10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

What PC-Engine Stuff did you get today?

Started by Shadow, 04/03/2013, 09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmperorIng

More expensive than most PCE shmups. But not triple digits. Cotton 2 as well, which is a shame, but this is the fate of all Sega Saturn shmups.

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

vmorr

/fu6wx1.jpg

Boarded the Castlevania train today.

o.pwuaioc

Gredler

Bardoly

Quote from: vmorr on 09/02/2015, 05:16 PMBoarded the Castlevania train today.
Very nice!  Enjoy playing through it.  You got it just in time for this week's Game of the Week!

SamIAm

esteban

tknjin

Those are some lovely magazines you got there.

xcrement5x

Your secret is safe, now do more out loud reading videos!
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

EmperorIng

I won a copy of Xanadu 2 for $2 and it arrived. I will now follow the translation thread with heightened interest.

I've only moved around a few opening maps (no boss fights yet), and it's ok. Doesn't feel as polished as Ys.

johnnykonami

Quote from: SamIAm on 09/07/2015, 04:23 AMNobody tell my wife.

IMG
Sweet mags!  I have one issue (the Monster Maker one) from a while back but always wanted to get more.  Mad jelly.

johnnykonami

I just went nuts on ebay and bid on a bunch of stuff I've been wanting.  With any luck I'll be posting some pics here soon!

SamIAm

Quote from: EmperorIng on 09/11/2015, 06:09 PMI won a copy of Xanadu 2 for $2 and it arrived. I will now follow the translation thread with heightened interest.

I've only moved around a few opening maps (no boss fights yet), and it's ok. Doesn't feel as polished as Ys.
$2!? Good grief, that's cheap! Did it come in good condition with a spinecard?

I actually think Xanadu II is more polished than YsIV, but you'll have to judge for yourself. :)

Quote from: guest on 09/11/2015, 03:37 PMYour secret is safe, now do more out loud reading videos!
I was afraid nobody was really listening to that, so thanks!

There are some very interesting plans in the works...you'll find out much more in another week or two. :D

EmperorIng

Well the shipping was $5  :wink: And all in all it came in good condition. I'm glad too since I didn't really want to pay $18 or w/e the current going rate is.

I think I will have to look up a faq to make it to someplace exciting, like a dungeon. At the very least, everything is fairly easy and clear to understand (though some of the menu options confuse me).

CrackTiger

Quote from: EmperorIng on 09/12/2015, 01:21 AMWell the shipping was $5  :wink: And all in all it came in good condition. I'm glad too since I didn't really want to pay $18 or w/e the current going rate is.

I think I will have to look up a faq to make it to someplace exciting, like a dungeon. At the very least, everything is fairly easy and clear to understand (though some of the menu options confuse me).
https://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/misc/loxiiguide.txt
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

gheebee

Waiting on a few things but I got a copy of Street Fighter II today. Even with the regular controller I think I prefer this to the Genesis version, which I'd play with a 6 button controller. Kind of kills me how they messed up a couple of the character names though...

SamIAm

IMG

You know what I also bought?

A scanner.

pulstar

Quote from: gheebee on 09/12/2015, 02:25 PMKind of kills me how they messed up a couple of the character names though...
How so? You mean M. Bison being Vega, Vega being Balrog and Balrog being M. Bison? If so, that's the standard Japanese names for the characters...if not, I've never noticed anything wrong (admittedly I haven't played it too much)?
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

gheebee

Quote from: pulstar on 09/13/2015, 08:39 AMHow so? You mean M. Bison being Vega, Vega being Balrog and Balrog being M. Bison? If so, that's the standard Japanese names for the characters...if not, I've never noticed anything wrong (admittedly I haven't played it too much)?
Yeah, that is what I meant. Had no idea about the naming differences in Japan!

