10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu
Menu

Show posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Show posts Menu

Messages - Mercutio

#1
Quote from: cr8zykuban0 on 09/07/2015, 12:51 PMvery good deal in my opinion. if they're complete in box and not loose, even better
.......
#2
Quote from: BlueBMW on 08/30/2015, 03:20 AMI suppose I should pick up a slim and dump the OG model to some collectard.  I bought it new a few weeks after launch and I kind of hate to get rid of it but I just know its going to die sometime.
I eventually had to. I had so much cool stuff on my PS3 that I was just completely unable to use. Plus, my OG model couldn't even run Last of Us. Seriously, you'd load up a level and the models would pop into space and then nothing would happen. So weird. Despite its weird disc loading mechanism, the newer PS3 really is pretty good...
#3
I just did a re-run using only Richter myself. The last Games Done Quick had an awesome speedrun of it... they went into detail about how the boss of 5 is unpredictable and has no discernible tells. I knew he was tough, but figured there was some cheap way of dispatching him... I guess not!
#4
KeithCourage just did mine and it came out amazingly well. He's a great guy to deal with.
#5
Quote from: wilykat on 06/24/2015, 08:33 PMJust got back from a long 100+ miles drive to trade stuff.  It was cheaper to drive than to pack and ship a big Commodore 128D (some mod and JiffyDOS) and an RGB monitor.

What I got back from the trade was CIB TurboExpress, CIB AC adapter, and CIB car adapter. Those boxes are very nice shape, almost like it was just made this year and not 20 years ago.   :mrgreen: TE does have sound issue and will need recapping for sure.

 I'd post picture but 4 hours driving home while dealing with rush hour traffic that moved at snail pace (why its called rush when it's slow is beyond me) and I am tired.    :-&

update: picture links
https://i.imgur.com/895TWkU.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7NQ9Ihv.jpg
Man, that box nostalgias me so hard. I spent every waking moment of my childhood and teenage years wanting that thing. Now I have one, but no box... and probably never will have a box for it.
#6
Quote from: dangdang on 06/24/2015, 03:02 PMNice screen mod! Who did it?
Keith Courage did it.
#7
Quote from: Digi.k on 06/24/2015, 03:51 AMgot these today although ... technically the one on the left isn't pc engine but the music of early Ys, Dragon Slayer and Brandish might be pc e related?

608df246-da76-471d-aafd-9400333380c4.jpg
Just saw these over on GAF, too! I'm super curious about that music CD.

I just got my Keith Courage'd up Turbo Express back today!

IMG

The screen is such a massive improvement. I'm so glad to have this thing back; I'm in the middle of a very big city-to-city move and I won't have access to my Duo R or TurboGrafx16 for a few weeks.
#8
Magical Chase (JPN Ver, it's more colorful) by a long shot.

But Air Zonk and Ordyne are pretty good too. Coryoon is also fun.
#9
Quote from: Keith Courage on 06/04/2015, 02:27 AMGet a file and get to work. It's pretty time consuming. Or a small saw blade of sorts and then file afterwards to smooth things out. Very fine soldering will be needed to tap composite from the HU6260 chip. So be careful if you haven't soldered anything pins that small before.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/pcengine/express-gt-composite-t179.html
I'm so excited to have this mod done. I haven't had my TE long but MAN is it impossible to read text in a lot of games...

Question for folks though: how's the battery life improve after the screen is replaced ?
#10
Cool! Thanks, guys! I think it might come your way Keith, I haven't gotten anything back from Turbokon.
#11
Is there anyone on the forum who does this mod for hire? I've got a unit coming from a friend that has bad caps, and I'm really curious about having something like this done as well.
#12
PCE/TG-16|CD/SGX Discussion / Re: Intro
05/27/2015, 06:08 PM
Snag a copy of Blue Blink. It's inexpensive right now and it's super fun.
#13
Quote from: esteban on 05/15/2015, 01:55 PM
Quote from: guest on 05/15/2015, 12:21 PMNot long ago, Drac X was going for $75 for what seemed like s few years.

