RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Who TV

Started by Keranu, 09/13/2005, 09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keranu

Any fans of the legendary 60's British rock band, The Who, will love Who TV if you fans haven't seen it yet - it's linked from Pete Townshend's official site. I found it a few days ago and have watched it numerous times, although once you have seen the whole thing all the way through (I think it's about an hour and a half long), you'll be kind of pissed off since you just can't skip to a different scene and have to wait. I was hoping to be able to replay some nice windmill videos of Pete or some Who instrument smashing, but you'll just have to wait for it to loop :( . However something good is always on, so it's always fun to watch even if you have seen the clip already.

By the way for anyone that watches this, did you guys see that TOTALLY 80's Roger Daltrey Under a Raging Moon concert where they played the "Under a Raging Moon" song? It had this totally 80's scenary, but the other Under a Raging Moon concert clips aren't from the same stage. It's so awesome.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Keranu

I'm watching it again now, I just can't resist! In the beginning of the program, it has a message saying how Who TV contains rare and in some cases, unseen clips, so Who fans should really love this! Long live the greatest band in history!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Keranu

No Who fans here?  :(
IMG

OldRover

Who?! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Keranu

IMG

GUTS

I dig the Who but not enough to sit through an hour and a half of internet movie.  If it was on TV I'd probably watch it though, Pete Townsend was pretty rad.

neokellyzero

Yeah- The Who rock... but I'm with guts-

Hey- speaking of the who on TV does anyone remember when Roger Daltry played a role on The Highlander?

Keranu

The Who is incredible and to think of all the things they created for rock (synthesizers, instrument destructions, wild yells, and rock opera of course, etc...) is amazing to think about. Each member was excellent at what their job was and Townshend is a brilliant genius.

Quote from: "neokellyzero"Hey- speaking of the who on TV does anyone remember when Roger Daltry played a role on The Highlander?
I didn't see it, but I visited this one site a few weeks ago of this older chick that had a crush for Daltry and took pictures of a Highlander convention that Daltry appeared at for his role in the episode he was in.
IMG

neokellyzero

QuoteKeranu Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Who is incredible and to think of all the things they created for rock (synthesizers, instrument destructions, wild yells, and rock opera of course, etc...) is amazing to think about. Each member was excellent at what their job was and Townshend is a brilliant genius.  

You got to love a guy like Pete if for nothing else but two reasons-
1. He basicly inveted the power chord
2. He's basicly deaf and still rocks harder than anyone I can think of half his age[/code]

Keranu

Yep, those are two great reasons. Here are some others:

1.) Came up with the "windmill" method of playing.

2.) Came up with idea of smashing his guitar from the influence of this artist who talks about destruction.

3.) Brilliant song writer.

4.) Made synthesizers popular in rock and showed how awesome they are.

5.) Basically invented the rock opera with "Tommy", along with writing other rock operas that ruled as well.

6.) Excellent guitarist and definitely one of the more influential ones.

7.) Puts on an incredible live performance showing that The Who just isn't great in the studio, but possibly even better outside.

8.) His fingers bleed with pain sometimes when doing the windmill and yet he still goes on doing them faster than ever and forgets the tough pain :D .

I think it might be possible to say that Pete has done more for rock n' roll genre of music than anyone else and it's not just Pete but everyone in The Who had an important role. Daltry had very strong vocals for rock, gave a great image to the band, and his yell in "Won't Get Fooled Again" made history. Entwistle showed that the bass can be an independent instrument and doesn't have to follow another; some people even call him the Jimmy Hendrix of the bass guitar. And then there is krazy old Moon who was a wild man on drums pounding them away like no one had ever heard before back then and was the humerous side of the band who everyone loved. Each band member did their job outstandingly and were the best of their kind for their time it seemed. Their live performances especially show how amazing they can be.
IMG

esteban

hey Keranu, thanks for the link. Hopefully this weekend I'll have some free time and I'll check it out.

It's a shame the other folks aren't blown away by the brilliance of The Who.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Keranu

It is ashame that most people today that listen to this so called "rock" don't even know who The Who ARE, or any other good classic rock band for that matter. God there is this stupid, fat, goth bitch that I know and I was listening to The Who in class and trying to get my friend to like them and the stupid, fat ass, goth cunt was saying how The Who sucked when she heard them. I swear kids today are brain washed or something because there is NO WAY IN HELL a band like Insane Clown Possey (does this even qualify as a band?) is better than the legendary Who. It's all about the fashion now (and terrible fashion at that) than it is about music. To me, the rock and roll genre died about ten years ago.
IMG

GUTS

Goths are fucking stupid to begin with, so what did you expect?  Seriously you have to be one blazingly retarded fuckshit to be a goth.  I would actually be surprised if one of those dipshits knew anything about anything other than horror movies and Nine Inch Nails.