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: gheebee on 09/13/2015, 01:48 PM
Quote from: pulstar on 09/13/2015, 08:39 AMHow so? You mean M. Bison being Vega, Vega being Balrog and Balrog being M. Bison? If so, that's the standard Japanese names for the characters...if not, I've never noticed anything wrong (admittedly I haven't played it too much)?
Yeah, that is what I meant. Had no idea about the naming differences in Japan!
Balrog was M. Bison at first as a play on Mike Tyson, but threat of lawsuit led them to change it for the international release. And anyway, Vega doesn't look much like a Balrog, nor does M. Bison seem to fit the name Vega, which has a Spanish tinge to it. We got the better names, imo.

gheebee

Quote from: guest on 09/13/2015, 02:02 PMAnd anyway, Vega doesn't look much like a Balrog, nor does M. Bison seem to fit the name Vega, which has a Spanish tinge to it. We got the better names, imo.
That's exactly why I just assumed they messed up!

Today I got a turbo tap even though it probably won't get much use and a Hori Fighting Commander which has already gotten a bit of use with this game.

NightWolve

Quote from: EmperorIng on 09/12/2015, 01:21 AMWell the shipping was $5  :wink: And all in all it came in good condition. I'm glad too since I didn't really want to pay $18 or w/e the current going rate is.

Alright, just made an offer for one to a Japanese seller myself! I have the first one, time to secure a copy of the sequel with an English patch in mind some day and to satisfy my general inclination to collect things of Falcom. :)

bawitback

IMG

Kaze No Densetsu Xanadu (風の伝説ザナドゥ) - PCE-SCD²
Fray In Magical Adventure (FRAY CD ~Xak外伝~) - PCE-SCD²
IMG
|| Use your Special Attack ||

johnnykonami

IMG

Finally!  Props to DrOrangeJuicer for the great price.

mackdanger

It was actually a couple of days ago but I snatched this one up:

Tora-he-no-Michi-case.webp
Check out "Skill Sets" my 1CC / No Death video series:
https://www.youtube.com/user/richardgalactic

johnnykonami

Quote from: mackdanger on 09/22/2015, 10:30 PMIt was actually a couple of days ago but I snatched this one up:
Tora-he-no-Michi-case.webp
Must be a bootleg, here's what the real cover art looks like:

IMG
IMG

Just kidding!  Nice pickup!  I think I'd rather have the PCE version myself.

mackdanger

Quote from: johnnykonami on 09/22/2015, 11:40 PMMust be a bootleg, here's what the real cover art looks like:

IMG

Just kidding!  Nice pickup!  I think I'd rather have the PCE version myself.
Oh wow. They really did a number on a lot of the cover art didn't they? dude doesn't even look like a proper monk anymore.
Check out "Skill Sets" my 1CC / No Death video series:
https://www.youtube.com/user/richardgalactic

johnnykonami

I know, it's amazing right?  I wish I could find out more about the TG-16 cover artists.  I haven't even done a proper search here, I should probably start with that I guess - maybe it's already been discussed a ton.  But I honestly would be interested (and not to shame them or anything) just as a piece of history.  Maybe find out some of the different reasons why they changed some of them besides licensing or "too Japanese" for the west.  I'm sure there's some interesting censorship stories.  If someone put out a book containing all of the North American release cover art in high definition, I would totally buy it.  Guess maybe sometime after Art of Sierra comes out or someone decides to do a book with Atari 2600 Cartridge Art...

esteban

Quote from: johnnykonami on 09/23/2015, 11:19 PMI know, it's amazing right?  I wish I could find out more about the TG-16 cover artists.  I haven't even done a proper search here, I should probably start with that I guess - maybe it's already been discussed a ton.  But I honestly would be interested (and not to shame them or anything) just as a piece of history.  Maybe find out some of the different reasons why they changed some of them besides licensing or "too Japanese" for the west.  I'm sure there's some interesting censorship stories.  If someone put out a book containing all of the North American release cover art in high definition, I would totally buy it.  Guess maybe sometime after Art of Sierra comes out or someone decides to do a book with Atari 2600 Cartridge Art...
We are in the minority, but, yes, I would love to know more about the artists (and the process for creating the art, relationship with/direction from NEC) and I would LOVE to have original prints (or reproductions).

