What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cho_aniki and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

MNKyDeth

Revisiting Neutopia

Been some years since I played it and beat it. Currently in the third area...  The sky area. I just got the strongest shield and working my way through that dungeon. Then there is one more in this area and then to the door behind the old lady.

I will use we had more games like this really. I love exploring all the screens and trying to find anything in the game. Took me like an hour to remember where the guy was with the falcon boots. And I stumbled around that area until I found an NPC that gave me a hint to where he was.

I am thinking of playing Neutopia 2 afterwards and beat them back to back. But that might be for tomorrow. Haven't decided yet.

esteban

Quote from: MNKyDeth on 05/21/2017, 04:51 PMRevisiting Neutopia

Been some years since I played it and beat it. Currently in the third area...  The sky area. I just got the strongest shield and working my way through that dungeon. Then there is one more in this area and then to the door behind the old lady.

I will use we had more games like this really. I love exploring all the screens and trying to find anything in the game. Took me like an hour to remember where the guy was with the falcon boots. And I stumbled around that area until I found an NPC that gave me a hint to where he was.

I am thinking of playing Neutopia 2 afterwards and beat them back to back. But that might be for tomorrow. Haven't decided yet.
Awesome.

My kids are going play Neutopia and Zelda NES this summer, I think. I'm not sure if they will like it, yet.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Mathius

Quote from: esteban on 05/21/2017, 08:09 PM
Quote from: MNKyDeth on 05/21/2017, 04:51 PMRevisiting Neutopia

Awesome.

My kids are going play Neutopia and Zelda NES this summer, I think. I'm not sure if they will like it, yet.
Try an experiment and make them play Neutopia before exposing them to Zelda. Most of us never had that opportunity. Might be interesting to see how they react.

MrMarth

I just 100%-ed Rondo of Blood last night, boy that felt rewarding and satisfying. It's actually been a really long time since i've had the time to play a retro game to completion.
This TV looks like an apple

crazydean

Played through Neutopia and Zelda NES for the first time within the past year or so. I found Neutopia to be the better of the two but it's a pretty obvious copy.

Personally I didn't much care for the original Zelda even though I would put Link to the Past and Ocarina or Time in my top ten. I've found that the people who revere it so highly are the ones who played it back in the day when there wasn't much to compare it to.

gheebee

Played through God Panic last night and while I like the game quite a bit for it's weird/silly art I can't get over how easy it was since I was able to beat this game after playing it just 3 or 4 times. After you beat the 5 levels the game resets and you have to replay the levels with slightly different artwork but that's really it, the game doesn't even appear to get any harder the second time it makes you run through it. All in all it's a decent game, I just hoped it would be a bit longer.

esteban

Quote from: gheebee on 05/22/2017, 11:05 AMPlayed through God Panic last night and while I like the game quite a bit for it's weird/silly art I can't get over how easy it was since I was able to beat this game after playing it just 3 or 4 times. After you beat the 5 levels the game resets and you have to replay the levels with slightly different artwork but that's really it, the game doesn't even appear to get any harder the second time it makes you run through it. All in all it's a decent game, I just hoped it would be a bit longer.
It is ridiculously easy (like Star Parodia), but do this for a nice challenge:

(1) Use a TurboStick
(2) Steer with left foot, shoot with right foot.
(3) This is fun with friends, of course, to determine if anyone has genuine Feet of Fury.

Yes, I've actually done this. And yes, folks immediately committed when they saw my nasty, nasty toes and leathery heels. My skin is so rough it actually actually SCRATCHED the TurboStick.

Quote from: crazydean on 05/22/2017, 01:03 AMPlayed through Neutopia and Zelda NES for the first time within the past year or so. I found Neutopia to be the better of the two but it's a pretty obvious copy.

Personally I didn't much care for the original Zelda even though I would put Link to the Past and Ocarina or Time in my top ten. I've found that the people who revere it so highly are the ones who played it back in the day when there wasn't much to compare it to.
I love the original Zelda, but I played it when it was originally released, so I guess it is difficult for me to see the game as anything but a damn classic.

