10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

NecroPhile's game clears and mindless musings

Started by NecroPhile, 07/11/2012, 12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

Quote from: seieienbu on 12/20/2017, 10:23 PMIf I get to a million I'll make a thread to document my adventures.
Figure out a way to show the passing of the seasons... for example:

(1) stop shaving/cutting your hair (indefinitely) and take a daily photo next to Deep Blue title screen.

(2) film the bird's nest outside the window that is visible from your desk...we will witness the miracle of life as you trudge through months/years of Deep Blue.

(3) you get the idea...

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Bardoly

Quote from: Mathius on 12/19/2017, 08:11 PM
Quote from: esteban on 12/19/2017, 05:30 PMI MAY HAVE ONLY GOTTEN TO LEVEL THREE.
You know what other game where I've only gotten to level three? Nexzr.

...I may have made it to level four once. Once.  8-[
Go for it!  Nexzr, while difficult, is not impossible.  I know this, because I bear it a couple of years ago, after working hard on it for several days.  After I beat it, I immediately went back and beat the caravan version just to see the differences.

Congratulations, Necromancer on a hard fought clear!  I don't know if I have the fortitude to go after clearing Deep Blue, myself...    ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

NecroPhile

Clear #87 - Exile

IMG

A fun action RPG that's often overlooked but is well worth playing, especially since there's so few RPGs in English.  There's also an un-worked designs patch if you'd rather play the translation without the various stats changes, though I found the regular USA version to play just fine as is.

The Good:  sweet tunes and better than average voice work; Valis, Exile 2, and Cosmic Fantasy references, including a Yuko cameo and wardrobe change; colorful and often nicely detailed scenery with gruesome and more 'adult' themes and a cool host of enemies; and an island (Lesbos?) full of nekkid girlies!

The Bad:  kinda short; lame WD-isms, such as a dude being burned at the stake and proclaiming "I hate mesquite!"; annoying maze like dungeons with waaay too many doors, doors that would have to work like teleporters rather than actual doors; and a sad fate for poor Rumi.  :|

The Ugly:  NA
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Mathius

The music in Exile is hugely nostalgic for me as it was one of my first US CDs years ago. I love its music but, like NecroPhile, I hate those damn door mazes that make zero logical sense. That kind of stuff drives me bananas. There is a door in Fallout 3 like that. It bugs the hell outta me.

Gypsy

Exile is a fantastic game. I had the same general complaints especially the fact that it is really short. On the other hand, it's kind of nice as a short, easy and enjoyable game.

The US version is really easy, and presumably WD made it slightly more difficult so if that's the case the Japanese version likely beats itself.

It's definitely one of my favourites on the system.

geise

Everything about Exile 1 is better than WP in the US. I always had a hard time enjoying/completing WP but I can always have fun with the first Exile.

esteban

Quote from: geise on 01/17/2018, 12:43 PMEverything about Exile 1 is better than WP in the US. I always had a hard time enjoying/completing WP but I can always have fun with the first Exile.
I agree. Exile was totally fun and enjoyable (multiple replays over the years)...

But Wicked Phenomanomanoaminsjfkfg?

Not an instantly charming game, even though I *want* to like it.

Gypsy

I guess I should try WP at some point. Low priority though.

ParanoiaDragon

The one thing I think WP does better, is the cinemas.  Ultimately, I don't feel like Exile has the greatest cinemas as far as animation, color & sharpness goes.  But WP shines, at least, comparatively to the previous game.  Not saying it looks & animates like a saturday morning cartoon, but it's deffinitely nicer to look at.
IMG

NecroPhile

The sequel's are definitely better (especially in animation), but Exile's aren't bad for just a regular CD.

Quote from: Gypsy on 01/17/2018, 10:13 AMThe US version is really easy, and presumably WD made it slightly more difficult so if that's the case the Japanese version likely beats itself.
Ha!  It's definitely not a tough one; other than the bird thing (fuck him), even the bosses are pretty easy, especially if you use a couple stat buff drugs for 'em.

seieienbu

Exile was a game I'd show people to demonstrate why CDs were cool.  Between the cinematic sequences and all the voice acting combined with a serviceable action game?  This, Ys (obviously), and Last Alert were generally what I'd show people early on. 

