RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Pc-Engine DUO - White Screen - No sound, No Boot, No Bios loaded

Started by Lunacy, 04/26/2024, 07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunacy

Hi people,

First i would like to say that this forum is a real informations treasure !
Thanks a lot to people who help other people to find solution about PC engine Console.  =D>

Today i have a problem with a Junk Pc Engine DUO i bought.

When i power on it, there is nothing on the TV, only white screen.
Always white screen, with Hucard, Without Hucard. No sound, no CD-rom BIOS..

I checked continuiting points from IC513/IC513 and IC515 with multimeter > Its OK

I replaced some Caps but always same problem. I check Hucard ports and cleaned it with Propylic alcool then looks good... It's seems no burned points on mainboard or under the HuCard port, i checked it.

My questions are :

> What are the first video capacitors to be changed ? Do I have to change them all ?

> What are the first tests I need to do for check that the Video/GPU or Sram or CPU chipsets are OK?

> I read that the chip C6270 can be dead. How i can check it and confirm ?

I'll take any advice about White Screen problem, I really want to find a solution :) 

Thanks to all

NightWolve

Ah, definitely you should've changed all/100% capacitors when you started changing any - they are ALL leaking/failed/out-of-spec by now! You always want 100% new capacitors for NEC hardware to rule out any other problems! Before you continue, finish that job first.

Lunacy

Thanks !
  :wink: Ok I will change all Caps first and i will make feed back.

Lunacy

Hi :)

Full recap was done. Always white screen  :-k

I dont know what i can check now.
No burning points on the mainboard.

What could I consider to be the cause of the problem? It is Hucard port issue or Gpu/cpu issue ?

It seems that the white screen can come from many sources.... i dont know where to start  :undecided:

If people have some tips ! thanks to share it

have a nice day

NightWolve

Ah, too bad!

My advice:
1) Ask/PM @Keith Courage while he's around. He was just here by request.
2) Use the forum Search function for "white screen" - I'm sure I've seen old posts/threads about this problem in my years viewing this forum. There may be some lost clues somewhere in old posts.

Example: Here's a case that @thesteve (a pro EE & Turbo Expert) fixed with explanations of what was investigated/probed/etc. (he's retired though, you can't hire him).

EDIT: 3) To help out somewhat further, I reached thesteve on Facebook and asked for general advice on no boot/white screen states, he said to check the reset pin and address lines!

Best of luck.