OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Your Daily Dose of Gaming.

Started by Ninja Spirit, 07/15/2005, 01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazydean

Finally beat Super Ghouls n Ghosts. Fuck those bosses!

Actually, the game was very enjoyable and is fun to replay as well. It's just the third and second to the last bosses that make it so difficult to finish.

crazydean

Tapatalk seems to be sending duplicate messages.

roflmao

I started playing through the Famicom version of Ys earlier this week. I'm playing it on my Retron5 with a translation patch. It's a mixed bag so far.

Some of the game looks really good. The cliffs before entering the shrine have some awesome detail. Adol looks good.

Some of the tunes are reproduced faithfully, but some they totally changed.

Some of the story has been changed. Things have been dropped, things have been added.

The grinding is obnoxious. I nearly level-capped Adol before making it to the second boss, because some of the enemies can do insane damage if you don't hit them right. And then a couple of levels later, they won't deal *any* damage.

Still, it's Ys, and that makes it pretty cool. I'll hopefully finish it this weekend.

JoshTurboTrollX

Dabbling a bit with Shovel Knight on the Nintendo Switch. I'm roughly 3/4 of the way thru now.  Actually went back a couple weeks ago to play thru the Xbone version to unlock the Battletoads stages. haha. Always a great time!  Love this game!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

crazydean

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 02/15/2018, 02:30 PMDabbling a bit with Shovel Knight on the Nintendo Switch. I'm roughly 3/4 of the way thru now.  Actually went back a couple weeks ago to play thru the Xbone version to unlock the Battletoads stages. haha. Always a great time!  Love this game!
Shovel Knight is a great game. I played it constantly until I beat it the first time,
but after that, I lost interest.

I just bought a Wii U again. I sold my first one because I didn't want to pay $50 for used games. Now that the Switch is out, everything is much more reasonable. Plus, I paid far less for the console than I did last time.

The Wii U came with Super Mario 3D World. It's not great. I'm a huge Mario fan, but this one feels like a step back from Galaxy 2 on the Wii. Mario Odyssey is amazing compared to 3D world, but it's not so impressive next to Galaxy 2.

roflmao

My son is currently playing through Galaxy 2 and loving it. I don't think he cared for 3D world either. I haven't really played either, but I've watched him some and concur.

Gypsy

Quote from: crazydean on 02/15/2018, 05:03 PM
Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 02/15/2018, 02:30 PMDabbling a bit with Shovel Knight on the Nintendo Switch. I'm roughly 3/4 of the way thru now.  Actually went back a couple weeks ago to play thru the Xbone version to unlock the Battletoads stages. haha. Always a great time!  Love this game!
Shovel Knight is a great game. I played it constantly until I beat it the first time,
but after that, I lost interest.

I just bought a Wii U again. I sold my first one because I didn't want to pay $50 for used games. Now that the Switch is out, everything is much more reasonable. Plus, I paid far less for the console than I did last time.

The Wii U came with Super Mario 3D World. It's not great. I'm a huge Mario fan, but this one feels like a step back from Galaxy 2 on the Wii. Mario Odyssey is amazing compared to 3D world, but it's not so impressive next to Galaxy 2.
3D world is okay. It was fun enough to beat but yeah if you put it up against stuff like Galaxy 2 or even NSMB U it's not as good.

All Wii U games are $0 btw. I have an extensive iso collection myself.  :dance:

As for what I've been playing lately. Mana Khemia 2. I liked the first one, and this is even better. Not sure why I never got to this one bitd. I played the Iris series too, and just kind of absent mindedly skipped this and played the Arland series next instead. I have Shallie and never opened it, so I haven't bought any of the recent trilogy either. Just kinda meh on the new entries.

I got to chapter 7 last night. The alchemy system is simple and effective. You can't slack too hard on making stuff because making items is tied to making your characters stronger. However if you synth everything you can, the game is going to be pretty easy. I immediately synth everything I can after getting into the next chapter. Currently, I need to grind out some battles a bit for the points you get to make my characters stronger. Well, I don't have to but I've enjoyed being overpowered lol.

The combat system is pretty easily abused by high speed and any moves where you get time stamps for additional attacks.

Story is herpderp anime nonsense.

In terms of audio my only complaint is that the game only has on track for certain things. So for example the alchemy music WILL be burned into the fabric of your brain by the end.