Quote from: Mathius on 05/21/2017, 09:17 PMTry an experiment and make them play Neutopia before exposing them to Zelda. Most of us never had that opportunity. Might be interesting to see how they react.
Yes, that would be interesting, actually. It might help them stick with Zelda, too, since they have responded really well to games that I introduce on TG-16 first.

New Adventure Island/JJ & Jeff --> Adventure Island on NES.

Gypsy

I'll be trying out a few new to me games tonight (just came in from Japan). Cheapies all of them. Will post my vapid thoughts on them.

Ranma, YYH and Road Spirits.

esteban

I am still enjoying OPERATION WOLF.

Also, the artwork for this game is pretty spectacular for its meticulous composition of Uzi, Knife, Rose, pedals, giant splotch of blue paint.

IMG

Mathius

Played some Die Hard this morning just to listen to that silly first level tune. It's so stupid, yet infectious especially when that lead instrument kicks in. I love it.

Gypsy

Quote from: Gypsy on 05/22/2017, 04:51 PMI'll be trying out a few new to me games tonight (just came in from Japan). Cheapies all of them. Will post my vapid thoughts on them.

Ranma, YYH and Road Spirits.
The YYH game honestly just isn't very good. Feels like it should be a light gun game. It's annoying to move the cursor with the dpad. Maybe this game is mouse compatible and that would help, idk.

The Ranma game (the super cd one) is excellent. Fun scenes in between rounds and the gameplay is good enough for a basic brawler.

Road Spirits is exactly what I expected, an average Outrun clone. Gets the job done and thankfully has select-able music to prevent insanity.

gheebee

Quote from: esteban on 05/22/2017, 04:37 PM(1) Use a TurboStick
Funny you should suggest this because while I don't have a Turbo Stick I have a NES Advantage and reading that made me remember trying to do exactly this with it and a some NES game when I was a kid. I didn't do well, iirc. Maybe I'll finally see about getting the old NES Advantage working again soon...

esteban

Quote from: gheebee on 05/22/2017, 11:05 PM
Quote from: esteban on 05/22/2017, 04:37 PM(1) Use a TurboStick
Funny you should suggest this because while I don't have a Turbo Stick I have a NES Advantage and reading that made me remember trying to do exactly this with it and a some NES game when I was a kid. I didn't do well, iirc. Maybe I'll finally see about getting the old NES Advantage working again soon...
I might make a video if I can play some games decently enough with my feet.

:)

I'm not joking.

GoldenWheels

So I finally got a copy of Ninja Gaiden, I've wanted it forever...why did I bother getting a copy of Ninja Gaiden? I think the NES game is  just as good and the scrolling in the PC Engine version is almost enough to give me motion sickness.

And I still suck at it!  :D

GoldenWheels

Quote from: Gypsy on 05/22/2017, 07:41 PMRoad Spirits is exactly what I expected, an average Outrun clone. Gets the job done and thankfully has select-able music to prevent insanity.
I found it so damn easy it's practically a commuter simulation. But I'll admit I played it all the way through.

Track 5 kicks ass on the "stereo".

Gypsy

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 05/26/2017, 10:03 AM
Quote from: Gypsy on 05/22/2017, 07:41 PMRoad Spirits is exactly what I expected, an average Outrun clone. Gets the job done and thankfully has select-able music to prevent insanity.
I found it so damn easy it's practically a commuter simulation. But I'll admit I played it all the way through.

Well, I was wondering if it got more difficult but this answers my question LOL.

Got some sports games I was waiting on from Japan, so I know what I'm playing tonight. Power League 3/4 and the Italian licensed footy game.

GoldenWheels

Quote from: Gypsy on 05/26/2017, 10:48 AM
Quote from: GoldenWheels on 05/26/2017, 10:03 AM

Well, I was wondering if it got more difficult but this answers my question LOL.

Got some sports games I was waiting on from Japan, so I know what I'm playing tonight. Power League 3/4 and the Italian licensed footy game.
I think there is maybe only one or two tracks where you even need to use the brakes!

Gypsy

Yeah I breezed through the first few tracks then went to try out the Ranma game (which I liked so much that I finished it on the first go).

