loads of people I've never met have died

Started by soop, 04/03/2013, 11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soop

So I don't really get it why people get so upset when someone famous dies. Today all over Facebook, people are saying Iain Banks is dead, how sad.  I didn't particularly like what I read of him, and no, it's never (usually) a good thing when people die, but what gives?

I'm not saying I'm immune to it either, I can probably rack my mind for examples that have saddened me.  But at the end of the day, it's either selfishness (author won't produce any more books I'd like to read - and then again, how can you be sad for the loss of something you never had?) or a misplaced sense of familiarity due to the media.

It's not like most of these people weren't amply rewarded during their time on earth, with money, fame, or just the sheer joy of doing what they loved.

Man, humans are weird.

Pftt, I just read through the responses here http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1298973 and I guess I'm right in my mind.  It's ok to be like "aww shucks", but the minute you actually feel any emotional angst it's like you need to get a hold of yourself.  POUR BEER ON THE GROUND, THAT'S OK
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

retroguy

Well, I did grieve a little when George Carlin died. His writing has had a huge impact on my life because he was one of the only people who not only saw how the world actually is (as opposed to how people think it is), but was willing to stand up and say so. Every day, I try and follow his example in the hopes of waking people up to reality, although I know such an effort is ultimately pointless.
I am bad and that's good. I will never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.

SignOfZeta

I don't feel bad about Carlin dying. He's the only good comedian to live anything like a long life and retain his edge the ENTIRE time. I saw him on his last tour telling jokes that never got recorded, amazing. His second to last special, his 19th album, was the best thing he ever did. That's something people like The Rolling Stones could never say.

Guys like Bill Hicks, Andy Kaughman, Tony Wislon, and especially Carl Sagan, guys who died decades too early robbing us of a great deal...I get depressed just thinking about it.
IMG

420GOAT

I THINK when people from your era die, it makes us stop to think that our time may be near or we are getting old, also in art we see ourselves in what we like so when that person dies we felt connected with us, its kinda like losing a friend. I rarely get sad when someone famous dies, especially if they had a great life.
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the fucking car.

DragonmasterDan

Famous people can have an impact on you despite not knowing them. A favorite author, writer, actor or someone who inspires you can have a great impact on who you are as a person. And I see it as being perfectly okay to grieve their loss.
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

Unless they are 104 years old. There is nothing sad about a great man kicking the bucket at an advanced age.
IMG

esteban

STATUS: You will laugh, but I was sad--for a few moments--when I read that the actor who plays Captain Peacock on Are You Being Served? died recently. I was then further surprised when I learned that only one cast member (jug ears boss) is still alive.

BOTTOM LINE: Sometimes even the most hardened heart gets caught off-guard about his/her own mortality. Popular culture is just one of many triggers.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Tatsujin

I sure get sad when a musician or actor dies which accompanied me my whole life with great pleasure.
just a normal thing i guess.

Sure i don't feel the same or even anything for other artists that i was never connected to or whichsoever never gave me anything.
Just a normal thing i guess.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Nando

Quote from: Tatsujin on 04/03/2013, 11:00 PMI sure get sad when a musician or actor dies which accompanied me my whole life with great pleasure.
just a normal thing i guess.

Sure i don't feel the same or even anything for other artists that i was never connected to or whichsoever never gave me anything.
Just a normal thing i guess.
Pretty much, I've really enjoyed Bank's Culture novels and it sucks that a creative person that I enjoy reading, won't be producing more pieces, but alas that's life....

retroguy

I am bad and that's good. I will never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.

TheClash603

I read that Roger Ebert died and I instantly thought this thread killed him...   :/

NecroPhile

At least Ebert won't continue to suffer, and I mean not having to review any more Tyler Perry movies not the cancer.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: retroguy on 04/03/2013, 01:40 PMWell, I did grieve a little when George Carlin died. His writing has had a huge impact on my life because he was one of the only people who not only saw how the world actually is (as opposed to how people think it is), but was willing to stand up and say so. Every day, I try and follow his example in the hopes of waking people up to reality, although I know such an effort is ultimately pointless.
My dad introduced me to him in the 80's when I was a we lad.  He was the absolute best IMHO.  I saw him live in Red Bank NJ and then he died so i am glad to have at least seen him.  What a master.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

retroguy

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 04/05/2013, 02:04 PM
Quote from: retroguy on 04/03/2013, 01:40 PMWell, I did grieve a little when George Carlin died. His writing has had a huge impact on my life because he was one of the only people who not only saw how the world actually is (as opposed to how people think it is), but was willing to stand up and say so. Every day, I try and follow his example in the hopes of waking people up to reality, although I know such an effort is ultimately pointless.
My dad introduced me to him in the 80's when I was a we lad.  He was the absolute best IMHO.  I saw him live in Red Bank NJ and then he died so i am glad to have at least seen him.  What a master.
Yeah, my uncle and I saw him live in 2001, before he did the "Complaints and Grievances" special. He was still working on some of the material, which he told us, so there were a few places where he read stuff out of a notebook. That's why I've always thought of him as a writer first and comedian second.