Visually the character portraits are pretty nice anime style drawings. The dungeon graphics are pretty bad and water is comical. It's PS2 though and overall I really just don't care too much. I can't comment much on other technical aspects because I've had some load issues but it's because the PS2 I'm playing it on has a dodgy laser. I would think it's totally fine on a good PS2 or playing from an hdd but I haven't played that way.

Overall I would certainly recommend it for people that like JRPGs.

xcrement5x

Quote from: Gypsy on 02/16/2018, 09:43 AMI can't comment much on other technical aspects because I've had some load issues but it's because the PS2 I'm playing it on has a dodgy laser. I would think it's totally fine on a good PS2 or playing from an hdd but I haven't played that way.

It's funny you mention this part because I'm pretty sure this game is what killed the laser in my original phat PS2.  When I played through it a second time, I started having read issues as well so I just switched to HDLoader and had no issues. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 02/16/2018, 10:46 AM
Quote from: Gypsy on 02/16/2018, 09:43 AMI can't comment much on other technical aspects because I've had some load issues but it's because the PS2 I'm playing it on has a dodgy laser. I would think it's totally fine on a good PS2 or playing from an hdd but I haven't played that way.

It's funny you mention this part because I'm pretty sure this game is what killed the laser in my original phat PS2.  When I played through it a second time, I started having read issues as well so I just switched to HDLoader and had no issues.
Heh, interesting. The PS2 I'm playing it on reads PS1 games only when it really feels like it so I know the laser is already going.

jtucci31

Beat the Shadow of the Colossus remake on PS4. It was really great to play it all over again, even if it took me half the amount of time. Still great, still a little tough to control, still a wonderfully emotional game.

Been playing Night in the Woods and Stardew Valley on Switch. Also got Bayonetta 1&2 and Wonder Boy on Switch. I have a lot of games to get through in the next month or two.

Quote from: guest on 02/05/2018, 09:05 PMPlayed some Castlevania Chronicles (X68K mode of course). Challenging but a lot of fun, and the best soundtrack (3 versions no less) in the entire series!!

I think I like it more than Super IV but less than Rondo and Bloodlines overall.
Yeah that soundtrack is soooo damn good, you're making me miss my x68k.

crazydean

Quote from: guest on 02/18/2018, 06:59 PMBeat the Shadow of the Colossus remake on PS4. It was really great to play it all over again, even if it took me half the amount of time. Still great, still a little tough to control, still a wonderfully emotional game.
I played through it on the PS3 last year for the first time and really enjoyed it. I'm a little disappointed that they didn't add anything new to the PS4 remaster. There were a lot of unused colossi that would have been cool to see, even if they had just added it as a bonus after you finish the game.

If you're interested in the unused colossi: http://teamico.wikia.com/wiki/Unused_Colossi

bartre

I've been playing Star Wars the Force Unleashed.
it's.... got its flaws.

it's fun enough, but there's 2 major problems and a 3rd not as major problem

1 - stunlocks. holy hell, some single enemies can stunlock you if you're near a wall and get 3+ free hits,
this gets even worse on levels like felucia, which have lots of smaller enemies.

2 - Bosses. this should have been the highlight of the game, but it mostly breaks down into "spam the attack that they don't 100% block and run away when they attack"  There's so many times where a cool encounter broke down into "use your force lightning and run away until it recharges" or "x,x,x,b...x,x,xb...x,x,x,b..."

3 - (the minor problem) platforming.  it's not a bigger deal because there's not a whole lot of places where you can really fall to your death, but the definition of impassable slope is pretty vague in this game, and more than once the platforms you move with the force just made me slide right off them.

PukeSter

RePlayed some Rayman Legends, VVVVVV and hotline Miami on my pc. All classic games!

Was thinking of replaying Postal 2 so I could pee on terrorists, I'll save that for another day.

Digi.k

I have an addiction and I can't break away from it...

It's called Monster Hunter World..

nectarsis

I hate to admit it but I've been playing Call of Duty Declassified on the vita (gets a LOT more hate than it should)...also alternating between Final Fantasy 3 PSP (beats the DS version handily), and Dragons Curse TG-16.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

TheClash603

My friends are not gamers.  The only time I get them to play is once a month or so when they come over, we will just play a lot of random shit I own.

With that said, they do all have Switches and for whatever reason got into Rocket League.  So now I am playing that, cause I feel like I need to in order to fit in.  Plus, it's actually not too bad for the $16 it cost on sale.

