RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Questions about PC Engine-TurboGrafx converters and I need your expert advice.

Started by Gdvsevl, 11/13/2013, 09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gdvsevl

Hey guys, I need your help. I really want to pick up a converter to play Japanese HuCards on my TurboGrafx. Is one particular converter better than another? Also, can you use the converter in a TurboDuo? My last question, if you can use one in a TurboDuo, would it also work with the Arcade Card Duo? I would really appreciate any help you guys can offer me, thanks guys.

PunkCryborg

I'd recommend getting your system modded rather than using a converter. The converters make the hu card slot loose and are too expensive. There are several modders on here who can perform the mode for you.

Gdvsevl

I also have a SuperGrafx. Is it possible to mod that to play US games?

BlueBMW

Both are possible, though it might be a little redundant to mod both systems.  Which one do you have a CD add on for?
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Gdvsevl

BlueBMW

In my opinion, I'd probably leave the Supergrafx alone as far as a mod goes.  They're less common and a little harder to do a CD add on with so I'd guess in the end you probably wont use it as your primary play system.  Modding the TG16 is an option, but again finding a CD add on for it can be a little tricky too.

If you have both the TG16 and Supergrafx then can you not already play all the hucard games?

For the price of one of the converter board / adapters you can nearly afford a good PC Engine Duo R system.  If your goal is to play games, I'd highly recommend you seek out a Duo R or RX system, have it modded and use it as your main play system.  In the end you will probably be most satisfied with it.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Gdvsevl

I'm hoping to have a TG-16 cd attachment by this weekend. A friend of mine is selling me his. It's the cd attachment, docking bay, cd system card and hookups for $125. I've been keeping an eye on the PC Engine Duo-R on Ebay. But I would rather not import one from Japan.