Limited Run Games

Started by Medic_wheat, 06/03/2016, 04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ParanoiaDragon

WTH?  Wierd! As for which version is best, isn't the 3DO one the best version, or is that just an assumption on my part?
IMG

Joe Redifer

Is it really a VHS transfer? Looks a lot better than that to me from the video I have. There is some tape damage here and there but I think it's from maybe Betacam SP or regular-ass Betacam.

NecroPhile

Three packaging variants = greedy fuckers.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

glazball

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 04/25/2017, 10:31 PMUnfortunately there doesn't seem to be any plans for a pre order to meet demand so what ever print run there is will be a blood bath. With this much media attention it will be hard to get a copy.

With that said this is still a pleasant announcement.
This is surprising to read.  Why all the excitement?  I really don't understand.  Night Trap is already PHYSICALLY AVAILABLE.  This stinks of nothing but a cash grab.

I thought the whole point of LRG's philosophy is to make physical games for those great but lower-budget titles that would not have ordinarily gotten a physical release.  Now, they are talking about a game that's been out for years, on 2 platforms no less, and on top of that everyone is thrilled?  I really don't understand!

I've been supporting LRG since the very beginning, but I don't know how much longer I or my wallet can continue if they are just going to rehash games that you can already find and play.  They should stick to new titles.
glazball's game collection and wantlist

NecroPhile

It's not the original game running in an emulator on the PS4.  It's a remake of sorts, not unlike the Oddworld games.

glazball

What is there to remake except higher quality video?  I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm honestly curious.

In any case, it's just such a weird, weird choice.

NecroPhile

I assume that's it, just better quality video and a high-res HUD.  But that is a different game, more so than doing both PS4 and Vita versions of other games anyway.

I think they'll do just about anything if the devs are willing; there's enough collectards out there to buy up 2000 copies, even if the game is questionable.  I don't think this one is that bad of an idea, though, as there's a lot of nostalgia for such "classic" games and lots of peeps only do game on new hardware.  I won't be buying it, but it's a damned sight better than Breach and Clear or Esther.

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 04/26/2017, 05:13 PMI assume that's it, just better quality video and a high-res HUD.  But that is a different game, more so than doing both PS4 and Vita versions of other games anyway.

I think they'll do just about anything if the devs are willing; there's enough collectards out there to buy up 2000 copies, even if the game is questionable.  I don't think this one is that bad of an idea, though, as there's a lot of nostalgia for such "classic" games and lots of peeps only do game on new hardware.  I won't be buying it, but it's a damned sight better than Breach and Clear or Esther.
Damn fine post and very choice inclusion of Dear Esturd.  =D>

Joe Redifer

I had heard that Limited Run Games was surprised by the reaction to Night Trap and will likely increase their order with Sony for the print run. The 32X version I guess is only for followers of their loyalty program or some such thing. Personally I always preferred the original artwork that looks like a 60's B movie. The redone stuff with Dana Plato on the cover always looked bad. It uses the worst picture of her possible and it's just not composed very well.

xcrement5x

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/26/2017, 05:33 PMI had heard that Limited Run Games was surprised by the reaction to Night Trap and will likely increase their order with Sony for the print run. The 32X version I guess is only for followers of their loyalty program or some such thing. Personally I always preferred the original artwork that looks like a 60's B movie. The redone stuff with Dana Plato on the cover always looked bad. It uses the worst picture of her possible and it's just not composed very well.
I agree, I'm hoping they do one based off the red cardboard box as well.  I said on another forum, they should even include the MA-13 stamp on the front since the VRC is no longer around.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 04/26/2017, 06:36 PM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/26/2017, 05:33 PMI had heard that Limited Run Games was surprised by the reaction to Night Trap and will likely increase their order with Sony for the print run. The 32X version I guess is only for followers of their loyalty program or some such thing. Personally I always preferred the original artwork that looks like a 60's B movie. The redone stuff with Dana Plato on the cover always looked bad. It uses the worst picture of her possible and it's just not composed very well.
I agree, I'm hoping they do one based off the red cardboard box as well.  I said on another forum, they should even include the MA-13 stamp on the front since the VRC is no longer around.
They have shown two of the three cover variants planed to mirror the three sega cd covers. So a red cover variant is probabaly the third I shown version.

