OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cho_aniki and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

EmperorIng

I myself beat Legend of Hero Tonma after using waaay too many continues on the last two levels which I really was not familiar with. The cave level is no joke with constantly spawning enemies and bats that you can't jump on. The rock boss was a real pain for the longest time until I finally noticed the pattern and developed a strategy around it.

The final level is magnificent. Storming that castle with 1,000 endlessly spawning enemies gunning for your chubby little Tommy. Pure chaos. The final boss is memorizing-heavy but looks great.

The game is really quite good. It's one of those games I played for a while on emulator before saying "I ought to own this!" Even if others don't take that path, they should play the game nonetheless!

Quote from: Mathius on 04/04/2017, 12:54 AMThe Valis 1 remake plays slooooow but is still somehow more fun than Valis 2 IMO.
Having actual levels will do that for you! Yuko is slow in Valis 1 but I'll take that if it actually means having bosses that do more than move left and right while spinning!

Freeway2

Playing some Chase H.Q. and S.C.I. Taito goodness tonight.
"If I took this cigarette and put it out on you would you love me"

Serega81

Quote from: guest on 04/03/2017, 05:34 PM
Quote from: Serega81 on 03/27/2017, 10:45 PMJust beat Blood Gear
Is Blood Gear perfectly playable even if you don't know English? I've always wanted to try it out as a Wonder Boy fan

Recently, I've played some of my favorites, Bonk 2, Bomberman 93, and Tenchi Wo Kurau. I also managed to beat Atomic Robo Kid in one life!
Blood Gear is in Japanese, but this might help
- a complete video playthrough of blood gear

and a Japanese walkthrough of the game here http://mii5.at.webry.info/200805/article_22.html which you can translate via google translate to English or your language of choice.

If you enjoyed Wonder Boy and love mechs, I highly recommend Blood Gear, it's very reminiscent of Front Mission: Gun Hazard or Cybernator for the Super Nes/Super Famicom if you played those.

Also, since I recently beat it, and you get stuck, feel free to msg me for help.
If you don't like how things are, change it!  You're not a tree!!!!

esteban

Quote from: EmperorIng on 04/05/2017, 09:05 PMI myself beat Legend of Hero Tonma after using waaay too many continues on the last two levels which I really was not familiar with. The cave level is no joke with constantly spawning enemies and bats that you can't jump on. The rock boss was a real pain for the longest time until I finally noticed the pattern and developed a strategy around it.

The final level is magnificent. Storming that castle with 1,000 endlessly spawning enemies gunning for your chubby little Tommy. Pure chaos. The final boss is memorizing-heavy but looks great.

The game is really quite good. It's one of those games I played for a while on emulator before saying "I ought to own this!" Even if others don't take that path, they should play the game nonetheless!
It is a great game. I place it next to NES Karnov as "totally fun, solid" games that don't get nearly enough love.

I have argued, in the past, that both games produce a similar effect on me...I can't quite place it...but it is a good thing.

Now, I can't find my old posts, but I usually go on and on about how Karnov is the superior game (I love all the items and the thoughtful way you have to use them, which goes hand-in-hand with great level design and nice progression throughout game).

Tonma, in comparison, contains far less creativity, but is still a fun game, nonetheless.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NightWolve

Quote from: Mathius on 01/19/2017, 11:44 PMIt'd be cool if some of us could insert English voice acting into the PCE version of Popful Mail similar to what Nightwolve and co. did with Ys IV. And the other cool thing about this version is the cutscenes show different aspects and locations compared to the MD's.
Oh yeah, the means is there. I dunno how much is in ADPCM, but the Redbook tracks were already replaceable of course. I do agree with Victor Ireland though, we got the best version of the game with the Sega Falcom alliance on the Sega CD, so I can't see you ever pestering talents like elmer/Sam to consider a fan translation for it. Sorry my PCE turbro, but I really enjoyed beating Popful Mail years back with a Kega->Feka CD emulator. :P

Strider77

PC Denjin.....    slept on this for YEARS.

