Gamedude.com still in business?

Started by Magister, 01/22/2017, 02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magister

Been trying to email them and call them about getting some prices on games and can't get ahold of them.  Website looks to be active.  Wondering if anyone has bought from them lately?
This Space For Rent.

HailingTheThings

^ Did you try calling them during business hours?
IMG

Magister

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 01/22/2017, 08:12 PM^ Did you try calling them during business hours?
Yep.  Tried calling them a few times at different times.  Tried emailing them a few times as well.  Read some reviews about the company and it seems I'm not the only one that has had issues with them not answering the phone or responding to emails.  Not a good way to run a business.
This Space For Rent.

TheClash603

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Magister on 01/22/2017, 09:55 PM
Quote from: HailingTheThings on 01/22/2017, 08:12 PM^ Did you try calling them during business hours?
Yep.  Tried calling them a few times at different times.  Tried emailing them a few times as well.  Read some reviews about the company and it seems I'm not the only one that has had issues with them not answering the phone or responding to emails.  Not a good way to run a business.
I wanna say that I recall someone a while back getting a hold of them, but don't remember how. I suggest going there in person and typing a letter, handing it to them. Yes.
IMG

Sarumaru

Quote from: Magister on 01/22/2017, 02:05 PMBeen trying to email them and call them about getting some prices on games and can't get ahold of them.  Website looks to be active.  Wondering if anyone has bought from them lately?
Ahh Game Dude. This is the place I would buy my first (used) TG16 from in 1991 and almost every game from that time. Good memories. I'll send someone to scope it out to see if it's still there. Kind of curious myself.

Magister

Quote from: Sarumaru on 01/23/2017, 06:32 PM
Quote from: Magister on 01/22/2017, 02:05 PMBeen trying to email them and call them about getting some prices on games and can't get ahold of them.  Website looks to be active.  Wondering if anyone has bought from them lately?
Ahh Game Dude. This is the place I would buy my first (used) TG16 from in 1991 and almost every game from that time. Good memories. I'll send someone to scope it out to see if it's still there. Kind of curious myself.
From what I've read, they still are.  Just that customer service has gone in the crapper over the years. 

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 01/23/2017, 05:05 PMI wanna say that I recall someone a while back getting a hold of them, but don't remember how. I suggest going there in person and typing a letter, handing it to them. Yes.
Since I'm in Michigan and the store is in California, that would be a bit difficult to pull off.
This Space For Rent.

TheClash603

Do most of your games have the Gamedude sticker?  You will be the envy of the forum.  I have a few games with them and it makes me smile every time I see one.

Sarumaru

Quote from: TheClash603 on 01/23/2017, 11:51 PM
Do most of your games have the Gamedude sticker?  You will be the envy of the forum.  I have a few games with them and it makes me smile every time I see one.
I'll have to check. The only things that would have the sticker that I might still have is maybe a CD tray. They used to put the stickers on the inside disc trays for used games. Funny thing too. I vividly remember the "game dude" mascot guy looking different from what I found on the web but I can't find any images of that design I'm thinking of except for that weird cowboy looking game dude. I liked the old one much better.

Magister

Whoever decides to go there in person needs to tell them to pull their heads out of their asses and start answering the phone and emails.  You would think they would have someone in charge of just doing those two things.
This Space For Rent.

esteban

Quote from: Magister on 01/26/2017, 07:06 PMWhoever decides to go there in person needs to tell them to pull their heads out of their asses and start answering the phone and emails.  You would think they would have someone in charge of just doing those two things.
I was just there last week.

They are so busy, constantly throughout the day, I think they don't have time to worry about phone/emails.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Magister

Quote from: esteban on 01/27/2017, 06:33 PM
Quote from: Magister on 01/26/2017, 07:06 PMWhoever decides to go there in person needs to tell them to pull their heads out of their asses and start answering the phone and emails.  You would think they would have someone in charge of just doing those two things.

They are so busy, constantly throughout the day, I think they don't have time to worry about phone/emails.
Well, if that's the case they need to either put some one in charge of just answering the phone and emails or do away with those options altogether.
This Space For Rent.