Freeway2

After not having much luck with Gekisha Boy I finally put some serious time in today and beat it.  This game is definitely in a catagory all its own, im not sure what you would call it. I've been mainly playing Japanese titles that haven't been played much or at all.
"If I took this cigarette and put it out on you would you love me"

esteban

Quote from: Freeway2 on 05/27/2017, 11:00 PMAfter not having much luck with Gekisha Boy I finally put some serious time in today and beat it.  This game is definitely in a catagory all its own, im not sure what you would call it. I've been mainly playing Japanese titles that haven't been played much or at all.
Gekisha Boy was originally titled:

Operation Wolf: Sharpshooter

...since Gekisha Boy requires the precise skills and temperance of a sniper, not a trigger-happy idiot with an Uzi.

This was a decade before it was commonplace for fraternity brothers to yell "headshot!" before, during and after playing video games/masturbating.

Gekisha Boy is from the era when photography was a skilled art (only a roll of film in your holster), unlike today's  trigger-happy idiots who treat their camera like an Uzi and their subjects like collateral damage.

Gekisha Boy belongs in the genre of "Miscellaneous Shoot-em-up"

...but we all know that it deserves more respect, as I press "send" to have this post automatically and simultaneously published on my Bookface, Instaham, Snapshat, Twit, etc. accounts.

Gypsy

esteban

My twins and I are playing:

Bomberman '94
Hany on the Road
Toy Shop Boys
R-Type (HuCARD and CD)
Shinobi

...but Toy Shop Boys is pretty tough for them.

crazydean

Quote from: esteban on 05/28/2017, 06:07 PMMy twins and I are playing:

Bomberman '94
Hany on the Road
Toy Shop Boys
R-Type (HuCARD and CD)
Shinobi

So does that mean R-type is easy?

esteban

Quote from: crazydean on 05/28/2017, 06:36 PM
Quote from: esteban on 05/28/2017, 06:07 PMMy twins and I are playing:

Bomberman '94
Hany on the Road
Toy Shop Boys
R-Type (HuCARD and CD)
Shinobi

So does that mean R-type is easy?
Jajajjajajajja.

No.

I hope my daughter will make it to the first boss one of these years.

seieienbu

I beat Last Alert in one sitting a couple of nights ago.  The last time I beat the game must have been around 15 years ago.  The couple of times I've booted it up since didn't go so well.  Once the power went out and another time I got lost in the snow level looking for one of the POWs and died via timeout twice before giving up in frustration.

Anyway, my thoughts on the game are the same now as they ever were.  It does an excellent job at being an average action title.  The game is fun to play and is in a genre which the Turbo doesn't exactly have a ton of titles.  The story elements, CD soundtrack, and even the laughable voice acting all add to its charm.  The game is great and everyone should give it a go if you haven't.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

GoldenWheels

F1-Circus

Actually really enjoying it too. And damn is it fast.

(if anybody has any tips LMK....I'm only on Brazil, the second track, and have no idea how to adjust my cars parts etc to help me)

TelcoSurveyor

I love the F1 circus games, but yeah they are super fast.  I also would like to know some tuning tips since I seem to be back and forth a lot unless I slow way down.
I'm the Wind, Baby!

Freeway2

I've been whooping Hit The Ice lately along with Soilder Blade--level 5 so far

TheClash603

Quote from: Freeway2 on 06/16/2017, 11:00 PMI've been whooping Hit The Ice lately along with Soilder Blade--level 5 so far
Hit The Ice = Underrated

Gredler

TV Sports Hockey is way better than hit the ice, and people hate that game, so I would say yes hit the ice us under rated.

Both are fantastic and should be played whenever a two + player get together going.

I didn't play tv sports hockey today, but I should have.

Green Beret

Hi to all,
I am new in the forum and in the PC Engine. I have bought a DUO R from doujindance and have it resting at home without games :( I had orderd PC Denjin the very same day but that Japanese seller and his postal service was too slow in comparison with doujindance. Japanese air mail is usually fast except this time.