Groover

I really hope Limited Run games ups their order on Night Trap as the worst and most frustrating thing about Limited Run Games is trying to buy the game.

Also I'm a little off put buy selling cover variants. That seems like a scumbag move to sucker collectors and cause people to buy more than one copy. If your going to make a variant cover just make it reversible. These games are limited as it is. Now they split the inventory into three.

Here is the third option. They couldn't get the original as some Collector owns the original painting that was used to print from. I will pick this third option. I hope I can get to buy it before it sells out.

I found out the cover will be reversible so there is the reversible cover and the 32X version is exclusive to a private group of people.
IMG
IMG

Groover

double post
IMG

schweaty

bartre

the art groover posted has been the only good one I've seen.
the blue and yellow stripes on the side are just obnoxious on the PS4 box

crazydean

Quote from: schweaty on 04/27/2017, 12:15 AMWhy?
I concur. I find it hard to believe that people buying the PS4 version don't already have the game on another platform.

Maybe I'm just jaded since I think Night Trap is a lame game, and if it weren't for its historical significance with the ESRB, it would have simply faded into obscurity. There were other games at the time, or earlier, that could have been the forefront of the ratings movement. This one just happened to make it into the limelight.

glazball

Quote from: Groover on 04/26/2017, 10:09 PMAlso I'm a little off put buy selling cover variants. That seems like a scumbag move to sucker collectors and cause people to buy more than one copy. If your going to make a variant cover just make it reversible. These games are limited as it is. Now they split the inventory into three.
It is kind of a dick move, but I think it's even more ridiculous that some people need to collect every variant.  OK, if we're talking about Atari 2600 carts, there's some historical interest in label variations.  But for a new title, it's just stupid.  (I should put "new" in quotes.  How about "newly released")

Psycho Punch

Quote from: crazydean on 04/27/2017, 05:42 AM
Quote from: schweaty on 04/27/2017, 12:15 AMWhy?
I concur. I find it hard to believe that people buying the PS4 version don't already have the game on another platform.

Maybe I'm just jaded since I think Night Trap is a lame game, and if it weren't for its historical significance with the ESRB, it would have simply faded into obscurity. There were other games at the time, or earlier, that could have been the forefront of the ratings movement. This one just happened to make it into the limelight.
NEC should have been thankful they weren't successuful in the us, they were more lax and had a lot of worse stuff, like an investigation game which has a rape case in all bold letters, a game where people are ejected into outer space with severed bloody limbs and bitchslapping for questioning a man, a game where you're a muslim from a town named "ASSASSI" who kills crusaders and smokes weed all day erryday... the list goes on. :lol:

E: the cover art variants suck aside from the one posted here, which is very charming but I wish they had access to the original painting. Having three variants (two of them butt ugly) is stupid and greedy, and the top left circle being cutoff by the orange frame triggers me immensely, so fuck Limited Run Games.

E2: Poor Dana Plato, imagine being immortalized forever for being in a Digital Pictures FMV game instead of everything else she did on her short lived career.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

NecroPhile

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 04/27/2017, 01:41 PMNEC should have been thankful they weren't successuful in the us, they were more lax and had a lot of worse stuff, like an investigation game which has a rape case in all bold letters, a game where people are ejected into outer space with severed bloody limbs and bitchslapping for questioning a man, a game where you're a muslim from a town named "ASSASSI" who kills crusaders and smokes weed all day erryday... the list goes on. :lol:
Sorry, this happens to be my hobby.  :mrgreen:

Groover

For me Night Trap was the first game I bought for my Sega CD after playing the pack in games. I owned this game before the US senate freaked out about it and I found the whole debacle hilarious since the game is very tame.

Night Trap is pretty lame as a game and very campy as a B movie.
You beat the game by having a notepad next to you logging all the beeps and the time and location of each trap. After a few playthroughs you have a working log of where to go and when and that is kind of boring.

As for going back and playing the Sega CD while the first version is not the best in terms of video quality. The 32X CD version improved on both scale  and  colors. The 3DO version has the best video quality. The PC and Mac versions is about the 32X video quality. This new version will have the best video quality as the game was originally going to be on a VHS JVC console I think.

FMV games where new to console and while new was exciting the interest dropped very quickly and for good reason.

If you look at my Sega CD games I had you can see why the Sega CD was not a huge success.