Keranu

I wish goths would commit suicide like they always say how they try to - our world would be a better place if they did :P .

Also I hate it when goths say crap about Johnny Cash because he covered a Nine Inch Nails song? So what? The man can cover whoever the hell he wants because of everything he has accomplished as a musician. He's done more than NIN or any other goth ever will.
IMG

GUTS

The best part is that they love NIN so much but Trent Reznor is a total fake, the guy makes some cool music but the whole goth angle is a total act and those fucktards think he's really all depressed or something in real life.

Keranu

I also hate the fact that goths go to stores like Hot Topic and spend $20 on some stupid ass goth band or horror shirt. I go to the thrift store and pay anywhere from $1-5 for a totally badass 80's shirt. If my digital camera worked, I would take pictures of all the wonderful t-shirt I have.
IMG

neokellyzero

Now don't hate- Before I had to get a real job I enjoy certain aspects of the goth scene.  What you have to keep in mind is that there are 2 kind of "goth"

1. Mainstream- All black wearing, Hot Topic shopping, I cut myself to be cool, studded belts make me a badass and so does shaving my eyebrows and then drawing zig zag eyebrows with mascara, Kelly Osborne wannabes
2. People that use the music and others aspects of the lifestyle as a genuine form of expression or release.

QuoteGUTS Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The best part is that they love NIN so much but Trent Reznor is a total fake, the guy makes some cool music but the whole goth angle is a total act and those fucktards think he's really all depressed or something in real life.

This is so true- does anyone remember when Bowie tried that angle for a few years.  He even toured with NIN if I remember right.  Didn't work so well for him though...

Keranu

I remember a song David Bowie made with Nine Inch Nails called "I'm Afraid of Americans". Wasn't too bad actually, but it totally would have sucked without Bowie.
IMG

Keranu

Quote from: "GUTS"Goths are fucking stupid to begin with, so what did you expect?
I expect her to love The Who and then give me all of her chocolate bars so I could sit back and chew devlishly on the chocolate bars while I was healing her.
IMG

lord_cack

Quote from: "neokellyzero"Now don't hate- Before I had to get a real job I enjoy certain aspects of the goth scene.  What you have to keep in mind is that there are 2 kind of "goth"

1. Mainstream- All black wearing, Hot Topic shopping, I cut myself to be cool, studded belts make me a badass and so does shaving my eyebrows and then drawing zig zag eyebrows with mascara, Kelly Osborne wannabes
2. People that use the music and others aspects of the lifestyle as a genuine form of expression or release.

QuoteGUTS Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject:  

This is so true- does anyone remember when Bowie tried that angle for a few years.  He even toured with NIN if I remember right.  Didn't work so well for him though...

I think that just about anything you see in mass produced media is Fake...and if you don't believe that your also a f&*ktard.

The thing is these people put this shit out as a gimmick...it sells they do it and thats what they gotta do. Cause you have to if you wanna keep yourself in the spotlight...there are some exceptions to these rules...some groups that never stood on gimmicks....alot of artists who never went for the big cash over quality and integrity. But you don't see these bands in the headlines...you don't see them on the cover of magazines. Those are the bands I like the most. But of course there are some who portray themselves genuinely in the media and stick true to themselves....I think we talked at length about one of them...Johnny Cash...he was so the man...he invented Black....take that goth's....
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

esteban

Quote from: "Keranu"It is ashame that most people today that listen to this so called "rock" don't even know who The Who ARE, or any other good classic rock band for that matter. God there is this stupid, fat, goth bitch that I know and I was listening to The Who in class and trying to get my friend to like them and the stupid, fat ass, goth cunt was saying how The Who sucked when she heard them. I swear kids today are brain washed or something because there is NO WAY IN HELL a band like Insane Clown Possey (does this even qualify as a band?) is better than the legendary Who. It's all about the fashion now (and terrible fashion at that) than it is about music. To me, the rock and roll genre died about ten years ago.
Are you ready? Good :).

Keranu, first take a chill pill. The art to mocking somone is NOT to stoop to using the adjectives you used to describe this person in class. I am surprised you wrote this offensive crap. Sorry for being harsh, but that's the way it is.

Next, in addition to The Who (who appeared LATE in the game, around 1964 or '65), there are approximately 2,000 billion other amazing and influential artists that you are not a FAN of, and might not have even heard of. I would never hold that against you. I hope nobody would hold that against me, either.