Radiant Silvergun is not rare at all and was very cheap during the 90's. Most EBs had several copies and they were sold for very little above the price of domestic games. Just like Sylphia, once the "shump!" sayers were told that these games were actually developed by teams who worked on famous schtroumpfs, they all suffered permanent brain damage and have employed gougers ever since.

Sylphia in particular is a game I talked about a lot and showed what I could of it, but most reactions were simply "meh" and the most it ever sold for was $30 - $40. For it to jump straight to $200 - $300 is as unnatural as it gets and the game is now a monument to collectardation.
I wish I bought Sylphia when I had a chance, back before the insanity.

I used to think $50-60 was way too much.

Ughhhhh.
Even the bootleg Sapphire goes for way too much now. Completely insane.
#14
Urg so awesome.

These never have bad caps, do they?
#15
Quote from: thesteve on 04/20/2015, 09:12 PMgot PCE LT
Jesus, that's a pretty big deal. Pictures! We all need pictures now.
#16
Quote from: Groover on 03/07/2015, 01:43 AMSo far this month. I just got in the mail.
IMG
So what's the deal with this thing? Does it have a battery that can die inside, or is it something else? I've got a Memory Base 128 but god that thing's a pain in the ass what with the batteries and the controller port plugging.
#17
Quote from: cr8zykuban0 on 04/20/2015, 03:27 PMYeah, you can't beat a good arcade stick. I've got this guy:


Which runs off of MC Cthulhu boards. Unfortunately, my Duo can't seem to power two at a time, so I can only use it in 1UP mode.
hot diggity! that is badass! where did you get that?

switching topics, i do own a duo r and love it. i was lucky to get mine cib and mint. it came with a mint duo rx controller which i think its a decent controller, also came with an everdrive and panic bomberman for 500 shipped. i would say 250 to 300 for a loose duo r is the going rate.[/quote]
I built it. It's got a Sanwa OOM-8-6AR-H arcade replacement part installed on an HSS-0130 Saturn stick, with MC-Cthulhu boards inside. On the rear, it has DB9 and RJ-45 jacks to connect to an assortment of systems.
#18
Quote from: cr8zykuban0 on 04/20/2015, 03:22 PM
Quote from: Mercutio on 04/20/2015, 11:11 AMI got a New In Box Fighting Commander PC today!
very nice! im sure people who aren't familiar with pc engine will mistake it for a snes controller
Crazy thing is, a used SFC version goes for more than a new in box PCE version!
#19
I got a New In Box Fighting Commander PC today!

IMG
#20
Quote from: cr8zykuban0 on 04/20/2015, 02:36 AM
Quote from: Mercutio on 04/14/2015, 04:06 PM
Quote from: cr8zykuban0 on 04/14/2015, 01:57 AMi just got my copy in. finally got this amazing game in my collection! but man those birds in the 2nd stage get on my fucking nerves! lol
Just hang onto the axe after you've used it on the Wyvern, and all will be well.
ditto! i was able to kill em all only getting hit once and made it to the 3rd stage but man that shit was hard. i'll use the axes next time
I think I only really use axes and holy water when I play through these days. A lot of the tricky flying enemies are perfectly aligned with the axe's path.
#21
Quote from: Pokun on 04/18/2015, 05:40 PMThanks, but I still want a Duo R or RX.

Quote from: Mercutio on 04/17/2015, 11:41 AM
Quote from: Pokun on 04/16/2015, 07:33 PMAlthough I prefer cross-buttons, when it comes to Street Fighter and other games where you need to hit a lot of diagonals fast, nothing really beats a good arcade stick. I use a Capcom Power Stick Fighter for Famicom and Super Famicom, but I would like to use it on my PC Engine as well.