What is your opinion guys for doujindance and his mod work?
Thanks

GoldenWheels

Quote from: TelcoSurveyor on 06/16/2017, 01:42 PMI love the F1 circus games, but yeah they are super fast.  I also would like to know some tuning tips since I seem to be back and forth a lot unless I slow way down.
I tried mucking around with them last night but changed way too many things at once and was unable to tell what did what, if anything. I did find a faq, it's for the famicom version but I assume the settings stuff didn't change:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/tg16/588958-f1-circus/faqs/55700

I'm surprised how into this game I am getting...I must have played for an hour last night just trying to beat one track. Very much a case of "damn this game is pissing me off/let me try this one more time".

And damn you A. Semna!!!!!! I may never take first with this jerk racing!  :D

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Green Beret on 06/17/2017, 04:22 AMHi to all,
I am new in the forum and in the PC Engine. I have bought a DUO R from doujindance and have it resting at home without games :( I had orderd PC Denjin the very same day but that Japanese seller and his postal service was too slow in comparison with doujindance. Japanese air mail is usually fast except this time.

Thanks
Uh-oh.
IMG

seieienbu

Quote from: Green Beret on 06/17/2017, 04:22 AMHi to all,

Thanks
In the event that you're not a troll account and actually asking a legit question, there's a thread that just popped up about this subject the other day.

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=22346.0

o.pwuaioc

Freeway2

Just  beat Blazing Lazers tonight after picking it up a few days ago.  It felt really easy on regular difficulty and was a nice change of pace to the shooters that make you roid out.  I haven't given T.V. Sports Hockey much play time yet but will definitely do so after enjoying Hit The Ice.  I've had one of that guys modded Duo-R's for a year and haven't had any problems though I've seen pictures of his work(im a little scared to open it up and look :)

crazydean

Quote from: Freeway2 on 06/20/2017, 02:19 AMJust  beat Blazing Lazers tonight after picking it up a few days ago.  It felt really easy on regular difficulty and was a nice change of pace to the shooters that make you roid out. 
Easy, eh? It's not especially hard, but I still can't get through the boss rush. Someday I'll finish it...

seieienbu

I beat Valis 2 in one game today.  The last time I played it was a few years ago and I recall levels 4 and 5 kicking my ass.  Today I went in with full powerups and the sword wave projectile that nullifies enemy projectiles, took my time, and made it through without a problem. 

Hilariously, I died on the 3rd level boss right after I killed him and the game let me start on stage 4 with all of my powerups intact.

esteban

Quote from: seieienbu on 06/21/2017, 04:48 AMI beat Valis 2 in one game today.  The last time I played it was a few years ago and I recall levels 4 and 5 kicking my ass.  Today I went in with full powerups and the sword wave projectile that nullifies enemy projectiles, took my time, and made it through without a problem. 

Hilariously, I died on the 3rd level boss right after I killed him and the game let me start on stage 4 with all of my powerups intact.
Valis II is too easy.

It should have been either (1) much longer or (2) more challenging.

Or, it should have had a "challenge mode" for the folks who wanted to see an extended ending cinema.

I have dreamed of this.

seieienbu

I think I could do a 1 life clear if I played it again.  That being said, level 5 if you start with no powerups isn't exactly a cakewalk.

PukeSter

Quote from: crazydean on 06/20/2017, 03:09 PM
Quote from: Freeway2 on 06/20/2017, 02:19 AMJust  beat Blazing Lazers tonight after picking it up a few days ago.  It felt really easy on regular difficulty and was a nice change of pace to the shooters that make you roid out. 
Easy, eh? It's not especially hard, but I still can't get through the boss rush. Someday I'll finish it...
I can't get through Blazing Lazers unless I keep stocking myself with shields.

I beat Rainbow Islands today on PCE-CD. Such an amazing platformer and port! It's nice that you can save your game and go back to previous worlds to get the big diamonds and the special permanent upgrades. Fairy + Wing= unstoppable

T2KFreeker

Playing Insanity on my Duo that actually works...
END OF LINE.

exodus

I'm currently playing *nothing* on my turbo because all my systems are getting recapped and I'm getting separation anxiety over here

GoldenWheels

Still playing F-1 Circus.

My improvement as a driver, however, has plateaued.

esteban

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 07/03/2017, 12:09 PMStill playing F-1 Circus.

I'm going to revisit the F-1 genre this week.