I've still never played the US release of the sequel.  I missed it completely back when and after getting back into older stuff everything I've read (plus the price tag) has kept me wary about the game.  At some point I'd like to get around to trying the game out but it sure sounds at least a bit miserable to play from the descriptions.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

NecroPhile

Do what I'm planning to do and play the un-worked designs patched version.  That way you get the best of both worlds: playing in English and with the original difficulty level.

Psycho Punch

Exile is one of my favorite flawed games on the system. So much potential but clearly rushed at some point in development :(
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Mathius

Quote from: NecroPhile on 01/18/2018, 05:10 PMDo what I'm planning to do and play the un-worked designs patched version.  That way you get the best of both worlds: playing in English and with the original difficulty level.
I did not know about this! Woo!

NecroPhile

Quote from: Mathius on 01/18/2018, 06:13 PMI did not know about this! Woo!
The guy (supper) has patched all sorts of Working Designs games, including Cosmic Fantasy 2 to let Babs flip the bird and fix some minor stats changes:  http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23436.0.

Not all heroes wear capes.  :mrgreen:

Psycho Punch

Oh by the way there's a series of youtube videos of this game that explain the religious references in annotations, plus the uploader is kinda insane lol. Worth checking out.
IMG

It only gets better from there.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!

Mathius

Quote from: NecroPhile on 01/18/2018, 06:19 PM
The guy (supper) has patched all sorts of Working Designs games, including Cosmic Fantasy 2 to let Babs flip the bird and fix some minor stats changes:  http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23436.0.

Bookmarked. Thank you! Will these patches work on real hardwear?

NecroPhile

As far as I know they all do, though the only one I've tried so far is Wicked Phenomenon.

Gypsy

Quote from: seieienbu on 01/18/2018, 04:42 PMExile was a game I'd show people to demonstrate why CDs were cool.  Between the cinematic sequences and all the voice acting combined with a serviceable action game?  This, Ys (obviously), and Last Alert were generally what I'd show people early on. 
We talking PCE only or any early CD games?

Quote from: NecroPhile on 01/18/2018, 05:10 PMDo what I'm planning to do and play the un-worked designs patched version.  That way you get the best of both worlds: playing in English and with the original difficulty level.
Definitely the way to go.

seieienbu

Quote from: Gypsy on 01/18/2018, 09:21 PM
Quote from: seieienbu on 01/18/2018, 04:42 PMExile was a game I'd show people to demonstrate why CDs were cool.  Between the cinematic sequences and all the voice acting combined with a serviceable action game?  This, Ys (obviously), and Last Alert were generally what I'd show people early on. 
I didn't have a cd drive for a computer for a few more years.  The first PC CD game I got was Warcraft 1 so I must have gotten it around 1994 or so.

esteban

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 01/18/2018, 06:26 PMOh by the way there's a series of youtube videos of this game that explain the religious references in annotations, plus the uploader is kinda insane lol. Worth checking out.
IMG

I know this person has to be goofing...OR IS HE?

j/k, this person is off his meds.

Also, since we are talking about Exile, the game we know on PCE/TG-16 as "Exile" is actually the second installment...and the first game is supposed to be totally wacky/crazy with its plot/storyline/premise.

Or so I've been told, anyway.

Here is the most important thing:
I "fixed" the American flag featured in a boss fight, only to realize that the *original* design in the game is actually far more charming.

No, I've never played MSX Exile.

But I will.

Before I die.