Also, while I'm no fan of Insane Clown Posse (actually, I don't know their music at all), you should remember that folks dismissed The Who in a similar fashion: "This noise is not even music! And it's TOO LOUD! You kids are listening to crap, why don't you listen to a REAL musician, like Duke Ellington?"

All I'm saying is give peace a chance, motherf***ers. :)

And let's make fun of people, by all means, but there's no need for misogynistic language to be used on these boards.

Keranu

You know I was sort of doing a Maddox-style rant about why goths piss me off right? (Though I am not a Maddox fan) I don't really mean for goths or anyone else to actually kill themselves, it's just sort of a "Maddox" style expression or something like that. We all have to deal with the latest fashion and I'm sure old people back in the 60's couldn't stand those rock n' roll fans (hippies would be the better format to say actually).

Quote from: "Steve"Next, in addition to The Who (who appeared LATE in the game, around 1964 or '65), there are approximately 2,000 billion other amazing and influential artists that you are not a FAN of, and might not have even heard of. I would never hold that against you. I hope nobody would hold that against me, either.
I'm perfectly aware of this and of course everyone is going to have some kind of past influential artist behind them. The Who's influence were rythem and blues American artist and from that they built on their own style which created great influence for rock and roll. I hold The Who as being one of the most important bands in rock and roll history, the main others back in those times would be people like Chuck Berry (the creator), Elvis, The Beatles, and Jimmy Hendrix, etc...
IMG

esteban

Keranu, my main beef with you was the way you described that girl in your class. That was my #1 concern. You know I still love you :)

Keranu

I hate that girl, she is always pestering me in school. She used to steal things out of my lunch with her other (large) friends from my locker back in 8th grade. Not only that but her and her friends would often criticize me of course and they are lucky that I am a very kind person in public and would just take it without saying anything negative back.

Please, lets keep this to be a thread for The Who. I really don't want to see this thread go off anymore than it already has. This is one reason why I constantly think about not posting on message boards at certain times.
IMG

GUTS

In Keranu's defence ICP is probably one of the most talentless bands of all time, they appeal only to people who smoke weed religiously.

And just out of curiosity, Steve was it the "cunt" that got you riled?  Cause if so you'd hate the UK, that's like fuck over there, they use it for everything haha.

Keranu

The C word is a very strong word out here in the USA but in the UK it's common like "bitch" is out here, hahaha.
IMG

lord_cack

I am gonna step in here and say....I like some of The Who's stuff....some....not a huge fan. I see there influence and I get that but...they weren't a huge influence in my persona life....Same goes for Zepplin, great Rock band...deserve all the accolaids (however its spelled) the get but I was never a huge fan of them...I like a lot of there stuff though....But, on the same note...People would prolly never see the influence that people like Waylon Jennings had on Rock and Country music....so...people don't always like all types of music....call them stupid cunts what ever....but lets face it, bands like The Cult were also fairly influencial...so lets all come together on this music issue...well except when it comes to 50 Cent and his ilk...influencial or not most Hip Hop is BS and I ain't buying....that prolly makes me a dick... :shock:  so be it...there hasn't been a great Hip Hop group in a long time....maybe Nelly...maybe Ludacris...but thats thin....neither of them hold a gold chain to Run DMC, Public Enemy ect.... also....you are talking about a girl in High school....now K my friend....you have been blessed by a good solid respect for music in general...that isn't always true for most kids your age (I got atleast 10 years on yah..."kid" fits hehe :lol: ). Now give her a couple of years and she will most likely see and respect alittle more than she does now...(if not...your gonna have to teach her a thing of two....at all costs...you can take that for what you will hehehe  :shock: )

esteban

Quote from: "GUTS"In Keranu's defence ICP is probably one of the most talentless bands of all time, they appeal only to people who smoke weed religiously.

And just out of curiosity, Steve was it the "cunt" that got you riled?  Cause if so you'd hate the UK, that's like fuck over there, they use it for everything haha.
It was the "c", "b" and "f" words, really. The combination of words alone didn't put me over the edge, though: it was the overall tone of Keranu's post. It was hateful... if Keranu intended it to be satire, well, it fell flat. Sorry Keranu, just answering GUTS' question :).

I guess I should put things in perspective: I hate the fact that misogynistic language and concepts are used so freely (and without thinking) in casual conversation.  Ditto for homophobic, racist, etc. crap. I felt that Keranu resorted to lame, offensive putdowns of "goth girl" instead of taking a few extra moments to come up with more creative insults. "You're fat and stupid" is not funny or amusing. Sorry. Kids in grammar school come up with better material than that. So "hyper hebrew", which you have used on these forums, is another item that falls into this category. I can't stand crap like that. Sorry, Guts.