Jordan

I for one have never understood all the hoopla when someone famous dies. I get it that folks are sad for famous creative people like George Carlin but the other fame filled folks ?!? Whats the big deal. I'm thinking about Princess Di, people went crazy when she died and that I just don't get. People are dying right now. What is it every 8 seconds or something? I don't remember. As far as I'm concerned most famous people including royalty are just another person to me. Before she died I didn't even know she existed; and yes the circumstances of her death had a part 2 play in all the attenion but really what's the big deal. When Robert Jordan died I was very sad and not just because he wasn't able to complete the series. He had spent 25+ years of his life on that series and he was tired of it. He had a bunch of other stories he wanted to tell but never did because WOT took up all his time. He was looking forward 2 writting something else and just when he was almost finished, bang he's dead. Now that's sad. He never moved on.

Tatsujin

You still didn't get the point. As I mentioned above, mostly only people care about the death of a better known person, when they were emotional connected to them, for probably over a half of their lifetime or even longer.

musicians that made you happy uncountable times with their creations. actors that made you laugh, cry, feel good or just let you feel any kind of strong emotional feelings etc. for many times.

one person likes that, the other person likes this. so it very depends on which what one will have stronger, lesser or almost zero emotional feelings when someone had passed away.

you see, many people really loved prin diana, so they sure got very emotional about her death, but which for me never was a big thing to worry or care about much, beside it was a tragedy just like many other face every day.

but on contrary, when a john barry, richard wright or goerge harrison passed away, I was emotionally shocked as if someone very close to me died, since they had accompanied me my whole life.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

SignOfZeta

And the opposite of that, like when Margaret Thatcher dies, we should all throw a party.
IMG

Tatsujin

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/11/2013, 01:46 AMAnd the opposite of that, like when Margaret Thatcher dies, we should all throw a party.
and dance to the track below:

NightWolve

Quote from: Tatsujin on 04/11/2013, 01:33 AMYou still didn't get the point. As I mentioned above, mostly only people care about the death of a better known person, when they were emotional connected to them, for probably over a half of their lifetime or even longer.

musicians that made you happy uncountable times with their creations. actors that made you laugh, cry, feel good or just let you feel any kind of strong emotional feelings etc. for many times.

one person likes that, the other person likes this. so it very depends on which what one will have stronger, lesser or almost zero emotional feelings when someone had passed away.

you see, many people really loved prin diana, so they sure got very emotional about her death, but which for me never was a big thing to worry or care about much, beside it was a tragedy just like many other face every day.

but on contrary, when a john barry, richard wright or goerge harrison passed away, I was emotionally shocked as if someone very close to me died, since they had accompanied me my whole life.
Yeah, that's pretty much my reply to this. I don't get why it wouldn't be understood. Saying that, well, since you've never met them and you don't personally know them, you shouldn't AT ALL care that they died is a simplification of the matter... You shouldn't care enough to pay a simple RIP respect, etc. That seems to be what I can discern of Soop's view.

I actually mentioned Roger Ebert's death recently myself. I'm a Chicagoan and I used to watch his show with Gene Siskel on occasion growing up, so I enjoyed his reviews. Learning of his death prompted a respectful RIP (unlike something that Zeta mentions, an opposite feeling, e.g. partisan hacks celebrating a political opponent's death). Anyway, big deal... So I wrote a short paragraph and shared a photo of the guy. His death of course didn't come as a shock given the state that he was in for a while and it being made known; due to the cancer, doctors took out his jaw, so he couldn't speak anymore, and far worse than that, he didn't really have a face anymore either, etc...

EDIT: Ah fuck it, I couldn't resist! For comparison:

On Osama Bin Laden's death:
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/02/2011, 10:52 AMRejoicing over someone's death is perverse, in this case even from a perspective of pure math.
On Margaret Thatcher's death:
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/11/2013, 01:46 AMwe should all throw a party.
Quite an interesting change of heart by Zeta there... ;)

Quote from: guest on 04/05/2013, 09:48 AMAt least Ebert won't continue to suffer, and I mean not having to review any more Tyler Perry movies not the cancer.
:lol:

esteban

IMG Hany, fighting back a tear, reveals, "I weep incessantly when celebrities die. I am stoic at funerals for my loved ones."
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG