Localization Legend "Supper the Subtitler" has "joined the club" in being targeted for CD-pressings by bootleg master Tobias/PCEWorks! His projects like Private Eyedol, Galaxy Fräulein Yuna 1 & 2, etc. are now being sold on Chinese factory-pressed CDROMs...
IMG
Main Menu
Menu

Show posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Show posts Menu

Messages - MegaManFan

#1
Quote from: guest on 01/26/2018, 06:16 PMNah, you ain't dumb.  Unless the disc were scratched to fook (I know you said it wasn't), I would've assumed it was the system too.

I use CDRs in my RX all the time.  As long as your system reads them without struggling (super long load times, stops playing redbook tracks until next reload, has to reseek multiple times), there's no damage being done to your system; you're asking for trouble, however, if you ignore the warning signs.
Cool. I'll look up the directions for how to create a proper image to burn (every system seems to have its own 'do it like this' set of steps) and see if that one works compared to the one I have. At least I'm 100% sure now that it's the game and not the system because nothing else has caused the slightest issue that I've tried. My only other problem now is I need to find my "PCE to TG16" card converter again so I can play my import HuCards!
#2
Quote from: guest on 01/26/2018, 04:00 PMHe may not have given them a penny, but after being asked to stop by fan project authors, he was generous enough to offer $1 per unit actually sold (not the freebees)... but only if they signed a contract giving him full rights to do what he wanted with them.
Wow, just wow. He demanded a contract for unlimited rights AFTER using other people's work without permission. So thoughtful!  :roll:

QuoteAs he explained, he only does this for the love of it and doesn't make any money. So the $1 per unit would be coming out of his own pockect.
Have you seen the prices on PCE Works? If he's not making money that's only because he's throwing in three packets of hard drugs with each unit sold.
#3
Quote from: guest on 01/26/2018, 03:58 PMYou coulda sent the disc to Keith so he could test it in other systems he has laying about, but that ship has sailed.
Yeah I'm a dummy. I should have sent that disc to him, but I was so sure it was the system, I didn't even think it was necessary. And by his account, all of the caps in my system were beyond gone, and given the age I'm not surprised. It's not like my TurboExpress worked before he replaced the caps in that too. :D

QuoteWill your Duo play CDRs?  If so you can test a burn and see if it works okay, or you could send the offending disc off to someone else to see if it'll play in their system.
I've never actually tried burning a disc for my TurboDuo, but if ever there was a time, this might be the one. If a burned copy of Sherlock Holmes is better than the original I'll just swap them out in the case. Question - does using CDRs cause any harm to the laser head? I've been warned off using burned discs in my Dreamcast for that very reason.

Quote from: Keith CourageI can't remember for sure but I remember years back I had a regular TurboGrafx CD system that would not work with one of the Sherlock Holmes games I had. I can't remember if I was able to get it to work by making a copy of the disc or if maybe I had to format the internal CD memory.
For all I know it might be related to the internal memory too, but I can always start with a burned disc to eliminate that variable, provided it's safe to use them in a Duo. I'd hate to mess it up after all the good work you just did!
#4
Quote from: tbone3969 on 10/24/2017, 12:25 PMKeith Courage is a great repair man.  I highly recommend him.
Keith does indeed do great work! I got my Turbo Duo and Express back today, and my Express powered on for the first time in years. Words can't express (yuk yuk) how grateful I was to kick back in my recliner and play Devils Crush right in front of eyes. I will undoubtedly be showing the thing off to people any chance I get. Now as for the Duo, I had an amusing update to share, which I told our repair guru I'd post here.

First and foremost, I can tell recapping the system has made it work 1000% better. Even in smaller imperceptible ways that I'm probably imagining as much as seeing, I feel like the sound is crisper and the video is better. Now here's the funny part. When I first came looking because I was having issues the game that was causing me all the trouble was Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective. Now when I got the system back today, I put four disc based games in the system both US and import to make sure it was all good. Riot Zone? No problem. Super Darius? No problem. Y's I & II? No problem. Guess which one doesn't work still?

