RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Super Star Soldier Vs Final Soldier - which game is better?

Started by Otaking, 10/20/2013, 02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Super Star Soldier or Final Soldier which game is better?

Super Star Soldier
Final Soldier

Otaking

Super Star Soldier or Final Soldier which game is better?

Super Star Soldier gets my vote, I prefer the graphics and gameplay. Final Soldier I find a little too short and too easy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

CrackTiger

Final Soldier's soundtrack is more enjoyable to listen to than either game is to play.

Plus it comes with an entire game.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

PunkCryborg

Final Soldier all the way. SSS is annoying to me, I usually stop playing it after a while while FS is fun (though a little easy) and stays interesting. Yeah I love the music too!

esteban

I enjoy both games. I have to think about it some more before I decide.

The problem: I've never played these two back-to-back, which is the fairest way to judge them.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

turboswimbz

I had to go FS.  I just enjoy it more, although to be fair I haven't completed either yet.  But I've come back to try more with FS.

Hmmmmmmm I have an itching to play FS now.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Tatsujin

I personally was a bit dissapointed of FS, after playing SSS so much bitd. Especially the weaponry feels kinda weak and cheap compared, tho the music is superior in FS.

So for me it's SSS for most of the parts.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

roflmao

SSS is definitely the more challenging game.  I think similar to the last poll (MC vs Cotton) one game appeals to the hardcore shooter fans (SSS) and the other appeals to general gamers (Final Soldier).  I fall into the second group.

Gogan

SSS for me. But then again, I bought SSS when I was 12. Bought FS when I was 25. So there's that
Nothin beats the real thing.

psychobear

Final Soldier for me, always gets more play then SSS

esteban

SUPER STAR SOLDIER.

I've over-played this game (since it was released), but it is superior to Final Soldier (which I've played only for a few years).

Quote from: Gogan on 10/21/2013, 03:09 PMSSS for me. But then again, I bought SSS when I was 12. Bought FS when I was 25. So there's that
This is actually a valid point. I'm not even talking about "nostalgia", I'm talking about how the "freshness" of a game  ("new to you" feeling) can unfairly give an advantage to the "fresh" game...because the game you are more familiar with seems "overplayed" and "less exciting" (it offers fewer surprises).

Tatsujin

SSS just feels more solid. That is the best and simplest way i can explain its superiority.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Otaking

This versus battle isn't as close as Magical Chase and Cotton. SSS so far has double the votes of FS.
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

Tatsujin

which is obviously clear, since it is the better game :idea:

deubeul

FS is way too easy and graphicaly inferior to SSS. And i find it a little boring and flat, no vibes.

SSS is fantastic, 4th level is a turn,  rythme and difficulty become frenetic and don't stop rising till the hell of 8th stage. Best HuCard shooter for me.

turbokon

SSS definitely gets my vote. SSS is a better game for me, better music, better graphic and generally more funner:)
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

esteban

awack

I picked SSS, I had more fun playing it and I think it has better visuals and sound, I really like the sound in this game, the music that plays when your fighting the scorpion boss is awesome.

Otaking

So SSS takes the crown, no chance of FS making a come back it was slaughtered.  :lol:

geise

I waited a while to make a decision.  I played through both again this past week and I really have to go with SSS.  I love both so much it was hard to decide.  However playing back to back again SSS really is a more polished shooter.

NightWolve

"Super Star Soldier" is my all time favorite shooter for the system. Used to play it on my Express all the time. I tried "Final Soldier" on the MagicEngine emulator and I don't remember liking it as much. Same goes with "Soldier Blade."

YANDMAN

Final Soldier is much more accessible for a quick jaunt but why does it have those horrible fuzzy edged graphics it really annoys me that they did this with the programming, Super star soldier is much more hectic and requires much more concentration but its better presented and has much nicer and smoother gameplay, For me its almost impossible to chose as i see them as totally different play experiences.

Obfuscate

Both games are above average but neither are great. I picked SSS since it has a better challenge, beat that sucker for the first time ever last night!!

kiketonto

I can not leave my vote because I have no played any of them.
Why am I so pathetic playing shooters?

Otaking

Quote from: Obfuscate on 10/30/2013, 06:58 AMBoth games are above average but neither are great.
I personally would rank SSS as a "great" shooter.