12/06/2023: Localization News - Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria!!!

OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu
Menu

Show posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Show posts Menu

Messages - Sumez

#1
Buy/Sell/Trade / WTB: Pop'n Magic
04/22/2013, 03:01 AM
Just saw one pop up on eBay for $50 shipped - really tempted to take it, but I figured someone in here could probably beat that price, so hit me up if you got one you want to let go! :)

minimum CIB, don't care about spine and useless registrations cards or whatever.
#2
Yeah, it's a CoreGrafx (as mentioned in the first post :))
It's a model 1 (blue logo)
#3
Ok this doesn't make sense to me anyway now... I just tried playing a CD game with the AV cable plugged directly into the normal DIN plug, rather than the RCA plugs of the IFU, and the CD audio plays just fine, so I don't see why an RGB mod in the PC Engine unit itself shouldn't be able to take the audio from the exact same source without any problmes.
#4
Good point! I didn't even think of that.
I'll have to make a custom RGB cable anyway, so I guess I'll have to mix an RCA plug into it for the audio input
#5
Another stupid newbie question from me, I think - but once again I (strangely) couldn't find the answer anywhere else. :)

Most RGB mods on PC Engines I've seen were made in the interface unit itself. Which makes sense I guess, since this is the one you usually hook up to your TV set, but I'd like to be able to detach my PC Engine (coregrafx) unit when just playing a HuCard game, and still make use of the same mod.

Is there any reason not to make a RGB AV output directly on the PC Engine unit in an area that's still accessible while it's plugged into the IFU, and use this when playing CD-ROM games as well? I assume it would still work, or..?
#7
Quote from: thesteve on 03/18/2012, 07:57 PMhere in the US we dont bother with the stepdown converters 120V 100V close enough
Yeah, you have that advantage. :)
I don't think finding a proper 230v substitute should be much of a problem though, but all my Nintendo adapters output AC, and the Sega ones are center positive.
#8
I thought so too! :)
Actually the problem was with the stepdown converter I was using, I thought it was the one I had always been using for my PC Engine.
#9
Wow, seems the problem wasn't with the drive or interface unit at all. It was the power supply that was unable to supply enough power for both the CD unit and PC Engine unit at the same time. Was a pretty easy and stupid fix, too.

But thank you guys for directing me away from the drive itself as the source of the problem! :)

I am finally able to play PC Engine CD games again, amazing!
#10
I've been trying to search around for similar problems, but it's difficult to find out exactly where to look for someone with the same problem.

Anyway I recently replaced the broken gear in my CD-ROM2 unit with this one, and that solution works just fine (I can't recommend it enough), if I just plug the power into drive and put headphones into the Line Out plug in the back, I can play an audio CDs, and all the audio tracks from a PCE game, with no problems at all.

However, once I plug it into my Interface Unit, and try reading game data through it, it's as if the drive isn't even able to spin the disc. When I press the "Run" button, it just starts loading, and the CD drive displays "PC" like it should, but the drive is only able to spin the disc for a couple of millimeters before stopping and trying again, going into a constant "stutter". I could try to record it, but I think you get what I mean.

I think this problem might have existed before messing with my gear repair (I remember being able to help loading get going by tapping/hitting the drive on the side), but it might also be related to me messing with the insides of the unit - I tried messing a little with the pot meters, but I'm not sure what each of them do, so I won't go too far from the current configuration which plays audio tracks fine, after all.

I can actually make the disc spin by opening the lid, giving it a spin manually, and then quickly closing the lid to push the Run button. It's not helping the game load, though.
#11
Just popping in for the latest developments in this issue/fix.
First let me say that I think it's beyond awesome that as late as 2011, there are people willing fix an issue with this age old hardware (we're talking the very first disc based console here :)). I haven't been able to play my PC Engine CD-ROM games for several years, and I seriously miss them. I actually passed up on buying Nexzr for a decent price because I wasn't sure I'd ever be able to play it.

A friend helped me pinpoint the issue a couple of years ago, and there's really no doubt, once we found out that damned tiny rubber gear is missing a tooth. I'm amazed I was actually able to play a few seconds of CD audio despite this. At the time things were looking really grim, considering I probably wouldn't be able to find a replacement gear anywhere other than salvaging it from another CD-ROM2 unit, and buying a broken one of those, I bet there'd be a pretty big chance the problem was the same.
The same guy then discovered this forum thread, and it seriously made my day! Now we both want one of those replacement gears. :)

Reading through the thread, it seems the best fix is Keith or Chop's replacement gears? As far as I can tell, Keith's is able to speed up loading times, too? That does sound really sweet! I've sent you both a PM regarding it, hope you don't mind.
The belt solution looks very nice too, but I don't think I have the guts to modify my system that much. :)