Some games after all the hype, once you get them, it's up in the air how you are gonna feel about them. I like shooters... alot. I've 1CCed Cave stuff, have a ton of shooter PCBs etc. So I was a bit suspicious of possible  "Team 'Engine" hype...      or most the hype generated from folks that casually play shooters.

Well the hype is real...   the game is cool AF. It's gloriously wacky with spastic visuals and colors. The pacing is great with no overly long drawn out parts or stages (granted the last one is long but it switches up so much presentation wise and with what's going on). It's a little beast of a Hucard...    the color is fantastic, so is the parallax with very catchy chip tunes.

It's not overly hard, but it's still challenging enough. Got to the last boss last night, last stage is the only real challenging part for me at this point. But it's very fun and still requires effort and some bosses will still sneak their licks in if I get lazy. It's fun enough that I feel the compulsion to try and kill everything and collect all the point icons....      the way it dishes out those extends helps motivate.

Expectations exceeded by alot. One of my favorite Hucards and shooters on the system.

WTF happened to the sequel on CD?

EmperorIng

I bet you different people worked on CD Denjin <(totally unsubstantiated thought)

I really love the colors and sprites on the first Denjin, even if I don't have the game myself.  :mrgreen:

I'm putting the occasional time into KiKi KaiKai and Mr. Heli, two far more "drab" looking games but fun (and frustrating) in their own ways.

KiKi KaiKai I come back to every now and then to see if I can get a little farther - usually, yes. This last time making it to the whip-wielding Buddhist priest. You have to be constantly managing threats from all directions, making this a very stressful game as it wears on. Boss fights especially so given the lack of room to maneuver, your large slowish sprite and enemy attacks.

It's a very tough nut to crack; I hope I can get to the end one of these days.

Mr. Heli remains frustrating. If there is a strategy for that fucking level 2 boss, aka "the giant sphere that kills you instantly thanks for playing", I'd like to see it. It's such a painfully lame boss and early wall to player progress.

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 04/19/2017, 05:29 PMPC Denjin.....    slept on this for YEARS.

Some games after all the hype, once you get them, it's up in the air how you are gonna feel about them. I like shooters... alot. I've 1CCed Cave stuff, have a ton of shooter PCBs etc. So I was a bit suspicious of possible  "Team 'Engine" hype...      or most the hype generated from folks that casually play shooters.

Well the hype is real...   the game is cool AF. It's gloriously wacky with spastic visuals and colors. The pacing is great with no overly long drawn out parts or stages (granted the last one is long but it switches up so much presentation wise and with what's going on). It's a little beast of a Hucard...    the color is fantastic, so is the parallax with very catchy chip tunes.

It's not overly hard, but it's still challenging enough. Got to the last boss last night, last stage is the only real challenging part for me at this point. But it's very fun and still requires effort and some bosses will still sneak their licks in if I get lazy. It's fun enough that I feel the compulsion to try and kill everything and collect all the point icons....      the way it dishes out those extends helps motivate.

Expectations exceeded by alot. One of my favorite Hucards and shooters on the system.

WTF happened to the sequel on CD?
Let's not forget them tunes too! Games like this and Dungeon Explorer fly in the face of those who call the Engine's soundchip "lacking". If you want to play a true spiritual successor to Air Zonk try Coryoon. Though I'd recommend playing it on an Everdrive to avoid it's unreasonable price tag. Plus unlike Super Air Zonk Coryoon has obviously been endowed with the continuation of the original Air Zonk's soundtrack.

PukeSter

Mr. Heli' level two boss is easy as long as you stick to the middle right Wall and middle ceiling

As he moves towards you, move above him to the middle of the ceiling, and when he re-centers go back down to the side wall

NecroPhile

Quote from: Mathius on 04/19/2017, 06:43 PMLet's not forget them tunes too! Games like this and Dungeon Explorer fly in the face of those who call the Engine's soundchip "lacking". If you want to play a true spiritual predecessor to Air Zonk try Coryoon. Though I'd recommend playing it on an Everdrive to avoid it's unreasonable price tag. Plus unlike Super Air Zonk Coryoon has obviously been endowed with the continuation of the original Air Zonk's soundtrack.
*fixed*
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 04/20/2017, 09:36 AM
Quote from: Mathius on 04/19/2017, 06:43 PMLet's not forget them tunes too! Games like this and Dungeon Explorer fly in the face of those who call the Engine's soundchip "lacking". If you want to play a true spiritual predecessor to Air Zonk try Coryoon. Though I'd recommend playing it on an Everdrive to avoid it's unreasonable price tag. Plus unlike Super Air Zonk Coryoon has obviously been endowed with the continuation of the original Air Zonk's soundtrack.
*fixed*
Did it really come out before Air Zonk? Well blow me down!

I'm fired

Gypsy

Coryoon is decent. I'd never recommend paying $300 or w/e the hell it goes for these days though.

roflmao

Coryoon was the first game I played when I got my GameOfYou Flash Card. The engine is so similar to Air Zonk, but man, I find it harder because of all the stuff on screen! What are you trying to grab and what are you trying to avoid? Who knows until you hit it. :D It's gorgeous and colorful and the soundtrack is awesome, but Air Zonk kicks it's ass imo.

waynedoodle

Played some Blazing Lazers tonight.  Great fun until you die and lose your power ups, then for me it's frustrating as hell.

Psycho Punch

Blazing Lasers suffers from the "don't lose the powerups" syndrome most shooters have, especially on the last level boss rush lol.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

esteban

QuoteBlazing Lasers suffers from the "don't lose the powerups" syndrome most shooters have, especially on the last level boss rush lol.
Many folks believe this, but I know, from experience, that you can have only a pea shooter and still beat last stage grabbing the handful of power ups that trickle your way.

SECRET: you might have boost your speed (max) and strategically take out certain  enemies that cause you trouble. Max speed lets you instantly swing back left/right as needed (pattern of enemy attacks).

crazydean

I have given up on Blazing Lazers. I get to the boss rush and that's the best I can do. So frustrating because it takes like 45 min to get there just to lose halfway through the final level.

NoSexGex

Quote from: waynedoodle on 04/23/2017, 09:52 PMGreat fun until you die and lose your power ups, then for me it's frustrating as hell.
Always been my thoughts about the game too
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

Mathius

BL was the first Turbo game I ever cleared.

GoldenWheels

Daisenpu Custom

Pretty cool, I like the power up idea where you bring up a squadron of fighters who add to your firepower but also can get picked off. Thank goodness it's friendly with the continues.

esteban

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 04/25/2017, 07:24 AMDaisenpu Custom

Pretty cool, I like the power up idea where you bring up a squadron of fighters who add to your firepower but also can get picked off. Thank goodness it's friendly with the continues.
A solid game. I love old-skool formula for shootemups.

:)

GoldenWheels

Quote from: esteban on 04/25/2017, 09:17 AM

Me too, if only because I don't need much to think about so far as power ups and fancy game mechanics etc. Just fly/shoot.

Reading pc engine software bible, I see the huey version is actually better than the CD version? Better graphics and more areas? WTH is that about!

esteban

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 04/25/2017, 09:26 AM

Me too, if only because I don't need much to think about so far as power ups and fancy game mechanics etc. Just fly/shoot.

Reading pc engine software bible, I see the huey version is actually better than the CD version? Better graphics and more areas? WTH is that about!
https://www.tg-16.com/screenshot_comparisons_shmups.htm#Daisenpuu_Custom

Sad, but true.

Both versions are solid and fun to play, but it does hurt my heart that CD isn't the "best" version...

:(

esteban

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 04/25/2017, 09:26 AM

https://www.tg-16.com/screenshot_comparisons_shmups.htm#Daisenpuu_Custom

Sad, but true.

Both versions are solid and fun to play, but it does hurt my heart that CD isn't the "best" version...

:(

GoldenWheels

Boy those changes make no sense to me. (cool site btw, the comparisons site)

BTW do you know how many levels does this game have? I hit level 5 on my first playthrough on Normal (using all my continues to do so). I almost feel like I may actually be able to beat it, a rare thing for me with shooters.

roflmao

Quote from: crazydean on 04/24/2017, 06:54 PMI have given up on Blazing Lazers. I get to the boss rush and that's the best I can do. So frustrating because it takes like 45 min to get there just to lose halfway through the final level.
Blazing Lazers is totally beatable. That last level is a pain in the ass, but if you've saved up enough flashing orbs and can grab a power up or two by using Esteban's aforementioned skills (it's not hard after some dedication), it can be done. I still can't beat it every time I sit down and play it, but I'm probably at about 50% now, which I never thought would be possible.

roflmao

Quote from: guest on 04/25/2017, 11:45 PMBlazing Lazers is totally beatable. That last level is a pain in the ass, but if you've saved up enough flashing orbs and can grab a power up or two by using Esteban's aforementioned skills (it's not hard after some dedication), it can be done. I still can't beat it every time I sit down and play it, but I'm probably at about 50% now, which I never thought would be possible.
Interestingly enough, yesterday I tried playing through Blazing Lazers and crashed and burned. However, today, I set up my computer to stream to Twitch and managed to play through the whole thing in s single credit! (The only way it can be finished, I'm pretty certain.)

http://www.twitch.tv/videos/138970713

The game doesn't actually start until about 12 minutes in. I was tinkering with settings before that.

Nectarsis and Sunteam Paul were gracious enough to pop by and provide a bit of running commentary. :)

esteban

Quote from: guest on 04/30/2017, 01:19 AM
Quote from: guest on 04/25/2017, 11:45 PMBlazing Lazers is totally beatable. That last level is a pain in the ass, but if you've saved up enough flashing orbs and can grab a power up or two by using Esteban's aforementioned skills (it's not hard after some dedication), it can be done. I still can't beat it every time I sit down and play it, but I'm probably at about 50% now, which I never thought would be possible.
Interestingly enough, yesterday I tried playing through Blazing Lazers and crashed and burned. However, today, I set up my computer to stream to Twitch and managed to play through the whole thing in s single credit! (The only way it can be finished, I'm pretty certain.)

http://www.twitch.tv/videos/138970713

The game doesn't actually start until about 12 minutes in. I was tinkering with settings before that.

Nectarsis and Sunteam Paul were gracious enough to pop by and provide a bit of running commentary. :)
Nah, you can beat Blazing Lazers starting with nothing but a pea-shooter in any given stage...at any point in the stage.

It just requires a different strategy than "destroy everything" which is possible when you are powered-up decently.

I started doing this with NES Gradius... and the "make it work, even with no speed or power ups" mantra has served me well on some games.

Blazing Lazers is much more forgiving than other games that kick my arse when I lose powerups (R-Type, Mr. Heli, Dragon Spirit, Raiden, etc.)

gheebee

Fired up the Duo for the first time in a while last night and beat Splatterhouse. I might have done this once as a kid but the last time I tried this I used up all my continues on level VI; this time I beat VI on the first try. After that I ran through New Adventure Island again and almost had a perfect game until I died on the second to last level and then 3 more times on the last level. :/

roflmao

Quote from: gheebee on 04/30/2017, 11:17 AMFired up the Duo for the first time in a while last night and beat Splatterhouse. I might have done this once as a kid but the last time I tried this I used up all my continues on level VI; this time I beat VI on the first try. After that I ran through New Adventure Island again and almost had a perfect game until I died on the second to last level and then 3 more times on the last level. :/
Awesome!

Mathius

I should play through 'ol Splatt again. That last level tune was awesome.

gheebee

Popped in Cyber Core the other day to try the arcade mode that I'd recently learned of here and have been thinking about it ever since. Had some time to play again today and managed to get to level 8 with no continues. Not bad considering I've played this many times since buying it as a kid and had never been past level 4 until today.

esteban

Quote from: Mathius on 04/30/2017, 08:17 PMI should play through 'ol Splatt again. That last level tune was awesome.
I love all the damn firelogs, melting flesh, and burning flesh.

Oh, and lots of hopping.

The hopping always puts me in the mood for Easter and Springtime.

Mathius

Quote from: esteban on 05/08/2017, 06:43 AM
Quote from: Mathius on 04/30/2017, 08:17 PMI should play through 'ol Splatt again. That last level tune was awesome.
I love all the damn firelogs, melting flesh, and burning flesh.

Oh, and lots of hopping.

The hopping always puts me in the mood for Easter and Springtime.
The TurboGrafx in general always makes me think of Spring.

esteban

Here are the games that are too difficult for my 5.5 year old twins:

Burning Angels (this is a tough game...lots of precise dodging)

Battle Lode Runner (they just don't have any strategies yet)

Operation Wolf (even though I told them that I loved playing this game when I was a kid, they had ZERO interest in it)

Here are the games that they friggin' love:

Ninja Warriors (Holy crap they have fun with this game, even though it has some tricky enemies/bosses at points...)

Bomberman '93 (5 match battle mode, 2-3 players)

R-Type I & II (especially my daughter...she really wants to do well in this game, even though it frustrates the hell out of her...)

Mr. Heli (they are better than I am...)

Veigues (I told my daughter it's like "Power Rangers")

Dragon Egg (the platforming gets tough, though, with the lava)

Blue Blink (the novelty of playing as a CRÃœE intrigued them)

NOTE: Of course I was playing all of these damn games. I played the Agedema (sp?) platformer and Vigilante, too...

LostFlunky

Quote from: esteban on 05/08/2017, 09:04 PMBomberman '93 (5 match battle mode, 2-3 players)
When you are playing Bomberman '93 with your kids, pause it at random times and say "ooh she's pretty!"  My nephews used to love that.. They are about 10 years older than my kids, so now when they play with my kids they do the same thing...

gheebee

After 20+ years of owning the game I finally beat Cyber-core, 1cc too. Didn't do it in the regular mode though, I like the arcade mode better.

Gypsy

I went through PC Denjin and PC Genjin 3 again recently. Denjin is a hoot, just a very enjoyable game.

cccmar

Quote from: esteban on 05/08/2017, 09:04 PMDragon Egg (the platforming gets tough, though, with the lava)
Cool game, but it's actually really short if you know what you're doing!

I'm playing Toshi Tenso Keikaku Eternal City right now. It is a Japanese exclusive, mecha metroidvania game, if you can call it that way. Quite a decent platformer, although it does get a bit too maze-like and monotonous later on. Still, not the worst game ever IMHO.

esteban

Quote from: cccmar on 05/11/2017, 12:50 PM
Quote from: esteban on 05/08/2017, 09:04 PMDragon Egg (the platforming gets tough, though, with the lava)
Cool game, but it's actually really short if you know what you're doing!

I'm playing Toshi Tenso Keikaku Eternal City right now. It is a Japanese exclusive, mecha metroidvania game, if you can call it that way. Quite a decent platformer, although it does get a bit too maze-like and monotonous later on. Still, not the worst game ever IMHO.
Yeah, Dragon Egg is easy. For me.