ParanoiaDragon

Yeah, I've wanted someone someday to go all out & make the first game on the Turbob, though it'd also be nice if someone hacked Exile to include the levels that were removed when porting it from the PC versions, to the Turbo.
IMG

Gypsy

Quote from: seieienbu on 01/19/2018, 04:00 AM
Quote from: Gypsy on 01/18/2018, 09:21 PM
I didn't have a cd drive for a computer for a few more years.  The first PC CD game I got was Warcraft 1 so I must have gotten it around 1994 or so.
Heh, my family was poor. I don't think we even had a PC until I want to say 98 or 99 and it was an old one removed from a bank when they got new ones.

xcrement5x

Quote from: Mathius on 01/18/2018, 06:32 PM
Quote from: NecroPhile on 01/18/2018, 06:19 PM

Bookmarked. Thank you! Will these patches work on real hardwear?
Yeah, I have messed with the Popful Mail one as well and it worked fine.  Popful Mail was always challenging with the difficulty as it was, though it was cheap in spots too considering the stat boosts.  The Un-Worked version is good if you want to play though the game without as much grinding for gold to buy items.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Gypsy

Popful Mail is my favourite old Japanese game. It just has it all.

in99flames

I didnt know about those patches....this is something I must try.  Cant argue with fixing stuff :-P

Although I cant see a link on where to get the patches. It could be my phone but i see no links that point to his work.
I am somebody's mommy!
----name that movie quote :)

NecroPhile

The game titles and screen shot pics are the download links.

NecroPhile

Clear #88 - Exile: Wicked Phenomenon

IMG

Another good action RPG, but this time you definitely will want the un-worked designs patch to play in English but with the original (rather easy) difficulty level.  The normal US version is too frustrating to be fun.

The Good:  more great tunes and competent voice acting; even better cinemas and backgrounds; multiple characters to switch between for good replay, though I mostly stick to Sadler and his broad sword swing; funky diorama manual art with the added bonus of the JP version art on the back cover; less ridiculously long maze/door/hallway sequences; and Rumi lives!

The Bad:  just as short as the first; more WD "wit" (poopy boy, really?); all caps in text boxes; iffy hit detection and screen scroll is much too close to the screen edge, leading to no reaction time and cheap hits; loss of the overworld map, making the game even more linear than the first; and beginning is spelled with three n's - you got it right in the first game, dammit.

The Ugly:  It's only ugly without the patch, where you'll be hacking away at every enemy for far too long.

Gypsy

Yeah those early WD releases were really bad with the added jokes. It did kind of get better as they went.

PukeSter

Exile is a fun little game, and the genny port is almost as good. There was some kind of "future" section in the computer versions that wasn't in the remake.

The sequel looks nicer but NecroPhile I agree, the loss of the map is a loss.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: PukeSter on 01/30/2018, 06:59 PMThere was some kind of "future" section in the computer versions that wasn't in the remake.
I wish they kept it. It could have made the game much more memorable.

IMG IMG
IMG

NecroPhile

I forgot to mention how the main antagonist in WP made me think of Trump -

1.  His name is Do-Tar (dotard).
2.  He's a product of generations of anger, sadness, hate, jealousy, and despair.
3.  Those that submit to the inescapable power of his hate live without worry.  His followers fear nothing.

xcrement5x

Quote from: NecroPhile on 01/31/2018, 10:23 AMI forgot to mention how the main antagonist in WP made me think of Trump -

1.  His name is Do-Tar (dotard).
2.  He's a product of generations of anger, sadness, hate, jealousy, and despair.
3.  Those that submit to the inescapable power of his hate live without worry.  His followers fear nothing.
Wow, does he also work in real estate 'cause that would knock it out of the park!
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

NecroPhile

Clear #89 - Space Adventure Cobra

IMG

This is one weird game.  Ever been chased by a t-rex, hatched a baby dragon, and been eaten by a giant shark shaped spaceship and pooped back out in an escape pod?  It's all in a day's work for our hero.

The Good:  it's filled with crazy scenarios and freaky people, all of which are nicely drawn, detailed, and colorful; the scenes are mostly static, but they change regularly so you're not stuck looking at the same pic for long; lots of scantily clad ladies, some even topless; mostly good tunes, particularly the end credits track (it coulda been an Exile tune); 'tis fairly linear and easy to make progress in even if you don't read moonrunes, though I had to hit up Duomazov for the one numeric code sequence; and it's impossible to get a game over, letting you get through each clinch point using trial and error.

The Bad:  a few tunes are bland and/or grating; the pictures don't do as good of a job telling the story as some other digi-comics, so I didn't follow the story very well; and there's a couple seizure inducing flicker shit screens right near the end.