Magister

Do they have price lists that they hand out at the store?  I was looking at the price lists on the site, but they were last updated in November.
This Space For Rent.

esteban

Quote from: Magister on 01/27/2017, 08:07 PM
Quote from: esteban on 01/27/2017, 06:33 PM

Well, if that's the case they need to either put some one in charge of just answering the phone and emails or do away with those options altogether.
Well, the funny thing is that they do so much business (sheer volume), they don't have to worry about any deals/sales that they are unable to respond to.

Gamedude has a team of 15-18 people working 24 hour shifts (Thursday -Saturday) to handle the volume.

Magister

Quote from: esteban on 01/28/2017, 01:58 PMWell, the funny thing is that they do so much business (sheer volume), they don't have to worry about any deals/sales that they are unable to respond to.

Gamedude has a team of 15-18 people working 24 hour shifts (Thursday -Saturday) to handle the volume.
If that's how they want to run their business, that's fine.  Just shitty to know they are neglecting a chunk of people that helped that business grow.

They seem to have a good number of bad reviews.  https://www.yelp.com/biz/game-dude-north-hollywood
This Space For Rent.

TheClash603

Quote from: Magister on 01/28/2017, 07:41 PM
Quote from: esteban on 01/28/2017, 01:58 PMWell, the funny thing is that they do so much business (sheer volume), they don't have to worry about any deals/sales that they are unable to respond to.

If that's how they want to run their business, that's fine.  Just shitty to know they are neglecting a chunk of people that helped that business grow.

They seem to have a good number of bad reviews.  https://www.yelp.com/biz/game-dude-north-hollywood
Looks like attractive women shop at Gamedude, only adds to the mystique.

esteban

Quote from: TheClash603 on 01/28/2017, 07:53 PMLooks like attractive women shop at Gamedude, only adds to the mystique.
Exactly.

NecroPhile

Sweet!  I'm hoping for a new "don't be a collectard" video.  :lol:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

roflmao

Yeah, don't you know someone out there who knows where he lives? :)

esteban

Quote from: guest on 06/09/2017, 03:12 PMI thought about commissioning another video, but I'm entirely too lazy to follow through on it. Heading to gamedude here in a few!
I must know the status NOW.

PLEASE REPORT IMMEDIATELY.

Thank you.

NecroPhile

I meant a video with some gamedude employee(s).  That'd be funnier than another with a guy that likely doesn't care about games at all, let alone care about Turbobs.

hoobs88

Do they still put the GameDude Logo stickers on the game/case/manual that is impossible to remove?
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

NecroPhile

Is that a baker's dozen of Dungeon Master?

NecroPhile

Heh, that's crazy.  I wonder what the story is behind why they have so many.  I know it's an early game and thus produced in larger quantities and relatively common, but still....

roflmao

Dang! That's some awesome info. Cool pics, too.

ClodBusted

Null, you're great. Thanks for sharing your story and pics.

Sarumaru

I was there last Sunday and was happy that it was open after all these years, but sad at how crazy their prices are now so it was bittersweet.

esteban

Wait, gamedude is still in business?

I thought these were photos from a Blockbuster Video.

Hmmm...

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: esteban on 06/10/2017, 12:26 PMWait, gamedude is still in business?

I thought these were photos from a Blockbuster Video.

Hmmm...
there are blockbuster videos still in business too.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 06/13/2017, 03:19 PMhttp://www.businessinsider.com/blockbuster-still-exists-in-a-couple-of-places-2017-4
I just watched a video on TubeYou (in last two weeks) about a Blockbuster that was still operating in ALASKA (lack of broadband to stream video = viable rental video business).

:)

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: esteban on 06/13/2017, 04:22 PMI just watched a video on TubeYou (in last two weeks) about a Blockbuster that was still operating in ALASKA (lack of broadband to stream video = viable rental video business).

There's a chain called Family Video that seems to be surviving in part because they own their own physical lots of land, so no issues with leases, etc.
--DragonmasterDan

TelcoSurveyor

I'm in the U.K. for work and I drove past a what was once a blockbuster store. Still had the signs up on the outside of the building, but sadly it hadn't been open for quite some time. I was really hoping to rent some VHS tapes and return them without rewinding.
I'm the Wind, Baby!

esteban

Quote from: TelcoSurveyor on 06/13/2017, 07:08 PMI'm in the U.K. for work and I drove past a what was once a blockbuster store. Still had the signs up on the outside of the building, but sadly it hadn't been open for quite some time. I was really hoping to rent some VHS tapes and return them without rewinding.
Hell yes.