Disclaimer: Keranu, the preceding post was not intended to drag things out. If anything, this will help you understand where I am coming from. I'll say it again: you know I love ya :).

lord_cack

Quote from: "stevek666"
Quote from: "GUTS"In Keranu's defence ICP is probably one of the most talentless bands of all time, they appeal only to people who smoke weed religiously.

It was the "c", "b" and "f" words, really. The combination of words alone didn't put me over the edge, though: it was the overall tone of Keranu's post. It was hateful... if Keranu intended it to be satire, well, it fell flat. Sorry Keranu, just answering GUTS' question :).

I guess I should put things in perspective: I hate the fact that misogynistic language and concepts are used so freely (and without thinking) in casual conversation.  Ditto for homophobic, racist, etc. crap. I felt that Keranu resorted to lame, offensive putdowns of "goth girl" instead of taking a few extra moments to come up with more creative insults. "You're fat and stupid" is not funny or amusing. Sorry. Kids in grammar school come up with better material than that. So "hyper hebrew", which you have used on these forums, is another item that falls into this category. I can't stand crap like that. Sorry, Guts.

Disclaimer: Keranu, the preceding post was not intended to drag things out. If anything, this will help you understand where I am coming from. I'll say it again: you know I love ya :).

OK, so lets throw out...Cunt, Bitch, Fag, Dick, (allow me to pull out my (hehe pull out) Kevin Smith  hand book), Cock Smoker, Cock Knocker....

What language would you prefer Steve  :P

(this message was brought to you by a sarcastic asshole hehe :D )

OldRover

Okay ladies, before you all get your panties in a bunch and the hair starts flying from your little catfight, let me give my two cents on this subject. :D

The Who rocked. Y'all better recognize. :D But yes, there were a lot of influential bands of the time, as well as before and after the time. Two of my favourite influential bands of all time are Black Sabbath and Steppenwolf...both bands defined the genre of heavy metal (Steppenwolf defined the phrase [Born To Be Wild] and Black Sabbath defined the music [Black Sabbath and Wicked Woman]). Tony Iommi was the only person in history to perform a pitch bend behind the nut on his guitar (he did this for the opening notes of "Ironman"). Even to this day, people still cover classic Black Sabbath tracks...they were just that damn influential.

Ah goths...little poser wanabes running around whining about how they're so depressed and life is soooooo hard and how the world won't miss them when they're gone and yadda yadda yadda bullshit left and right. Bands like NIN make their money off of these morons because they know that they'll buy the shit up without thinking twice about it...sheep to the slaughter. Yeah, your life is so hard, you Gucci-toting art school dropout...I wish they really would just all off themselves...but then we'd have no one to make fun of in threads like this. :)

Real goths (read: artistically inclined, studious and serious people who live their art) are exceptionally rare. You won't notice them, because unlike the poser goths, they don't have loud mouths, whine about their rotten lives, or mope around in all black looking like death warmed over because they just spent the last 9 days locked in their bedroom without sunlight playing Trent Reznor's Greatest Hits through their massive studio-quality headphones. Real goths don't pig out on chocolate and then whine about their zit-covered face and blame it on life's cruelty.

I love this stuff. :D
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

esteban

Quote from: "lord_cack"OK, so lets throw out...Cunt, Bitch, Fag, Dick, (allow me to pull out my (hehe pull out) Kevin Smith  hand book), Cock Smoker, Cock Knocker....

What language would you prefer Steve  :P

(this message was brought to you by a sarcastic asshole hehe :D )
What's wrong with "dick"? We can keep that one :).

esteban

Quote from: OldRoverOkay ladies, before you all get your panties in a bunch and the hair starts flying from your little catfight, let me give my two cents on this subject. :D

The Who rocked. Y'all better recognize. :D But yes, there were a lot of influential bands of the time, as well as before and after the time. Two of my favourite influential bands of all time are Black Sabbath and Steppenwolf...both bands defined the genre of heavy metal (Steppenwolf defined the phrase [Born To Be Wild] and Black Sabbath defined the music [Black Sabbath and Wicked Woman]). Tony Iommi was the only person in history to perform a pitch bend behind the nut on his guitar (he did this for the opening notes of "Ironman"). Even to this day, people still cover classic Black Sabbath tracks...they were just that damn influential.