Digi.k

Someone at Capcom who worked on Monster Hunter World wanted to share their love of an old pce game!
IMG

Gypsy

Already over 40 hours into Pillars of Eternity.  :derpcat:

PukeSter

Been replaying megaman games lately, my favorite nes games. Played through 4 yesterday and 5 today. Also played through 4 Minus Infinity, which is an outstanding remake/hack

crazydean

Quote from: guest on 04/06/2018, 12:54 AMBeen replaying megaman games lately, my favorite nes games. Played through 4 yesterday and 5 today. Also played through 4 Minus Infinity, which is an outstanding remake/hack
I've had a tube from Mega Man X stuck in my head this week so I beat a few bosses tonight. It's funny how difficult I found this game when I was young.

crazydean

Quote from: guest on 04/06/2018, 12:54 AMBeen replaying megaman games lately, my favorite nes games. Played through 4 yesterday and 5 today. Also played through 4 Minus Infinity, which is an outstanding remake/hack
I've had a tube from Mega Man X stuck in my head this week so I beat a few bosses tonight. It's funny how difficult I found this game when I was young.

Gypsy

Finished up Pillars of Eternity. 9/10

zetastrike

I finally got a working PCE gamepad after having one with a faulty II button for a while (after taking it apart and cleaning it inside out).  I spent last night playing Gradius II, Rondo, and Bonanza Bros.  All fantastic games.

nopepper

I have been playing Cruisn USA on the N64, which I got for a dollar at the Mile High Flea Market. I remember this game getting panned by critics back in the day and me also looking down upon it when I played it at my dentists office (!) , as the frame rate and music were absolutely awful when played through that 13" CRT he had.

Well, I started playing it, and kept playing, and couldnt put it down. WTF?!?

This game is absolutely awesome. I wonder if I would think differently had I payed more than a dollar for it, but I'm almost tempted to say that it would be worth retail. It just has such a great sensation of speed, and the music eventually grows on you, and the little random elements, such as weaving cars and weird screams here and there, to keep things interesting.

I'm now going through the races at the highest difficulty and the game is still keeping me engrossed. This is probably the best "bad" game I've ever played. It just seems like the game is very self aware about it's cheesiness, and it never loses track that it needs to be fun. It reminds me quite a lot of Road Rash on the Genesis...the controls are similar, the sense of speed, the choppy frame rate, the twanky super catchy music...yeah, this game is great and a ton of fun just like Road Rash.

gheebee

Been playing Ittle Dew 2+ on Switch since Sat. and love this game! It's basically like the original Zelda except cute/silly. Originally I was getting pretty frustrated by the later bosses but now that I've finally gotten used to them I can't think of a single thing I don't like about the game. Nice graphics, great music in certain parts, occasionally funny dialog, and pretty satisfying gameplay. Already beat the main part of the game and am currently working on the last secret dungeon so I can get the final key to fight the final boss. I highly recommend this one, if anyone picks it up try and get the day one edition with the map and manual. I got the regular edition not realizing that this could still be had for around the same price. :/

Also got Gal Gun 2 yesterday and tried that out, it's a pretty ridiculous game but also a lot of fun. I love fps but hate them on consoles because playing with a controller really sucks compared to keyboard and mouse on a PC but with this one you stand still while you're fighting so it's really not that bad. Sadly this game has a distinction that no other console game I've ever owned has, it froze/crashed during the first hour I played it. :/ Fortunately everything seemed alright after; my game was saved and it didn't crash again in the hour and a half or so I played it for after closing and restarting it.

roflmao

I picked up Starpoint Gemini Warlords on Steam a couple of days ago and have been having a blast playing it. It's currently on sale for about $12.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/419480/Starpoint_Gemini_Warlords/

Gypsy

Yakuza 6.  :catastrophy:

geise

Sword of Vermilion, Armed Police Batrider, Unravel. Still early in the day with time to obey. Been humming Star Parodier's title theme song in my head all day. So more than likely going to play that.

Digi.k

Started playing the Witcher 3 game of the year edition.  Really liking the mood and setting despite slightly buggy gameplay and almost unfair predicaments it places you into very early on in the game when you are underpowered and under levelled....

jtucci31

Recently beat Bloodborne, didn't beat every optional boss but still got the good ending and felt pretty good. What a great game, can't wait to try more Souls games!

Also been playing some Donkey Kong Country on the snes classic in preparation for Tropical Freeze on the Switch this Friday.

nectarsis

Last week or so I've re-started Tales of Destiny (PS1), and getting ready to start Dragon Quest XI (PS4) ASAP.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436