OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmperorIng

Parasol Stars. A great game. I still don't know how the secrets and miracles work, and whether or not I need to get certain types of things to invariably unlock the last real world. For the moment I'll just enjoy being in the space of the game itself and breathing it all in.

Quote from: guest on 11/14/2017, 05:30 PM
Quote from: Goemon on 11/14/2017, 01:43 PMJust started Heavy Unit.
Its like the hardest opening to a game ever!
Took multiple attempts just to figure out part 1-1! The game even felt sorry for me at one point and moved me to 1-2 ><
that game sucks lol you can just stop playing it and move-on with your life.
Nah lol, the game is pretty neat. After the opening the game is more or less totally manageable, and the second loop offers a neat challenge with the number of bullets it puts onscreen. Definitely not the best shooter but a solid challenge and a million times better than its Genesis counterpart.

Still miffed that esteban fabricated a fake cheat code to get to higher loops and passed it off to me as fact. The game in fact ends at loop 2, "THE END."

turboswimbz

Quote from: EmperorIng on 11/14/2017, 07:57 PMParasol Stars. A great game. I still don't know how the secrets and miracles work, and whether or not I need to get certain types of things to invariably unlock the last real world. For the moment I'll just enjoy being in the space of the game itself and breathing it all in.
collect 3 of the same Icons for:

Fire Miracle will cause all defeated foes on the next planet to become
     Items worth 10000 points upon their defeat.

Lightning Miracle will increase the liklihood of rare Items appearing.

Water Miracle will cause all level on the next planet to reveal their
     Miracle Icons immediately.

Star Miracle will make a giant Gold Coin appear after the world's boss
     is defeated. This is a rather late game prize to get as Star Miracles appear from the Flight
     Planet onwards. If you get the Star Miracle, you can get a key which will let you into world 9. and thus begin the real final push to defeat evil!

Collect any 3 combinations of Miracle Icons (matching or not) will knock all
     foes on screen unconscious, making them easy to defeat

PRO Tip: When you create a large drop twice in the same round, the same kind of crest will appear on the next round!
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

ginoscope

I been playing Rayxanber II for the first time and man this game is pretty cheap.  I can't stop playing it though and got halfway through stage 2.  The power ups are pretty weak and man the enemies love to run into you.  It does have unlimited continues so just need to practice more.

EmperorIng

The upside to all of that is

1) no real power-ups means that every death doesn't really set you back - you're always more or less at "full" power!

2) once you memorize the spawns, chunks of the game can be quite doable - stage 4 is the real killer, because a lot of the behavior is random and not as tightly-choreographed as the previous stages.

Goemon

Heavy Unit fell pretty swiftly, after the initial sticking point.
I never bothered with the 2nd loop though.

I've now moved on to Hana Taaka Daka, which is great!

Caught myself out initially by having auto fire on. I was like "man, why do these enemies take so long to friggin die!?" Felt rather silly after paying attention to the UI and seeing the power indicator at the top

><

I'm cooking now, got on to Stage 4 all tanuki's found.

Love the music, especially the first level!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: EmperorIng on 11/14/2017, 07:57 PMNah lol, the game is pretty neat. After the opening the game is more or less totally manageable, and the second loop offers a neat challenge with the number of bullets it puts onscreen. Definitely not the best shooter but a solid challenge and a million times better than its Genesis counterpart.
It's neat, kind of.

But visually/aurally, it's pretty pisspoor, and for a horizontal shooter, it's pretty lacking.

I sold it at a convention for 10$.   The hotdogs, fries, and coke I bought with the money was more enjoyable than that game ever was. 
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Gypsy

GoldenWheels

Beat Twin Bee last night. Used all my continues (5, ahem) to do so but it's a fun, if kinda slow,  game.

The bells kind of drive me crazy as a power ups/point system. Some games I just can't catch ANYTHING or time my shots right to get them to the right colors, last night I did ok.

esteban

Of course, still playing Bomberman 93 & 94 with my kids (they love Bomberman).

ALSO:
Victory Run (US)
Legendary Axe (US JP)
JJ & Jeff (US JP)
MotoRoader (US JP)
RType (JP)

I have been playing all the early PCE releases because, you know, the 30 year anniversary. Lots of fun. I've also been alternating between playing the US and JP versions to compare similarities/differences. Sadly, I must have lost a lot of HuCARDs because I can't find a bunch I know I used to own. It's possible I gave em away, thinking they were dupes.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

nopepper

Quote from: esteban on 12/07/2017, 04:19 PMOf course, still playing Bomberman 93 & 94 with my kids (they love Bomberman).
Your kids are going to do great things in the world.

My wife is leaving for the weekend, so I'll have a turbo party all by myself and after watching classic game room's review of Bloody Wolf last night, I think I will give that one a serious try. I'm ashamed that I have never actually sat down to try to beat that game, and I've owned it for about 20 years now!

esteban

Quote from: nopepper on 12/08/2017, 12:02 PM
Quote from: esteban on 12/07/2017, 04:19 PMOf course, still playing Bomberman 93 & 94 with my kids (they love Bomberman).
Your kids are going to do great things in the world.

My wife is leaving for the weekend, so I'll have a turbo party all by myself and after watching classic game room's review of Bloody Wolf last night, I think I will give that one a serious try. I'm ashamed that I have never actually sat down to try to beat that game, and I've owned it for about 20 years now!
:)

I love Bloody Wolf, slowdown and all. Tap sparingly on the RUN button and flamethrower lasts FOREVER, that's how my brothers would play. Personally, I love being wasteful and holding down the button even when FLAMES are unnecessary.

Anyway, great tunes in Bloody Damn Wolf.

EmperorIng

The turbo Bloody Wolf was my Christmas Present from my older brother last year - English just so we could enjoy those great lines from KNIFE-KILLER or Snake/Eagle. I've been contemplating a quick re-run through it in honor of the anniversary.

I think it's a better game than Last Alert (which is fun too!), with better bosses and stage design. DECO's bizarre, semi-kusoge style always wins (see: Two Crude Dudes).

esteban

Quote from: EmperorIng on 12/08/2017, 06:14 PMThe turbo Bloody Wolf was my Christmas Present from my older brother last year - English just so we could enjoy those great lines from KNIFE-KILLER or Snake/Eagle. I've been contemplating a quick re-run through it in honor of the anniversary.

I think it's a better game than Last Alert (which is fun too!), with better bosses and stage design. DECO's bizarre, semi-kusoge style always wins (see: Two Crude Dudes).
Oh, definitely, Blüd Wulf is better than Last Alert. Last Alert is too easy... but LA has lots of *little* nice things going for it (different mission objectives, for example...and fun transitions between stages).

But Bloody Wolf is so much more satisfying (as a proper game) to make progress in and  eventually beat.

The Generalissimo and his lazer boomerangs.

'Nuff said

esteban

Quote from: EmperorIng on 12/08/2017, 06:14 PMThe turbo Bloody Wolf was my Christmas Present from my older brother last year - English just so we could enjoy those great lines from KNIFE-KILLER or Snake/Eagle. I've been contemplating a quick re-run through it in honor of the anniversary.

Oh, definitely, Blüd Wulf is better than Last Alert. Last Alert is too easy... but LA has lots of *little* nice things going for it (different mission objectives, for example...and fun transitions between stages).

But Bloody Wolf is so much more satisfying (as a proper game) to make progress in and  eventually beat.

The Generalissimo and his lazer boomerangs.

'Nuff said

nopepper

Quote from: esteban on 12/08/2017, 04:53 PMI love Bloody Wolf, slowdown and all. Tap sparingly on the RUN button and flamethrower lasts FOREVER, that's how my brothers would play. Personally, I love being wasteful and holding down the button even when FLAMES are unnecessary.

So I was only able to spend about an hour playing and only got a bit past the character changing scene (just after rescuing the president). Sadly had to live real life and cut the gaming session short.

My takeaways so far is that the game would be a lot better if it didn't have unlimited continues, as I was able to spam it to get to that point (prob 4-5). Seems like a decent game, but probably need to play it more and limit the continues in order to better appreciate the level design.  I found the controls sorely missing a lock on feature (Shock Troopers has spoiled me for life).

I would say the standout feature is the music, which had that great PCE scratchy ring I love so much, but did not seem to be as good as Dragon Spirit, RType and Dungeon Explorer. Again, maybe spending more time trying to perfect the game will make me appreciate it more.

esteban

Quote from: nopepper on 12/12/2017, 08:20 PM...

I would say the standout feature is the music, which had that great PCE scratchy ring I love so much, but did not seem to be as good as Dragon Spirit, RType and Dungeon Explorer. Again, maybe spending more time trying to perfect the game will make me appreciate it more.
Oh, I agree that Dragon Spirit, R-Type and Dungeon Explorer have splendid soundtracks.

What makes Bloody Wolf interesting, to me, is that it has a sound engine that is rather unique for the PCE (I don't know if any other PCE game really shares the same samples/sounds/"instruments"...plus the songs are fun, even the "goofy" ones—the raft!—are fun and fit the stages quite well).

esteban

Quote from: nopepper on 12/12/2017, 08:20 PM...

Oh, I agree that Dragon Spirit, R-Type and Dungeon Explorer have splendid soundtracks.

What makes Bloody Wolf interesting, to me, is that it has a sound engine that is rather unique for the PCE (I don't know if any other PCE game really shares the same samples/sounds/"instruments"...plus the songs are fun, even the "goofy" ones—the raft!—are fun and fit the stages quite well).

PukeSter

Quote from: nopepper on 12/12/2017, 08:20 PM
Quote from: esteban on 12/08/2017, 04:53 PMI love Bloody Wolf, slowdown and all. Tap sparingly on the RUN button and flamethrower lasts FOREVER, that's how my brothers would play. Personally, I love being wasteful and holding down the button even when FLAMES are unnecessary.

So I was only able to spend about an hour playing and only got a bit past the character changing scene (just after rescuing the president). Sadly had to live real life and cut the gaming session short.

My takeaways so far is that the game would be a lot better if it didn't have unlimited continues, as I was able to spam it to get to that point (prob 4-5). Seems like a decent game, but probably need to play it more and limit the continues in order to better appreciate the level design.
Esty the Japanese version limits continues to 5. Seems a bit low honestly considering the game is close to an hour long and how cheap the final boss is

But a lot of pce games in general lean to the easy side, at least in comparison to the genesis. With exceptions...Monster Lair and R-Type make me shudder

esteban

Quote from: guest on 12/12/2017, 09:50 PMEsty the Japanese version limits continues to 5. Seems a bit low honestly considering the game is close to an hour long and how cheap the final boss is

But a lot of pce games in general lean to the easy side, at least in comparison to the genesis. With exceptions...Monster Lair and R-Type make me shudder
Ha! I didn't know the Japanese version limited it to five continues (I don't have the PCE HuCARD).

However, I wonder if Bloody Wolf 2 and Bloody Wolf 3 (the bonus modes) were changed at all (JP vs. NA)...

I think both battles with the "Generalissimo" are pretty darn tricky until you figure out a strategy...but for a long time I couldn't even figure out a strategy and just died pathetically.

Monster Lair = motherfucking challenging (unless you cheat with continues). But it's one of my favorite games of all time. So goddamn sweet. :)

R-Type = the JP HuCARDs kick my ass...but the CD R-Type Complete CD allows **unlimited continues** (a great way to practice!)

crazydean

Quote from: esteban on 12/12/2017, 10:06 PMR-Type = the JP HuCARDs kick my ass...but the CD R-Type Complete CD allows **unlimited continues** (a great way to practice!)
There's also an "easy" mode!

nopepper

Spent more time last night with Bloody Wolf and was able to make it to the knife fight without dying, had 5 health bars and the shithead proceeded to hand me my ass. I was able to beat him after a couple of continues figuring out his pattern, so will probably try again this weekend.

Definitely growing to appreciate the game more. The music is a real earworm.

Gypsy

I played some Sapphire last night. It's technically very impressive to me but I wouldn't put it in my top ten PCE shootuns.

EmperorIng

I'm curious what you would consider the top 10. I haven't played Sapphire yet (had the chance to buy a cheap repro but lol! at that), but for me the best shooters would probably be Gradius II, Dragon Saber, Cotton, and Galaga '88. For the most part Konami and Namco made the best games or arcade ports on the system, in my opinion.

Gypsy

I'm a bit more into Compile. Galaga 88 is real nice though.

Soldier Blade, Final Soldier, Super Star Soldier, Spriggan, Lords of Thunder, Gate of Thunder, Nexzr, Gunhed/BL, PC Denjin. The 10th slot is hard, maybe Ai Cho Aniki.

PukeSter

Got home from college, did some run throughs of altered beast, pac land and hany on the road

PAC-land is simple but fun. I got to stage 19 on one credit. The last few levels are nuts

Hany in the road is a ton of fun, has a cool concept and it looks fantastic

I love altered beast but the hucard has no Invincibility frames! I do like having longer levels though, let's me test out my beast powers on all the enemies instead of jumping straight to the boss in the genny port. Pce Cd and genny or bust

esteban

Quote from: guest on 12/17/2017, 02:21 AMGot home from college, did some run throughs of altered beast, pac land and hany on the road

PAC-land is simple but fun. I got to stage 19 on one credit. The last few levels are nuts

Hany in the road is a ton of fun, has a cool concept and it looks fantastic

I love altered beast but the hucard has no Invincibility frames! I do like having longer levels though, let's me test out my beast powers on all the enemies instead of jumping straight to the boss in the genny port. Pce Cd and genny or bust
Damn!

I can't beat Hany on the Road (granted, I'm playing with 6 year olds, but when I try to show them how far I can get, BLAM! The game puts me in my place—last place.)

My big question for you: I like concept of the "PENALTY LOWER LAVA LEVEL" ...but is there a trick to running on all the tiny little platforms (for example, in Valis III you could power slide across pillars, ha!)

Obviously, I know I can't powerslide :)

I just jump like a fool, hopping like crazy, and start wondering if there is an easier pattern (like a few long jumps), because that penalty lava stage makes me cry.

Also, what the fuck do the blue bottles do? I habitually collect them...

So...am I ignorant of any "dashing" or "power jump" techniques?

I know you can "jump backwards" (that move is fun).

Thank you!

PukeSter

Hi esty

Honestly I usually just skip the penalty stages, they are rarely worth it

How far do you get? Some routes are easier than others

If you collect 25 blue bottles you get an extra life. When you die the number you have doesn't reset

EmperorIng

I picked up a cheap Japanese copy of Wanderers from Ys/Ys III. The game is perfectly fine in Japanese outside of some initial fumbling with shop menus. It still has the same annoying tendency as Ys I/II that you cannot skip cutscenes, so those bits where digitized voices play out are ones you have to sit through. I've only faced 2 or 3 bosses so far, and they haven't particularly wowed me - mostly because by equipping the power run and holding attack you destroy them so quickly. Feels almost like you're cheating!

I am glad I didn't spend a lot of money on the game. Not that it's bad, as it is still fun. The simplified combat isn't quite as satisfying as bump combat, and requires a bit less precision or thoughtfulness since you can just stand still and watch the enemy enter into your meat-grinder range. Despite that I feel like I am getting my money's worth.  :P

Quote from: Gypsy on 12/15/2017, 03:14 PMI'm a bit more into Compile. Galaga 88 is real nice though.

Soldier Blade, Final Soldier, Super Star Soldier, Spriggan, Lords of Thunder, Gate of Thunder, Nexzr, Gunhed/BL, PC Denjin. The 10th slot is hard, maybe Ai Cho Aniki.
That's uh, an interesting 10th choice. Maybe style over substance, eh!

Psycho Punch

I'm playing Shadow of the Beast, it's the most dumb, poorly designed europlatformer ever but I still keep coming back for it for some reason.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

nopepper

Quote from: EmperorIng on 12/18/2017, 11:05 AMI picked up a cheap Japanese copy of Wanderers from Ys/Ys III. The game is perfectly fine in Japanese outside of some initial fumbling with shop menus. It still has the same annoying tendency as Ys I/II that you cannot skip cutscenes, so those bits where digitized voices play out are ones you have to sit through. I've only faced 2 or 3 bosses so far, and they haven't particularly wowed me - mostly because by equipping the power run and holding attack you destroy them so quickly. Feels almost like you're cheating!

I am glad I didn't spend a lot of money on the game. Not that it's bad, as it is still fun. The simplified combat isn't quite as satisfying as bump combat, and requires a bit less precision or thoughtfulness since you can just stand still and watch the enemy enter into your meat-grinder range. Despite that I feel like I am getting my money's worth.  :P

Quote from: Gypsy on 12/15/2017, 03:14 PMI'm a bit more into Compile. Galaga 88 is real nice though.

That's uh, an interesting 10th choice. Maybe style over substance, eh!
Ys III has always felt like a guilty pleasure for me. Even with all its flaws, it is always satisfying to have a playthrough every couple of years, and when I don't, I seem to long for it. I reckon the music has a lot to do with it, and the fact that it is so short helps in its pick up and play-ness.

Two other games that I feel are similar in that regard are Cadash (Turbo/PCE version) and Arcus Odyssey on the Genesis. I have actually played and beaten these 3 more than any Zelda game...

JoshTurboTrollX

I was playing some sweet ass remasterings of Lords and Gate over the weekend.

video evidence:
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Gypsy

esteban

Gypsy

Went through Star Parodier. Really quite easy.

PukeSter

Quote from: Gypsy on 12/18/2017, 11:11 PMWent through Star Parodier. Really quite easy.
Your post got me to finally play through the game.

Damn it is really easy, but the graphics are out of this world! Thankfully there's a hard mode for the future...

esteban

Quote from: guest on 12/19/2017, 02:07 AM
Quote from: Gypsy on 12/18/2017, 11:11 PMWent through Star Parodier. Really quite easy.

Damn it is really easy, but the graphics are out of this world! Thankfully there's a hard mode for the future...
It's so nicely executed, it is a gem.

:)

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 12/19/2017, 02:07 AM

Yeah at one point I had 20 some lives.  :lol:

I've been gunning for more clears lately. Just pulled Vigilante and Nexzr out to play.

GoldenWheels

None. System is out for repair.

Sometimes I look over my games and rub the spines labels longingly tho.

Gypsy

Get better soon GoldenWheel's Turbob!

*sends get well card and gift basket*

NecroPhile

Quote from: Gypsy on 12/18/2017, 04:48 PMI cleared Sapphire last night.
I've been trying to 1CC it lately but keep failing.  I think most of the people that bitch about it being super easy are cranking up the continues and bomb spamming their way to the end..... or maybe I just suck.  :mrgreen:

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 12/19/2017, 08:18 AMNone. System is out for repair.

Sometimes I look over my games and rub the spines labels longingly tho.
Aww, that stinks.  Get well soon, lil Turbob!
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 12/19/2017, 09:20 AM
Quote from: Gypsy on 12/18/2017, 04:48 PMI cleared Sapphire last night.
I've been trying to 1CC it lately but keep failing.  I think most of the people that bitch about it being super easy are cranking up the continues and bomb spamming their way to the end..... or maybe I just suck.  :mrgreen:
I suck at shooters too so I couldn't really tell ya. It's certainly more difficult than Star Parodier!

I enjoyed both.

Gypsy

Vigilante.

Edit: This was another clear. Extremely short game. Had to be a tough pill to swallow back in the day if you paid full price.

crazydean

Finally beat Legend of Hero Tonma. I must have died 100 times on stage 4. I was able to find a "trick" to easily beat every boss except the two guys who throw boulders, which is why it took me so long. Otherwise, the game isn't very hard, just a lot of trial and error.

I think next will be Exile or Legendary Axe.

PukeSter

Quote from: Gypsy on 12/19/2017, 08:20 PMVigilante.

Edit: This was another clear. Extremely short game. Had to be a tough pill to swallow back in the day if you paid full price.
It's a short but fun one. Tough to 1CC cuz of the final boss, I think i've only done it once.

I pity whoever bought the master system port! Dear lord is it choppy and there's no jump kick!

Today I replayed some more dungeon explorer (with the knome...got 3 dungeons left?) and altered beast on huey.

Gypsy

Yeah the final boss is a beyotch, had to credit feed him a bit.

esteban

Quote from: Gypsy on 12/21/2017, 11:29 PMYeah the final boss is a beyotch, had to credit feed him a bit.
He tosses you off the girder without hesitating or strangles 80% of your life...I never figured out if there is a way to consistently avoid him...I just rely on getting lucky.

Gypsy

seieienbu

I'm playing Deep Blue.  Lord have mercy on my soul.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

NoSexGex

Quote from: crazydean on 12/21/2017, 10:33 PMFinally beat Legend of Hero Tonma. I must have died 100 times on stage 4. I was able to find a "trick" to easily beat every boss except the two guys who throw boulders, which is why it took me so long. Otherwise, the game isn't very hard, just a lot of trial and error.

I think next will be Exile or Legendary Axe.
Good pick! Recently beat it myself too. Quite enjoyed it, reminded me of Ninja Spirit the whole time. Not as good, but still really enjoyable.

That's the second last boss I believe right? I had an awful time with him too. Watched a play through on Youtube and learnt there's a good trick if you're standing right in front of him. But you have to be fully powered up for it to work I think, as it stopped working before I ever got in enough damage. Had to partially glitch my character in-between screen transitions to get in a few free hits.

But yeah, fuck him. I feel your pain. And after, the final boss is a pushover in comparison.
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

GoldenWheels

My Duo came back and Keith got the CD drive working and quiet as a mouse. It's back to peak sexy and I even got some new games from him in the deal. Played some Valis 2 in last night, pretty fun, if pretty easy (from what I played). Hope to play Splash Lake tonight.

I think my NES is jealous. It knows the king has returned.  Bow to the king, bitch.