I just remembered that I own a few of those standalone "rewinders" to save wear-and-tear on VCR.

I packed them during a move and now, multiple moves later, I don't remember unpacking them.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: esteban on 06/13/2017, 09:11 PMHell yes.

I just remembered that I own a few of those standalone "rewinders" to save wear-and-tear on VCR.

I packed them during a move and now, multiple moves later, I don't remember unpacking them.
Those standalone rewinders could often ruin tapes since it didn't slow down the rewinding process towards the end of the tape.
--DragonmasterDan

Gypsy

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 06/13/2017, 05:52 PM
Quote from: esteban on 06/13/2017, 04:22 PMI just watched a video on TubeYou (in last two weeks) about a Blockbuster that was still operating in ALASKA (lack of broadband to stream video = viable rental video business).

There's a chain called Family Video that seems to be surviving in part because they own their own physical lots of land, so no issues with leases, etc.
Also the ones I've seen have a crappy pizza place inside too. Well the main one I pass by does, I think the one in a town I don't go to nearly as much has something else in the building too but I don't remember.

I never see many people there when I pass by, but yeah they seem to be making it.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Gypsy on 06/14/2017, 08:12 AMAlso the ones I've seen have a crappy pizza place inside too. Well the main one I pass by does, I think the one in a town I don't go to nearly as much has something else in the building too but I don't remember.

I never see many people there when I pass by, but yeah they seem to be making it.
I've seen subways attached to them as well, again since they own the lots it gives them more flexibility to do what they want with any extra space they have.
--DragonmasterDan

Gypsy

Yeah, I feel like that's a big part of how they stay in business. Because who the eff rents movies anymore.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Gypsy on 06/14/2017, 08:44 AMYeah, I feel like that's a big part of how they stay in business. Because who the eff rents movies anymore.
I'd like to say I do.
But I don't... with that said I have gone there and picked up previously rented blu-rays.
--DragonmasterDan

Gypsy

They used to clear out their games for cheap, but that doesn't seem to happen anymore at the locations near me. They seem to have some kind of system for pricing now and some games are as much as $40 (lol).

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Gypsy on 06/14/2017, 09:03 AMThey used to clear out their games for cheap, but that doesn't seem to happen anymore at the locations near me. They seem to have some kind of system for pricing now and some games are as much as $40 (lol).
Maybe 13-14 years ago, before it got reprinted I picked up a used Gitaroo Man there. At the time it was one of the more sought after PS2 games.
--DragonmasterDan

Gypsy

Yeah my best was getting Fire Emblem Path of Radiance many moons ago for $6. It got me hooked on FE like a crack addict. At the time I think it was only about a $30 game.

I had some other gets there as well but nothing comparable to PoR in terms of enjoyment and discovering something new.

And yeah, Gitaroo Man, Rez, a bunch of Atlus games etc... A lot of pricier PS2 games got reprints. I remember when Disgaea was fetching $100.  :shock:

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Gypsy on 06/14/2017, 09:35 AMYeah my best was getting Fire Emblem Path of Radiance many moons ago for $6. It got me hooked on FE like a crack addict. At the time I think it was only about a $30 game.

I had some other gets there as well but nothing comparable to PoR in terms of enjoyment and discovering something new.
It wasn't anything "new" to me in the sense that I had played a lot of grid style strategy RPGs before it. I also made the mistake of not leveling up Ike's sister so when you get to the battle before the end battle she got picked off pretty quick.
--DragonmasterDan

Gypsy

I had played some games in that style before, but at least for me, PoR was so much better than most of them.

esteban

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 06/14/2017, 07:07 AM
Quote from: esteban on 06/13/2017, 09:11 PMHell yes.

Those standalone rewinders could often ruin tapes since it didn't slow down the rewinding process towards the end of the tape.
I only used the reminders for rentals. Ha! What a dilemma for the Blockbusters.