gheebee

Bomberman '93 just showed up in the mail. Probably my last purchase for while but I'm looking forward to hopefully getting a multiplayer game going with my friend over the weekend.

johnnykonami

Quote from: esteban on 09/24/2015, 06:20 AM
Quote from: johnnykonami on 09/23/2015, 11:19 PMI know, it's amazing right?  I wish I could find out more about the TG-16 cover artists.  I haven't even done a proper search here, I should probably start with that I guess - maybe it's already been discussed a ton.  But I honestly would be interested (and not to shame them or anything) just as a piece of history.  Maybe find out some of the different reasons why they changed some of them besides licensing or "too Japanese" for the west.  I'm sure there's some interesting censorship stories.  If someone put out a book containing all of the North American release cover art in high definition, I would totally buy it.  Guess maybe sometime after Art of Sierra comes out or someone decides to do a book with Atari 2600 Cartridge Art...
We are in the minority, but, yes, I would love to know more about the artists (and the process for creating the art, relationship with/direction from NEC) and I would LOVE to have original prints (or reproductions).
Definitely.  I'm not hailing them as masterpieces, of course - but it's something I spent a great deal of my time looking at in my childhood and that I have a fondness for one way or the other.  I have a Sega artbook which is filled with artwork from the 80s and 90s that is both amazing and laughable (usually not at the same time) and it's all just a joy to look at.  The Phantasy Star 2 art is incredible while the belabored Golden Axe III art tries on it's hardest Boris Vallejo impersonation, but it always gives me a smile.

schweaty

not so much a 'get', but i made a little PAC Rack.  #laseractive

/RxTM1ct.jpg

NightWolve

From the other Buy thread:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311442893537
IMG
IMG

I couldn't buy Legend of Xanadu II for $15 bucks by itself from HitJapan as someone competed with me in the auction, but then right after I saw another listing for both games with a Make Offer option, I tried for $16 total which was accepted. :) I'm guessing condition will be a factor, but whatever, I'll see.

Also, I might just raffle the extra copy of Legend of Xanadu I that I bought from BlueBMW some day since this buy leaves me with 2 copies... Will just pick the best case, manual, CD, etc. and get rid of what's left. :/

IMG

ebay.com/itm/361288093846

Gulliver Boy. I lost an auction as a sniper came in at the last second. It got bid up to $15.50 as a result. But HitJapan also had 2 other copies with Make Offer, so using that final winning bid, I offered $15.50, but it was rejected... I looked some more, found their other Make Offer listing, I try $15, and they accepted it (maybe it's not as good in condition)! Hah, weird. So yeah, scored it at $15 flat with S/H. They wanted $19 total.

IMG

xcrement5x

Quote from: schweaty on 09/28/2015, 07:05 PMnot so much a 'get', but i made a little PAC Rack.  #laseractive

/RxTM1ct.jpg
That is very cool lookan~!
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

shawnji

Sweet on getting LoX and Gulliver Boy, NightWolve!

I'm stoked because of something that's kind of stupid and awesome at the same time. 

The stupid part is that I just realized today that I still had over $100 sitting in my PayPal account, because I'm a dummy and forgot to transfer the money to my bank account during the hustle and bustle of my big move a few months ago.

The good part is that I used a portion of that to finally get myself a copy of Popful Mail!  I'm in the minority camp that prefers the PCE version to the Mega CD, so I'm completely stoked for it to get here.  I was never able to finish it through slightly dubious means due to a bad rip, so now I'll finally get a chance to get to the end and not have the cutscenes be all screwed up!  I'll take some pics when it gets here.