Sonic CD was my favorite at the time.
IMG

xcrement5x

esteban

NIGHT TRAP = lame. The scenes simply can't compare to the scenes from ICFTD.

I've wished that someone would find footage for It Came From the Desert TG-CD and preserve it.

For great justice.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Psycho Punch

Quote from: esteban on 04/27/2017, 03:57 PMNIGHT TRAP = lame. The scenes simply can't compare to the scenes from ICFTD.

I've wished that someone would find footage for It Came From the Desert TG-CD and preserve it.

For great justice.
There must be a film reel somewhere, or at least a timecoded video tape. It came from the Desert remaster NAO! (with non shit minigames... or all the game sans fmv replaced with the Amiga version, please)
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!

Joe Redifer

Night Trap is better than It Came From the Desert. But they both suck in that super-cheesy way that makes them great. I bet if Limited Run Games were releasing a 25th anniversary remaster of John Madden Duo CD Football you guys would be more stoked. :P

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/27/2017, 06:05 PMNight Trap is better than It Came From the Desert. But they both suck in that super-cheesy way that makes them great. I bet if Limited Run Games were releasing a 25th anniversary remaster of John Madden Duo CD Football you guys would be more stoked. :P
Hahahahhaha.

I don't think I'm ever going to get John Madden, unless there is a story arc with scenes starring the game's namesake.

:)

ParanoiaDragon

Heh, the one John Madden I actually care about!  I beat the game, never cared about SNES/Genny/etc. JM's.  Actually, I like that it doesn't use real stats & such.  I feel like that's what makes every real sports game totally outdated a year later & worth a nickel.......at best!

Seriously though, ICFTD, that'd be cool.  If anything I'd like to see remastered from Sega CD/Turbo CD/PS1 is Snatcher along with Policenaughts, though only the latter got an official english release.
IMG

Joe Redifer

That would be awesome. You're old, fat John Madden. You must go on an adventure to accomplish... whatever. You fight battles and all of your weapons are tools from Ace Hardware.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/28/2017, 04:32 PMThat would be awesome. You're old, fat John Madden. You must go on an adventure to accomplish... whatever. You fight battles and all of your weapons are tools from Ace Hardware.
This isn't a game. It's my life
--DragonmasterDan

Gypsy

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/28/2017, 04:32 PMThat would be awesome. You're old, fat John Madden. You must go on an adventure to accomplish... whatever. You fight battles and all of your weapons are tools from Ace Hardware.
Would buy.

Medic_wheat

Well I got the Darius standered. 

I still kinda wish I just bought the play Asia Vita copy. Hmm. Not sure. Might use it for trade bait for Vita games.

esteban

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 04/28/2017, 04:38 PM
This isn't a game. It's my life
:)

TheClash603

BOOM!  Tough actin' Tinactin.

Medic_wheat

Special Reserve Games.

Ahem. STRAFF!

Do you remember this video and the hilarity?
Well you should there was a thread dedicated to it here.

Well a competitior to Limited Run Games is taking pre-orders for physical PS4 and PC (bundle options as well) for it.

https://www.specialreservegames.com

Pros

Pre orders seem to be their MO (this is their second game, the first was PC only port of shadow warrior 2)

You can still pre order the game and their first release is also still available if you are interested (I am not I will get the PS4 copy eventually).

I heard of this company awhile back however Limited Run actually sent out a email today promoting these guys. So that was cool.

Cons

Limited run is cross promoting this new company. Why is this a con? Because Limited Run is releasing a variant cover of the PS4 release later in May.

Even with the pre order it looks like STRAFF is limited to 2,00 copies. Unclear if this is for Limited Runs  Ariana cover or the pre Oder as well.

Medic_wheat

IMG

Slight update

IMG

Psycho Punch

"Limited Run"
"Special Reserve"

Come on guys.

(also lol at the RAD game running widescreen on a 4:3 CRT monitor)

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 05/03/2017, 11:35 AM"Limited Run"
"Special Reserve"

Come on guys.

Yeah I am slightly confused as  to the nature of their partnership. Something just seems like this new company is a porpriatsry.

Like how the PepsiCo also owns Lipton and Starbucks.

crazydean

Quote from: guest on 05/03/2017, 11:35 AM"Limited Run"
"Special Reserve"

Come on guys.

