RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Last Alert

Started by AlexKidd, 10/10/2006, 05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexKidd

I just recently won this game from ebay and have never played it before. I'm really impressed by it and I think it's odd that people rarely mention it on this board or elsewhere when discussing good turbo duo games. It has a lot in common with Bloody Wolf which most people( including me) love. Only difference is they threw in better graphics, cd sound, some nice cutscenes and lots of cool weapons. So what do you guys think of this game? Is it a great game or am I just a weirdo?

rolins

I thought it was a cool game, reminds me alot of Ikari Warriors and those intermissions in Bionic Commando. Has a bad rep for the american voice acting, but who cares about story plots. I prefer to leave my brain at the door for some mindless slaying.

Keranu

I love Last Alert to death and the voice acting is part of the reason why I love it.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Joe Redifer

I just played through this entire game in one sitting a couple of nights ago.  I love it myself.  It was one of the first games I purchased for my TG-16.  After awhile I finally rented Bloody Wolf, but that kind of seemed like a poor-man's Last Alert to me, especially in the graphics (grafx?) department.  Also I don't recall very well, but I think Bloody Wolf didn't allow you to hold your firing position as you move like Last Alert does.  I REALLY like that feature in Last Alert.  I only made it to the 2nd stage I think in BW, but I recall the music being, well, not so hot.  But I hear it gets better later in the game.  Keep in mind that was a looooooong time ago.

By the way, the manual for Last Alert says to keep watching after the end credits for a big secret!  Nothing happens except a picture of Guy Kazama and a bit of quick music.  "You can never trust, Leonard!"

"Guy!  The stealth bomber's hidden in the back of this factory!" (Complete with Kermit the Frog voice).

Keranu

Haha, the Kermit voice rulez. Bloody Wolf is one kick ass game too.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Joe Redifer

Does it control similar to Last Alert?  It has been sooo very long since I played it.

Later I will post some of my favorite Last Alert voices.

Ninja Spirit

Since I have the Japanese version, I have been spared.

Joe Redifer

Spared ?  No way man, you missed out!  Check out the AWESOME dialog and acting in the MP3 below I just made.  It increases the game's enjoyment tenfold and it is fun to begin with.

IMG
Click here to download the awesome 2 MB MP3!The last part about the shuttle and ozone layer wasn't even used in the game.  Instead Dr. Garcia runs out and takes off to space in a space shuttle, and Guy Kazama runs to a spare space shuttle (which apparently had the key in the ignition) and takes off towards space as well.  This game is a complete riot!

PC Gaijin

Last Alert was the very first Turbo CD I ever bought. When I got the attachment, the store I bought it from didn't have Ys Book I & II (which is what I really wanted) in stock, so I got Last Alert instead. I remember being quite excited to show off the cinemas and voice acting, and I called my older sister over to watch on my first playthrough. She was not impressed. :lol:

I had played Ys before by renting a Turbo CD unit, so the voice acting in Last Alert was...shockingly bad in comparison even back then. As the years have passed I've grown to love how bad the voice is, although it's rare to run into other gamers (in RL) who "get" my fascination with the voice acting in this game, let alone even heard of it.

akamichi

I never heard any of the Last Alert voice acting, but I've heard a lot of bad things about it.  One day I'll track it down and play through it myself.  :)  

Quote from: "Joe Redifer"By the way, the manual for Last Alert says to keep watching after the end credits for a big secret!  Nothing happens except a picture of Guy Kazama and a bit of quick music.  "You can never trust, Leonard!"

IIRC, the jpn version tells you the code to access the debug menu or something like that.

Too bad it never got a sequel.   They could have stolen ideas from Metal Gear and come up with something really cool.

Kaminari

I think it helps appreciating (in a funny way) the US dub after having experienced the Japanese voiceover by Akira Kamiya.

td741

I bought Last Alert shortly after buying Final Zone II.  (It was in between SCD releases and the store was clearing them out.)

It's amazing how similar both games are in terms of voice acting, gameplay.  (Although Final Zone II had the various characters, and Last Alert had some varied mission goals. :P)[/list]

Joe Redifer

I used to own Final Zone II long, long ago.  As I recall, the game was extremely hard but I think I finally beat it.  Also I think there was a scene where some guy slapped a woman and called her a bitch.  And the voice actors are the same ones (at least some of them) from Last Alert.  How close is my memory of Final Zone II?

GUTS

The part where he slapped that stupid bitch and put her in her place is probably the BEST video game moment in history, seriously.

Keranu

Quote from: "GUTS"The part where he slapped that stupid bitch and put her in her place is probably the BEST video game moment in history, seriously.
Ameen.
IMG

torgo

My buddy and I laughed our asses off when that happened!
PS Nation

AlexKidd

While we're on the subject of Last Alert, do any of you have some tips for beating the fat guy with the 3-way shot? I keep going to see him with full health and then dying almost instantly? Does one hit from him kill you? If so, this is going to be pretty damn hard. I thought the game was fairly easy up until this point.

ParanoiaDragon

Last Alert is one of my absolutly favorite games ever, as is Bloody Wolf!  I would love to do a sequal someday, like Next Alert, with equally bad voice acting! :D
IMG