I also finally got myself a US version of Ys Books I&II, which means I now own that, the Japanese version, the JP PSN store version, and the US Wii Virtual Console version.  Hooray for poor financial decisions!

esteban

johnnykonami

IMG

The two Ranma games are among the dingiest cases I have, manuals and discs seem to be in good shape though.  Worth trying to clean the jewel cases?

NecroPhile

If it's really just dirt, a little alcohol will usually clean 'em right up.  If it's yellowed from UV as I suspect, however, they'll be clean but still look dingy unless you whiten 'em up with some peroxide.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

johnnykonami

I think it might be from smoking, possibly.  I am worried about destroying stuff with chemicals, I tried to get a sticker off of one of them today with some goo gone and it just made it a hundred times worse.  I chucked the plastic cover of the jewel case and swapped with it another, and I'm gonna buy some replacement jewel cases in the next day or so to at least swap the tops.

Psycho Punch

Goo gone eats plastic away iirc? It won't hurt to try some "retrobright" on it unless you can find white jewel cases easily.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

schweaty

Goo gone absolutely does NOT eat plastic.  Goof Off, however, shouldnt get anywhere near plastic.  It even says so on the bottle.  Goo gone=good  Goof Off=very bad

johnnykonami

It mighta been Goof off, I have to check it again.  I thought it was just lighter fluid basically.. anyway, no big deal, I had removed the plastic case cover separately, it wasn't in that great of condition to begin with.  The manual, cd, insert, etc. were nowhere nearby and are safe.  Just gonna replace it with a generic jewel case cover.

vmorr

Goo Gone is like my secret weapon. Slap that shit on everything. I just scrubbed my whole copy of Rule of Rose (PS2) with it, was a previous rental. Does a good job of getting label residue off paper without taking the ink with it. Looks a lot better now.

bawitback

IMG
L-Dis and Bakusho Yoshimoto no Shinkigeki off ebay for a good price (only bid)
IMG
|| Use your Special Attack ||

NightWolve

Good ole L-Dis. I still remember when I bought a new copy and popped it in for a spin right away, 'twas a good time for us shooter fans. :)

johnnykonami

Quote from: johnnykonami on 10/05/2015, 10:14 PMIt mighta been Goof off, I have to check it again.  I thought it was just lighter fluid basically.. anyway, no big deal, I had removed the plastic case cover separately, it wasn't in that great of condition to begin with.  The manual, cd, insert, etc. were nowhere nearby and are safe.  Just gonna replace it with a generic jewel case cover.
It was indeed goof off, I will be more careful next time - the name is so similar sounding to goo gone...  Can someone give me some foolproof instructions on how to clean the white trays?  Just dish soap and water first maybe?   If I need peroxide or IPA or whatever, exactly what kind do I buy?  I will end up replacing the standard jewel case parts entirely.

Quote from: vmorr on 10/06/2015, 12:45 AMGoo Gone is like my secret weapon. Slap that shit on everything. I just scrubbed my whole copy of Rule of Rose (PS2) with it, was a previous rental. Does a good job of getting label residue off paper without taking the ink with it. Looks a lot better now.
You can put goo gone on paper???  That sounds scary.

Quote from: bawitback on 10/06/2015, 02:17 AML-Dis and Bakusho Yoshimoto no Shinkigeki off ebay for a good price (only bid)
Yoshimoto is a lot of fun, I picked it up from NCSX back in the day.  I love a good wacky platformer with a lot of variety.  Not familiar with the comedians its based off of though.

LostFlunky

For the white plastic trays use a bit of windex on a piece of magic eraser. They will look like new.

WoodyXP

Just picked up Bazaru de Gozaru.  Been trying to track it down for the longest time.
"I bathe in AES carts."

schweaty

Put the tray in a zip lock back.  Fill the bag with hydrogen peroxide.  Put it in the sun for a day or two (must be direct sunlight ).  Should be back to new