Ah goths...little poser wanabes running around whining about how they're so depressed and life is soooooo hard and how the world won't miss them when they're gone and yadda yadda yadda bullshit left and right. Bands like NIN make their money off of these morons because they know that they'll buy the shit up without thinking twice about it...sheep to the slaughter. Yeah, your life is so hard, you Gucci-toting art school dropout...I wish they really would just all off themselves...but then we'd have no one to make fun of in threads like this. :)

Real goths (read: artistically inclined, studious and serious people who live their art) are exceptionally rare. You won't notice them, because unlike the poser goths, they don't have loud mouths, whine about their rotten lives, or mope around in all black looking like death warmed over because they just spent the last 9 days locked in their bedroom without sunlight playing Trent Reznor's Greatest Hits through their massive studio-quality headphones. Real goths don't pig out on chocolate and then whine about their zit-covered face and blame it on life's cruelty.

I love this stuff. :D
Yup. We should note that the real problem is not "goth" --- the problem is the fashion-oriented, commercialized scene that generated out of "goth". The same thing can be said of punk, hip hop, extreme sports, skateboarding, etc. etc. When it is reduced to a fashion style, then it has been stripped of any meaningful content.

Social cliques and fashions have a long history in rock-n-roll, by the way. So "goth" is just one of many in a long line -- in fact, The Who deal with this in their lyrics!!! -- of fashionable youth cultures: teddy boys, mods, rockers, punks, skinheads, etc.  Those are from Britain, you can add a bunch more if you look at U.S. pop culture (i.e. greasers, hippies, etc.) And recently (for me, anyway, you have ravers, grunge, etc.). It's lifestyle  intersecting with music, I guess. There are tons of sub-genres to all of this (straight-edge- vs. crusty- vs. peace- punks).    

The key thing to remember is that there was more than just fashion to all of these youth cultures (including goth!) -- there were politics, a way of looking at the world, a form of self- and group-identification, etc. etc.

The problem is when any of these youth cultures is reduced to its aesthetics.

Tonight's homework: How does all of this stuff pertain to The Who's lyrics and themes? Hint: Quadrophenia, Mods vs. Rockers.

Keranu

I thought we were already way past the way goths suck thing and my potty-mouthed post  :roll: . Someone please make a new thread just for that and not disgrace a thread for The Who. I'll make another Who thread if I have to.
IMG

lord_cack

Quote from: "Keranu"I thought we were already way past the way goths suck thing and my potty-mouthed post  :roll: . Someone please make a new thread just for that and not disgrace a thread for The Who. I'll make another Who thread if I have to.

yeah that goth stuff...just lame, and then all they do is whine all day about blah, blah....hey K...:lol:  just f*&kin with yah....

Black Sabbath....that was a great band...probably better on a whole than Ozzy solo...I mean he did have his moments solo don't get me wrong....but his early solo career rode pretty much on Black Sabbath's coat tails....till people realised how much Randy Rhodes ROCKED....then he died....damn shame...

oh The who....they rocked too but I think I covered that...

Keranu

Heads up on the Steppenwolf mention, Nod. That's a classic American rock band right there. I bought two of the same of these Steppenwolf t-shirts I found at the thrift store; they are so awesome, haha. They have this long-haired indian holding up a sword with wolves behind him and stuff, advertising their 1991 tour on the back. It's really 80's.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: "Keranu"I thought we were already way past the way goths suck thing and my potty-mouthed post  :roll: . Someone please make a new thread just for that and not disgrace a thread for The Who. I'll make another Who thread if I have to.
??? I thought you'd be all over my suggestion: to discuss Quadrophenia and how Jimmy (and the mods vs. the rockers conflict) is totally relevant to the discussion we're having. Ironically, it turns out that the "tangent" on goth wasn't such a tangent at all!

"My Generation" also can be discussed, since it also deals with some of the aspects I outlined in my prior post.

Keranu

I did see your post with Quadrophenia mentioned (badass album, even though not quite as epic as Tommy), but I didn't notice that you were suggesting to talk about it; I thought you just sort of brought it up as an example.

So yeah, Quadrophenia, it's a badass album. One of my favorite tracks is "Dr. Jimmy" which has some of the coolest lyrics in any rock song:

"What is it? I'll take it. Who is she? I'll rape it! Gotta a bet there? I'll meet it. Getting high? You can't beat it!"

Also this line is just totally awesome:

"Who cut up my eye and tore up my Levis!" :D

Not to go off topic with the whole fashion thing, but I have to say that when Townshend wrote songs influenced from his spiritual learnings from Meher Baba, they totally ruled and the Tommy album shows it of course, especially in the final track "See Me, Feel Me / Listening to You" which is one of my favorite tracks of all time. The Live at Leeds version of See Me, Feel Me / Listening to You is the most powerful moment I have ever heard in rock history; magnificent version of the song. I don't know how Townshend comes up with everything and puts it together so well, but it's such an incredible experience from rock music.  :D
IMG