SHERLOCK FREAKING HOLMES.

At this point I can only conclude that either (1.) The eBay seller sent me a jank disc, even though I can't see any obvious scratches or (2.) The game is just so poorly designed that it can't handle the FMV in it. I'm not sure which is the case but I'd be happy to solicit opinions because at this point the glitching audio and video isn't my system and definitely isn't Keith's work, because EVERYTHING other than Sherlock works just fine.
#5
Quote from: seieienbu on 01/25/2018, 07:26 PMI feel like I just wrote a post like this recently.  I have no problem with piracy or bootlegs.  I wish that somebody that wasn't PCE Works was making them.  What I have a problem is outright counterfeiting like Tobias did with the first batch of Sapphire games he was selling for what, like $450 apiece?  I also have a problem with him stealing work from people who are currently active in the Turbo/PCE community that don't want their works profited from.
I think that's the part that bothered me the most. As a Mega Man fan I was excited when I saw there was a Rockman game on PCE Works (which I knew had to be homebrew because none came out in the console's original era) but once I started checking around I saw that he had taken the programmer's work without his permission, slapped it on a disc, and printed up packaging to make it look like an official, legit, finalized game. That's unfair to the programmer, unlicensed by Capcom, and f---ing shady as all hell. I'd happily sample his work on a Flashcart but I'm not shelling out $100+ when I know that the programmer and the rights owners don't get a penny and furthermore don't even want it being sold in the first place. What garbage.
#6
Quote from: tbone3969 on 01/25/2018, 05:02 PMBut they come with energy drinks.
I could reprint a Mega Man and throw in an energy drink from Boston America and call it a limited edition too BUT I'm not a scumbag like Tobias (is that the guy's name?) is. :D
#7
Just thought I'd update this thread to say I finally got my Turbo Duo and Express boxed up and sent to Keith Courage last week. He's already finished both and sent them back to me, so I'm now watching the mailman like a hawk. (One time he took two packages marked "FRAGILE" and "DO NOT BEND" and tossed them OVER THE RAILING onto my front step.) Reasonable prices for the work especially given I can't do it myself and it's sure cheaper than buying both on eBay... that would probably need to be recapped themselves anyway! :D
#8
I immediately came here to see what the community reaction to PCE Works was/is and the first thread I found had some COLORFUL language. Needless to say I'm now well informed that he's a pirate bootlegger who is by no means selling licensed versions of games, none of which is mentioned on the PCE Works site. That's a shame too because with the success of companies like Limited Run, you'd think somebody could OFFICIALLY license some of the rare, OOP, hard to find PC Engine/TG-16/Turbo Duo games. There are about 10 that go for more than $200 each I'll probably never own. Sure you can emulate, but that's just not as satisfying as playing it on your own console with a controller in your hand.

PS: MLIG should +REALLY+ do an update to that video. They obviously had no idea of the controversy of PCE Works - nor did I before I watched it and came here to investigate.
#9
Thanks everyone. I'm going to follow up with Keith since he already sent me a PM. :)
#10
Hello from the new guy! I got a recommendation from AtariAge to check this place out as I have a TurboDuo that's acting up and it's beyond my technical expertise to fix. Seriously it took me over an hour just to assemble an Atari 2600 homebrew cart correctly, so if I tried to fix my TD myself I might completely wreck the poor thing. Anyway...

What's happening is the CD drive doesn't appear to spin up to speed. It can load a game just fine, but once it loads, it won't access sections promptly or the audio will stick on repeat and eventually fail (example: Sherlock Holmes). Therefore I get the feeling the drive and/or something else inside it is failing due to old age. It works perfectly fine otherwise - card games play normally as do PC-Engine games (using an adapter).

I'm told if I need help getting it repaired you guys know your stuff and or can recommend someone reliable. I don't want to take it to the local "retro stores" where I live because they don't get or see anything like this. 90% of their repair work is PlayStations and Xboxes so I just wouldn't trust them with something this far outside of their expertise.