Takahashi Meijin http://www.pipitan.com/cpsf.html is using a XHE-3 adapter in conjunction with a CPS->MSX adapter in order to use the CPS-Fighter on a PC Engine. I'm wondering if the buttons will be mapped correctly for Street Fighter and such though.
Yeah, you can't beat a good arcade stick. I've got this guy:


Which runs off of MC Cthulhu boards. Unfortunately, my Duo can't seem to power two at a time, so I can only use it in 1UP mode.
The CPS-Fighter is a good cheap alternative with real arcade parts, but it's still not using real buttons (although they have microswitches at least). That's a very nice arcade stick Mercutio. Too bad you can't use both sets of controllers though.
It's pretty fun for 1UP shooters, so that's good. Works on Saturn, NES, SNES, Genesis (with a padhack breakoutbox), and Neo Geo. Ah well! If I can find another HSS-0130 at the right price, I might make a dedicated PCE stick set.
#22
Quote from: guest on 04/18/2015, 05:07 AMCastlevania 2 on the GameBoy has decent gameplay. A little bit too slow, but fortunately the enemies are slowed down too, so there is a fair challenge. The first four levels can be beaten with ease. I haven't gotten past the fifth level, though.

The music is very good as usual for a Castlevania game, and one track got remixed for Castlevania Rebirth on the Wii.

I got mine with the EU-release of the Konami GB collection for the GameBoy Color.
The music in 2 is also awesome. But the first and third one are pretty lousy.
#23
Quote from: ShadowKitty777 on 04/17/2015, 05:28 PM
Quote from: esteban on 04/17/2015, 04:10 PMI, too, like Dracula XX and Castlevania IV, despite what naysayers may say :)

They are still fun. :)
I was surprised to read so much hate for the game when I was looking around at tags on other sites. I saw some people calling it the worst Castlevania. They didn't even specify they meant the SNES, but I would HOPE that's what they meant.....Even so, I don't think I'd consider it the worst. I always considered Simon's Quest to be the worst, but some people seem to like that one.
The worst Castlevanias are on the Gameboy. That first one is horrible. I regret the $1 or whatever I paid for it on the 3DS eShop when it was on sale.
#24
Quote from: Pokun on 04/16/2015, 07:33 PMAlthough I prefer cross-buttons, when it comes to Street Fighter and other games where you need to hit a lot of diagonals fast, nothing really beats a good arcade stick. I use a Capcom Power Stick Fighter for Famicom and Super Famicom, but I would like to use it on my PC Engine as well.

Takahashi Meijin http://www.pipitan.com/cpsf.html is using a XHE-3 adapter in conjunction with a CPS->MSX adapter in order to use the CPS-Fighter on a PC Engine. I'm wondering if the buttons will be mapped correctly for Street Fighter and such though.
Yeah, you can't beat a good arcade stick. I've got this guy:

IMG
IMG

Which runs off of MC Cthulhu boards. Unfortunately, my Duo can't seem to power two at a time, so I can only use it in 1UP mode.
#25
Quote from: guest on 04/16/2015, 09:55 AM
Quote from: seieienbu on 04/16/2015, 04:07 AMI honestly wonder what person is going to think "Finally.  Gamestop will buy all these old games that I never use.  Thank nicolas cage." 

Gamestop.  An absolutely reliable company that would never screw you over.
Well there are obviously folks giving this stuff up, because our local retro store is always well stocked.
My local retro game store owner goes to a lot of estate sales and buys whole collections from collectors who've decided to get out, mostly. Very little of what he stocks is from individuals who trade in only a game or two.
#26
Quote from: Gredler on 04/16/2015, 01:03 PM
Quote from: Mercutio on 04/16/2015, 12:35 PMThe only reason to go Duo R instead of Duo RX as far as I know is the yellowing of poorly cared for R systems. The RX doesn't seem to yellow. I bought my Duo R on Yahoo Auctions Japan complete in Box (and apparently unused, though that wasn't listed) for $220 about a year ago.

