OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

How much would YOU Pay?

Started by OldRover, 12/21/2005, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldRover

This is mostly a rhetorical question but since I get asked a lot, I figured I'd set up a post about it to get some feedback from the PCE community.

How much would you be willing to pay for a new PCE game? And I don't mean a game that's new in the box but has been out for 10 years, I mean a completely new game, written today.

Post your thoughts. :)
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

GUTS

$30-40 max if it was professionally done and comparable to what was released back in the day (and an RPG or action/RPG).  $20 max for a port of something, and a big fat 0 for some shitty knock off of some basic puzzle game or old ass game like asteroids.

PCEngineHell

For that matter the game needs to be pressed on areal disc,of quality labeling. Nothing that looks like Jag Cd for that matter. I take it since your asking you guys finally finished something are are ready to press it?

Keranu

Nothing is finished yet, but we have a couple of projects that are getting close to finished. We had a thread about this in the private members only part of our forums and we need more feedback on the subject. We have lots of quality titles being made or ready to be made, not simple projects like what MindRec has released so far (no offense to MindRec of course, especially since these days they are working on much bigger projects that I can't wait to play). I'd say our work looks pretty damn good, the secret game we have been working on has tons of colors, plenty of frames of animation, rotation effects, huge bosses, voice and other sound effect sampling using ADPCM (like when the character gets hit, it will scream), multiple unique abilities, and an awesome creative soundtrack. I'm really impressed with our work and how excellent our stuff works together :D .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

OldRover

Quote from: "Keranu"We have lots of quality titles being made or ready to be made, not simple projects like what MindRec has released so far (no offense to MindRec of course, especially since these days they are working on much bigger projects that I can't wait to play).
bt's just really busy, that's why they haven't been able to take on anything ambitious until recently. PC-Gunjin is definately gonna kick some tail though, I'll be sure to buy a copy when it comes out.

Anyways, another rhetorical question...how about a PCE game that spans 2 discs? How much would that run ya? And I ain't talking about a one-disc game with a "bonus disc" either...I'm talking a game that is literally so large it requires 2 or more discs...afaik, this has never been done on the PCE but rest assured...it will be. :D
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Keranu

As you have said, Neutopia III should be a HUGE game, 10x larger or so than the first two. Do you think our Neutopia III project will pass over one disc? I guess it depends on how many different CD tracks we have.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

OldRover

Nah, N3 will be one disc. It may be a large game but not so large that it would have to span 2 discs.

Keranu

There are some projects where I would like to use pre-rendered sprites with, maybe that project will take up lots of space.

By the way, I forgot to leave out another thing about our secret project: it should have beautiful parallax scrolling! From what I know, it should make Sega fans drop their jaws seeing such parallax done on the Turbo :D .
IMG

TR0N

$30.00-40.00 for a brand new game any ways.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

TurboHuC6280

It depends upon the game.  No offense to some of the other guys out there who have made "new" PCE games;  they've been noble efforts, but haven't been all that interesting.

Now, for a quality RPG?  Probably as much as $50, but it depends upon how good the game is (among things like packaging).  If you want to charge professional game prices, you need to have a professional-grade game.

CrackTiger

If its as good as a good(not the best) commercial game from back in the day and has at least adequate packaging, -$100.

If its anywhere near what Keranu was talking about and is an actual playable and fun game, not just a tech demo, then $250 the same month it comes out.

I'm not rich or well off or anything either.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

OldRover

At least SOTB-style parallax, which was very nice IMO. Anyways...I don't think we'd ever sell a game for $250, even if it were a double-disc game.

CrackTiger

Quote from: OldRoverAt least SOTB-style parallax, which was very nice IMO. Anyways...I don't think we'd ever sell a game for $250, even if it were a double-disc game.

Well then I can buy at least one copy to play and admire and one to collect dust on the shelf.

Sounds like the parallax in that tech demo(Bonk walking). Were you or one of your team members invloved in that? Cuz that was very cool.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Keranu

Don't recall that tech demo.
IMG

jlued686

I would pay up to $50-60.  Simpler games like Implode, etc., I would expect to pay $20 for.  But for a game like Mysterious Song or N3, I would happily pay $50 for, simply to support the creation of future titles.

Seldane

Don't worry, you won't see any simple titles from us*. The games we're working on now will be of very high quality. I assure you.

*There might be plans for fairly simple games, but I don't want to make such games.  :wink:
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

CrackTiger

Quote from: "Keranu"Don't recall that tech demo.

Scroll down to Eaggys Little Demo-

http://www.zeograd.com/creation_download.php?lang=en&page=3

Keranu

Thanks, I'll check that out in a bit. I love checking on PCE demo ROMs.
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: "Keranu"Thanks, I'll check that out in a bit. I love checking on PCE demo ROMs.

Have you seen Chris Covell's PCE demos(like Axelay on Supergrafx)?

Man, I wish he'd get involved in developing new PCE/SGX software.

NightWolve

I could possibly be persuaded to pay 15-20, but quite honestly, I'm not that hardcore of a fan for this system so I doubt even that. It'd have to be a really purty eff'ing impressive game... Enough to pull me away from the list of PSX/PS2 games I still have left to play.

Quote from: CrackTigerHave you seen Chris Covell's PCE demos(like Axelay on Supergrafx)?
Well, he did make a drive-by comment in response to something I said on the ME forums regarding that subject actually, for what it's worth.

http://www.magicenginefx.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1055&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=210

Quote from: ccovellI am working on a game. Just wait and see.
There you go. Good enough for ya? Heh. As you can see, though, he gave a, "no hints, no previews, no forecasts" type of response.  =\ I don't have much use for those. Also, I noticed he seemed rather indifferent to any praise or most questions raised directly to him. Anyhow, me thinks that's the last time I throw out any props to him.

Keranu

Quote from: CrackTiger
Quote from: KeranuThanks, I'll check that out in a bit. I love checking on PCE demo ROMs.
Have you seen Chris Covell's PCE demos(like Axelay on Supergrafx)?

Of course, that demo was super impressive. All of Chris Covell's demos are amazing.
IMG

PCEngineHell

If you guys get your game done,and it has pretty good quality,not just ok quality and the packaging is great,good paper stick,artwork,and all,and the disc is a really pressed disc,Id pay $40-60. I wouldnt expect the title to be perfect,as it would be your first,but it would be a glimpse of how your stuff will be in the future to come.

Keranu

I think the first three titles we have in the making so far should definitely show people our talent and I am amazed as to how perfectly each of our work goes together. I can safely say are our work is definitely as good or better than games from back in the day. I'm really impressed with our work, and I don't mean to brag.
IMG