I can't believe that Night Trap is the game they chose to re-release. Didn't know there were so many people who liked this game.

glazball

Quote from: crazydean on 05/03/2017, 02:45 PMI can't believe that Night Trap is the game they chose to re-release. Didn't know there were so many people who liked this game.
There isn't.  All of these nubs who are acting apeshit about this release - if they even actually open the copy they buy - are going to find out it is not a great game.  I honestly never thought I'd see the day that FMV gets any kind of lovin' again.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: glazball on 05/05/2017, 10:35 AM
Quote from: crazydean on 05/03/2017, 02:45 PMI can't believe that Night Trap is the game they chose to re-release. Didn't know there were so many people who liked this game.
There isn't.  All of these nubs who are acting apeshit about this release - if they even actually open the copy they buy - are going to find out it is not a great game.  I honestly never thought I'd see the day that FMV gets any kind of lovin' again.
Most buyers are generally 20 something hipsters who bought it for the ironic irony, ironically (which is usually all about liking something dumb and being too much of a pussy to say "I actually like this!", or, in this case, just bandwagoning).

Hipsters and artificial short supplies, a match made in heaven

GohanX

I would legit like a release of Sewer Shark. It's terrible too, but it's entertaining and you could probably turn the rat shooting into a decent game if you tried.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: GohanX on 05/05/2017, 07:14 PMI would legit like a release of Sewer Shark. It's terrible too, but it's entertaining and you could probably turn the rat shooting into a decent game if you tried.
Second.

I have fond memories of playing sewer shark and night trap at my cousins house  (my cousin being 6 years older then me and having this cooo sega cd thingy lol).

I get so "grown up" playing his genesis games and being amazed by cd games and FMV life like graphics.

Keeping in mind that st the time I still rocked my hand me down NES.

ChuChu Flamingo

Night trap isn't a good game,but it does have a certain charm if you want to get laughs. I think what pisses me off most about it is you need to rush all the scenes/not see them to get the best ending/even get a decent ending.

Additionally, their kickstarter was a total shitshow. They could easily fix the problem above and it would play better (I use that term lightly since it is a fmv game).

TDIRunner

If they are remaking Night Trap, it would be nice if they would offer some type of bonus feature that would allow you to watch all of the scenes without worrying about catching the monsters.  As someone already said, if you want to be good at the game, you have to miss most of the "good" scenes.  Although, I'm guessing that already exists on YouTube somewhere.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

geise

Hell yes and your super weapon is tough actin' tinactin. Every time you use it he goes BOOM!

esteban

Quote from: geise on 05/08/2017, 06:29 PM
Hell yes and your super weapon is tough actin' tinactin. Every time you use it he goes BOOM!
And you get powerups (Hammer, level, electrical tape, power drill, etc.) from ACE hardware.

Wait, did he donads for ACE Hardware?

Or am I thinking of some other bastard?

TR0N

Damn you LRG !!! They get the physical release for wonderboy the dragons trap.
http://www.limitedrungames.com/blogs/news/wonder-boy-the-dragons-trap
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

DragonmasterDan

It's nostalgic. The game itself isn't that fun to play, but it's a strange time capsule of late 80s sensibilities mixed with fond memories of the early days of CD-ROM based gaming. Is it that fun? No.

Do I find it to be incredibly charming? Yes
--DragonmasterDan

schweaty

Quote from: TR0N on 05/10/2017, 03:43 AMDamn you LRG !!! They get the physical release for wonderboy the dragons trap.
http://www.limitedrungames.com/blogs/news/wonder-boy-the-dragons-trap
Is it still "limited run" if play-asia is taking pre-orders for the same games?

NecroPhile

Quote from: schweaty on 05/10/2017, 08:52 AMIs it still "limited run" if play-asia is taking pre-orders for the same games?
I assume there's won't also be NA region, so yes.

schweaty

Quote from: guest on 05/10/2017, 09:10 AM
Quote from: schweaty on 05/10/2017, 08:52 AMIs it still "limited run" if play-asia is taking pre-orders for the same games?
I assume there's won't also be NA region, so yes.
I believe the ps4 is region free and play-asia advertises wonderboy and Ys origin as multi-language.  Will there be any difference in the gaming experience for NA players?