But my five year old twins? They are not so good dealing with those fire-arrow shooting enemies in the lava stage.

gheebee

My few Cybercore clears got me to dust off Raiden and that quickly brought be back to reality. Surprisingly I did get further than ever though, finally beat the level two boss and made it to the level three boss. lol

jtucci31

Fired up my Duo for the first time in awhile. I've missed my time with the beloved Turbo. And I still fucking love Gate of Thunder.

Freeway2

Well I finally beat Air Zonk after making it to the last part where you fight the robot dinasour and hitting a wall for the 100th time it felt like.  I let the end credit music sit there and loop for a while and took it all in  :)    Then I thought about beating the Japanese version of Super Air Zonk and felt a little melancholy   :P

esteban

Quote from: guest on 05/17/2017, 08:46 PMFired up my Duo for the first time in awhile. I've missed my time with the beloved Turbo. And I still fucking love Gate of Thunder.
You are recharging your TurboSoul.

Godspeed, comrade.

Quote from: Freeway2 on 05/18/2017, 04:39 AMWell I finally beat Air Zonk after making it to the last part where you fight the robot dinasour and hitting a wall for the 100th time it felt like.  I let the end credit music sit there and loop for a while and took it all in  :)    Then I thought about beating the Japanese version of Super Air Zonk and felt a little melancholy   :P
I don't think I have played Super Air Zonk JP (I don't have US) in a LOOOONG time!   Like..:.years?

I need to play it without prejudice.

I've always played it as the "lesser" game...but what if I approach it as it's own unique game, independent of the beloved Huey?

PROBLEM: The music in SAZ really irritates me.

Quote from: gheebee on 05/11/2017, 11:25 PMMy few Cybercore clears got me to dust off Raiden and that quickly brought be back to reality. Surprisingly I did get further than ever though, finally beat the level two boss and made it to the level three boss. lol
Cybercore.
Or
CyberCore?
Or
Cyber Core?

Fun game, but I want to know what folks think the koolest branding would be.

And what is the *intended* and "official" way to refer to it?

Quick!

gheebee

The place where I have my Duo set up is pretty much the only place I have room for a CRT stand but, unfortunately, the room is not air conditioned and doesn't have any outlet by a window for a window unit, so for the past 2 weeks I've been trying to get in as much gaming as possible while I still can. Last night was the first time this year that it was too hot to play and I wasn't able to resume my game of Rainbow Islands. Gave this one a break a while ago because I tried and tried but couldn't beat the level 5 boss but now I'm on level 8 or 9! Hopefully it cools down for a bit soon or I am able to figure something else out for my setup... :/

Quote from: esteban on 05/18/2017, 06:41 AMCybercore.
Or
CyberCore?
Or
Cyber Core?

Fun game, but I want to know what folks think the koolest branding would be.

And what is the *intended* and "official" way to refer to it?

Quick!
heh, I wondered about that the last few times I posted about the game and think I used something different in each post.

IMGIMG

Just had a look at the cover art and it looks like it's slightly different for TG16 vs PCE as the TG16 release is "Cyber-Core" and the PCE release is "Cyber Core" or "Cyber core". I think I prefer "Cyber-Core".

Freeway2

I fired up super air zonk and got distracted doing something else and the same annoying song just kept looping over and over.  I tried going into it with a open mind but it really pisses me off lol.  Im glad im not trying to collect/obtain all of the US cd's as that would be one messed up purchase with the prices it commands.  Paying close to a hundred bucks was bad enough.   :twisted:

Gypsy

I cleared PC Genjin 3 and PC Denjin again over the last week for funsies. Working on Download currently. Played some again early this AM, FAILURE.

Gypsy

Cleared Download tonight. Last stage was rough for me lol.

crazydean

Glad to see there are people who don't care for Super Air Zonk. I've tried this game a few times and find the graphics too distracting. The upgrade system feels all over the place too.

NoSexGex

Quote from: esteban on 05/18/2017, 06:41 AMCybercore.
Or
CyberCore?
Or
Cyber Core?
My friends and I call it that bug shooter
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!