The Ugly:  some of the scary peeps you meet.

Mathius

^^I need to get with it and start playing this series. I've had a loose copy of the 2nd game for eons but haven't played it much since my OCD demands I play the 1st one, um, first. A cheap copy will come my way one day.

CrackTiger

The Sega-CD version is a great port with an amazing localization.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Mathius

Quote from: CrackTiger on 02/14/2018, 08:38 PMThe Sega-CD version is a great port with an amazing localization.
I'd love to play it one day. Super expensive though and I rarely emulate. I've been keeping my eye out for a nice bootleg since owning real copies isn't a top priority

Gypsy

Quote from: CrackTiger on 02/14/2018, 08:38 PMThe Sega-CD version is a great port with an amazing localization.
This is on my to play list this year. Probably after my current JRPG binge.

crazydean

Quote from: Mathius on 02/14/2018, 09:57 PM
I'd love to play it one day. Super expensive though and I rarely emulate. I've been keeping my eye out for a nice bootleg since owning real copies isn't a top priority
Rumor has it that the Sega CD will play burned copies. Shhh....don't tell anyone.

seieienbu

Quote from: crazydean on 02/14/2018, 11:13 PMRumor has it that the Sega CD will play burned copies. Shhh....don't tell anyone.
What great idea will Feka steal from the Turbo next!?

NecroPhile

Quote from: Mathius on 02/14/2018, 07:00 PM^^I need to get with it and start playing this series. I've had a loose copy of the 2nd game for eons but haven't played it much since my OCD demands I play the 1st one, um, first. A cheap copy will come my way one day.
Dooo eeeet! :mrgreen:

That's the second game, which is next up to bat.  I'm thinking of playing both versions and seeing how they compare.

Gypsy

Well that's kind of silly. Too bad the first one hasn't been translated.

Mathius

Quote from: crazydean on 02/14/2018, 11:13 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 02/14/2018, 09:57 PM
Rumor has it that the Sega CD will play burned copies. Shhh....don't tell anyone.
I know lol. I've never successfully burnt one yet. The learnage will come to me one day.

NightWolve

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 01/18/2018, 06:26 PMIMG
Haha, tin-foil hat on-the-fly conspiracy generation!

NecroPhile

Clear #90 - Space Adventure Cobra II

IMG

More out of this world weirdness.  :mrgreen:

It's very similar to the first game, so I'll mostly cover what's changed -

The Good:  visuals are improved, with larger images (often full screen) and more animation, and more interactivity with timed events and turn based battles.

The Bad:  even more ugly flicker and rapid color cycling, and there's a couple annoying sequences that you have to play through with an alarm braying.

The Ugly:  NA

Mathius

seieienbu

Quote from: NecroPhile on 02/15/2018, 09:32 AMThat's the second game, which is next up to bat.  I'm thinking of playing both versions and seeing how they compare.
So, have you played the Feka CD one yet?

NecroPhile

Quote from: Mathius on 04/05/2018, 05:33 PMHow's the tunes?
They're okay but nothing you'll be whistling in the shower later.  :-"

Quote from: seieienbu on 04/05/2018, 05:57 PMSo, have you played the Feka CD one yet?
Not yet.  I started playing Moonlight Witch on PSP, so maybe after that one.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: NecroPhile on 04/06/2018, 09:27 AM
Quote from: Mathius on 04/05/2018, 05:33 PMHow's the tunes?
They're okay but nothing you'll be whistling in the shower later.  :-"

Quote from: seieienbu on 04/05/2018, 05:57 PMSo, have you played the Feka CD one yet?
Not yet.  I started playing Moonlight Witch on PSP, so maybe after that one.
The English version I assume?  I think I enjoyed that the most of the Gagharv trilogy, though I think Song of the Ocean has the least amount of engrish in it.
IMG

NecroPhile

Yep, the US version on my PSP Go so I can pretend it's a console.

So far I'm enjoying myself, but I can see why some peeps would be turned off, as there's an awful lot of dialog and running around to talk to different people.  It feels like it's half rpg and half digi-comic, plus the battles themselves are rather slow and boring.