one of those great dreams you beliefe it is no dream and then you wake up.

turbogrfxfan

Mathuis is rightYeah I def feel. thatconsole is the reason for battle0ace
"Is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

Tatsujin

Short after the picture-shock was gone, I was wondering, why isn't it docked into a SGFX? It doesn't make sense to dock it into a simple SCD ROM and hey play some rad SGFX games. lol.

NecroPhile

Quote from: ccovell on 04/01/2011, 10:52 AMFinally, as Black Tiger pointed out, a totally convincing page is not a good April Fool's joke.  Just like in comedy, a scene should start out normal, introduce something incongruous, and then crank up the unbelievability until people get the joke.  I thought with my "Excited-blind-faith-diehard PCE Fanboy" writer's voice and Johnny Turbo echoes (Arcade feel!) it should have tipped everyone off; the ridiculous features of the Console (Dual screens!  Money feeder!) were the punchline.
Heck yeah, the jape was perfectly executed*.  Only you and your collection of prototypes and rare goodies could've pulled it off so successfully.  =D&gt;

* - though a Queeg reference would've made it even better (just for you, nat).

grahf

I was convinced up until the dual screen part. I just thought suddenly... there couldn't hope to market that thing, unless to arcades. The coin slot thing totally removed all doubt for me that it was fake, since those things are huge! You could never fit a coinbox in the side of that thing.

Tatsujin

And just think of how much a 1000en satsu and coin checker would have costed in like 1989? lol. beyond any feasibility.

TurboXray

I thought the coin/paper money was in reference to the SGX arcade board/system recently discovered last year (with some puzzle game for it). I take it, it was not?

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Tatsujin on 04/01/2011, 12:34 PMAnd just think of how much a 1000en satsu and coin checker would have costed in like 1989? lol. beyond any feasibility.
Not if it were built to the same standards as the rest of of Power Console (ie: that flight yolk wouldn't last 10 minutes in an arcade before it was snapped clean off).
IMG

SuperPlay

Nice :-)

Much better than having my keyboard remapped at work today ;-)

csgx1

=D&gt; Good one.  Had me going for a bit.

Mathius

esteban

Quote from: ccovell on 04/01/2011, 09:26 AMHappy April Fool's Day, everybody!  :D
Perfectly executed! I love that you took the time to do this. Building anticipation by telling us "more info coming soon" was just divine. Perfect execution, as far as I am concerned.

:)

nat

Quote from: guest on 04/01/2011, 12:14 PM
Quote from: ccovell on 04/01/2011, 10:52 AMFinally, as CrackTiger pointed out, a totally convincing page is not a good April Fool's joke.  Just like in comedy, a scene should start out normal, introduce something incongruous, and then crank up the unbelievability until people get the joke.  I thought with my "Excited-blind-faith-diehard PCE Fanboy" writer's voice and Johnny Turbo echoes (Arcade feel!) it should have tipped everyone off; the ridiculous features of the Console (Dual screens!  Money feeder!) were the punchline.
Heck yeah, the jape was perfectly executed*.  Only you and your collection of prototypes and rare goodies could've pulled it off so successfully.  =D&gt;

* - though a Queeg reference would've made it even better (just for you, nat).
April, May, June, July and August Fool's?

ccovell

Quote from: Tatsujin on 04/01/2011, 12:12 PMShort after the picture-shock was gone, I was wondering, why isn't it docked into a SGFX? It doesn't make sense to dock it into a simple SCD ROM and hey play some rad SGFX games. lol.
It is docked into a SuperGrafx.  At that perspective, the slightly wider bump at the back-right is all of the SGX that sticks out of the Power Console (the Expansion Bus lump is visible too, of course.)  And I "connected" the whole thing to my SCD to take RGB screenshots from the Power Console software, of course.  O:)

_Paul

This reached a new level of awesome.

TheClash603

I called it first :)

Nice prank, this is one of the best holidays!

Mathius

Quote from: ccovell on 04/01/2011, 05:48 PM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 04/01/2011, 12:12 PMShortly after the picture-shock was gone, I was wondering, why isn't it docked into a SGFX? It doesn't make sense to dock it into a simple SCD ROM and hey play some rad SGFX games. lol.
It is docked into a SuperGrafx.  At that perspective, the slightly wider bump at the back-right is all of the SGX that sticks out of the Power Console (the Expansion Bus lump is visible too, of course.)  And I "connected" the whole thing to my SCD to take RGB screenshots from the Power Console software, of course.  O:)
I thought I remembered being docked to a SGX.

Keranu

Once I read "Other ports down the left side are an additional video output from the Console, and a coin slot and bill feeder too!" I could no longer take the rest of the page seriously :D .

HOWEVER Chris did raise something that I never even noticed before: are those 2, 3, 4, 5 ports on the right side of the peripheral really for extra controllers?

I also doubt the system has LCD displays, but that would be awesome if those little radars lit up!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

DesmondThe3rd

Damn, I know it was a joke and all but I wish there was another SGX game out there.

Sparky

hahaha... wow i still believe it :P
well done...  and a hell of a good read :)...

awack

HAHA...i think its time to let the cat out of the bag, the Porto's are not real, but the power console is, i put in half of the price(were talking car money here, it was allot)....i haven't had it in my hands yet, but from what Ive been told the yoke or steering is a little wonky.

ccovell

turbogrfxfan

"Is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

Tatsujin

Quote from: ccovell on 04/01/2011, 05:48 PM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 04/01/2011, 12:12 PMShort after the picture-shock was gone, I was wondering, why isn't it docked into a SGFX? It doesn't make sense to dock it into a simple SCD ROM and hey play some rad SGFX games. lol.
Ah lol I'm le uberdumb. How could I have forgot about that  #-o The Power Console literally eats the whole SGFX!

Vecanti

This was awesome.  One to remember for years to come.  I can't believe how much work you put into it.  Thanks for the thrill at first and then the great laughs after!

awack

You played on our wish thinking, i remember dreaming about what the next super grafx game would be, this was 1991 after 1941 counter attack was released...20 years later my dreams were crushed once again :(

esteban

Chris, I'm not joking, and I know you have better things to do with your limited time/energy, but the only thing that would have made the SuperGrafx prank even better:

A SuperGrafx sequel to Blodia (Timeball). I honestly love the game and wish there was a "100% pure adrenaline" version of the game with with gratuitous special effects (even if the effects were confined to the background art). Actually, maybe a SCD update of Blodia (that I fantasized about previously) would be just as awesome. Anyway, even if you only create mock-ups, I would be able to die happier.

:)

csgx1

Tatsujin

such great. this is almost as impossible as if it where real..lol.

rag-time4

Quote from: Tatsujin on 04/02/2011, 02:25 PMsuch great. this is almost as impossible as if it where real..lol.
Agreed!

To be honest, I was totally fooled by the article.

OldRover

Am I the only one who is actually disappointed in this whole thing?
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

NecroPhile

Quote from: The Old Rover on 04/04/2011, 04:32 PMAm I the only one who is actually disappointed in this whole thing?
I'm not especially disappointed; at least no more disappointed than I am about there not being an Arcade Card version of King of the Monsters, SuperGrafx Strider, and all the other hinted at goodies.  'Twas a good laugh.  8)

Keranu

Bump!

Quote from: Keranu on 04/01/2011, 08:08 PMHOWEVER Chris did raise something that I never even noticed before: are those 2, 3, 4, 5 ports on the right side of the peripheral really for extra controllers?
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"