NIB Hori Commander PC controllers seem to go for around $45, and I've seen them in good shape for $35.
How do the Hori Commander PC controllers (2 button) compare to the Hori Fighting Commander PC (6 button). I like the look of the Fighting Commander pad, but will probably stick to the Avenue 6x2 for parody when playing with a whiny friend lol
I like them; they aren't necessarily worse or better than standard NEC pads. It's Hori during their glory years, so they're as good as 1st Party Nintendo. I personally find the rounded Hori DPad to be a little easier on the thumb during intense shooting games comparative to the NEC pad. If you're wild about the Nintendo D-Pad cross, they might be your favorite PC Engine option.

In general though, I personally prefer the Avenue Pad 3: the II and I button feel like they're in a more natural location as opposed to the 6 button options, and I love the ability to turn III into Run or Select depending on what I'm playing. Way more comfortable for the item crashes in Rondo of Blood. You can also assign Run to III and get a "slow-mo" pausing mode with its turbo switch, if that's your thing, I think. I've never bothered with that myself.
#27
The only reason to go Duo R instead of Duo RX as far as I know is the yellowing of poorly cared for R systems. The RX doesn't seem to yellow. I bought my Duo R on Yahoo Auctions Japan complete in Box (and apparently unused, though that wasn't listed) for $220 about a year ago.

NIB Hori Commander PC controllers seem to go for around $45, and I've seen them in good shape for $35.
#28
Quote from: guest on 04/14/2015, 04:16 PM
Quote from: Mercutio on 04/14/2015, 04:10 PMHow about Kato Chan and Ken Chan? It has to count as "not being released in the USA" due to the amount of pooping in bushes that only occurs in the Japanese version...
I thoroughly enjoyed JJ & Jeff despite the scat!
But would you agree that with more bush pooping, it would be even better?
#29
Quote from: pixeljunkie on 11/16/2014, 10:45 AM
Quote from: Opethian on 11/15/2014, 02:55 PMIMG

kabonk
Now I am wishing I had an all Jpn Bonk set :( except for that 'spensive one ;)
Man. Gotta keep telling myself that having 1 and 2 on the 3 in 1 disc is enough...
#30
How about Kato Chan and Ken Chan? It has to count as "not being released in the USA" due to the amount of pooping in bushes that only occurs in the Japanese version...
#31
Quote from: Opethian on 04/14/2015, 04:05 PMthere is a feeling of dirt
manual has pains
there is no box theory
There is a scratch.
#32
Quote from: cr8zykuban0 on 04/14/2015, 01:57 AMi just got my copy in. finally got this amazing game in my collection! but man those birds in the 2nd stage get on my fucking nerves! lol
Just hang onto the axe after you've used it on the Wyvern, and all will be well.
#33
Jesus. The last thing anyone who actually plays these needs is for these things to be treated like AES cartridges.
#34
I have one... it came with my system. I'm happy to plug it in and try it out with a burn of something that uses it; maybe Popful Mail? Are there any games that are particularly easy to navigate? Popful's menu does seem to have icons, but I'm vaguely terrified of deleting all my system saves...

So to be clear, how exactly does this thing work? Can you copy saves you have on your system TO it, or do you have to move things in larger chunks?

Quote from: esteban on 04/15/2014, 11:00 AM
OPEN REQUEST TO ALL: I would love SCREENSHOTS of the special MB128 UI that some games have...it seems that each game had to implement its own MB128 utility (or, at the very least, implement a custom UI front end for the Hudson-supplied backend utility).

I don't have MB128, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can. 

Thanks in advance.  :pcgs:
#35
Hi all! Got some stuff this past week.

IMG

Currently my new copy of Dracula X is living inside of it.

IMG

System's in incredible condition. Box, manuals, foam, even the foam / plastic baggies for everything. Crazier still, nobody in 20 years took the protective plastic off of the controller.

IMG

I've never seen a lot of the manuals / cards that apparently came with this system. I should scan them...

IMG