From what I remember, some games have your car so close to border of the screen that it required "twitch" reflexes...MotoRoader was a bit like this when you built a swift car and you were in the lead.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:

Hany on the Road—its much harder than I thought it would be! My kids and I still enjoy 2-player co-op, but you gotta keep concentrating, even during the lulls...

ELSE
   Splat!

GoldenWheels

Quote from: esteban on 07/03/2017, 12:19 PM

From what I remember, some games have your car so close to border of the screen that it required "twitch" reflexes...MotoRoader was a bit like this when you built a swift car and you were in the lead.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:

Hany on the Road—its much harder than I thought it would be! My kids and I still enjoy 2-player co-op, but you gotta keep concentrating, even during the lulls...

ELSE
   Splat!
It's so damn fast that even with a warning arrow popping up BEFORE the turns, you can't (well, I can't) take anything full speed. I see that arrow, I let off the gas. Coast through turn, accelerate. But am starting to think....this game just requires serious track memorization (my KINGDOM for an on screen track map!!!!!!)

I have F1 Circus on CD as well ("Pole to Win") and it has some presets for handling/balanced/top speed the other games don't, and I am copying the "handling" settings over to my huey game. Works better, but DAMN.....still hard. Still, series has me hooked.

BTW, I was playing Doraemon Dorabian the other night, and it was so easy it was frankly boring. But my 9 year old liked it, maybe one for your kids.

esteban

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 07/03/2017, 03:13 PM
Quote from: esteban on 07/03/2017, 12:19 PM

CURRENTLY PLAYING:

ELSE
   Splat!
It's so damn fast that even with a warning arrow popping up BEFORE the turns, you can't (well, I can't) take anything full speed. I see that arrow, I let off the gas. Coast through turn, accelerate. But am starting to think....this game just requires serious track memorization (my KINGDOM for an on screen track map!!!!!!)

I have F1 Circus on CD as well ("Pole to Win") and it has some presets for handling/balanced/top speed the other games don't, and I am copying the "handling" settings over to my huey game. Works better, but DAMN.....still hard. Still, series has me hooked.

BTW, I was playing Doraemon Dorabian the other night, and it was so easy it was frankly boring. But my 9 year old liked it, maybe one for your kids.
Yes, I wonder how much memorization is required (for example, not entire tracks, but the tricky sections...I've had to do that with most racing games).

I have Pole to Win, too. Maybe I'll start with that one?

Because I justified* the purchase as "for the kids" and not "for me", I have both Doraemon Huey and CD...my kids definitely like the game, but, yes, it is not much of a challenge for "us"... (they like the Cratermaze game, too).

* However, the truth is that I wanted to compare the two games.

GoldenWheels

Quote from: esteban on 07/03/2017, 03:36 PMI have Pole to Win, too. Maybe I'll start with that one?

Because I justified* the purchase as "for the kids" and not "for me", I have both Doraemon Huey and CD...my kids definitely like the game, but, yes, it is not much of a challenge for "us"... (they like the Cratermaze game, too).

* However, the truth is that I wanted to compare the two games.

Pole to Win has some nice audio etc and better images due to the CD. I think I like the huey versions just as much though. Nice thing the CD one has though is the pre sets for settings, whereas the others ones are just like...figure that shit out yoself!

Buying  a game to compare two versions is some crazyness esteban. I don't have F1 Circus coming for the Super Famicom basically just based on the exact same curiosity. Nope, not at all.  8)

esteban

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 07/03/2017, 03:47 PM...

... Nice thing the CD one has though is the pre sets for settings, whereas the others ones are just like...figure that shit out yoself!

Buying  a game to compare two versions is some crazyness esteban. I don't have F1 Circus coming for the Super Famicom basically just based on the exact same curiosity. Nope, not at all.  8)
(1) Yes, when you mentioned that you used the pre-sets from Pole to Win to help you with Huey F-1, that "Eureka!" moment for you, a dim light flickered in my foggy gray cells—"Why should I recreate the frustration you went through?" I can skip that. :)

(2) that reminds me of another pair of games I want to compare: Somebody recently reminded me that there is a SFC spiritual successor to Victory Run! But, now I forget the title (I usually write this down in my notebook, but, damn, I can't find it). If you didn't know already, Victory Run is Pole Position/Rad Racer+.

crazydean