Help! The CD Won't Spin on my TurboDuo!

Started by Tempest_2084, 11/07/2014, 09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tempest_2084

Hi,

I've just completed the laser replacement on my US TurboDuo and everything went very smoothly (or so I thought).  However no matter what I do the CD will not spin and eventually I get a Set Disc error.  I did a basic continuity test on the wires and they all seem good (at least I think).  On a hunch I put my old laser back in and it also will not start spinning the disc.  The old laser was working just fine before I put the new one in (although it would not read CD-R's which is why I replaced it) so I can't understand why it won't work now.

Since both the old and new laser don't seem to be detecting the disc I guess I must have broken something when I removed the laser.  I can't see what I could have damaged as it was very simple and I followed the guide.  The Duo has been freshly recapped so that can't be the problem. On a whim I even tried adjusting the pot that controls the CD spindle but that did not help.  Any ideas? I'm at my wits end with this thing.  I think I may need to send it to someone for repairs.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Tempest_2084 on 11/07/2014, 09:50 AMHi,

I've just completed the laser replacement on my US TurboDuo and everything went very smoothly (or so I thought).  However no matter what I do the CD will not spin and eventually I get a Set Disc error.  I did a basic continuity test on the wires and they all seem good (at least I think).  On a hunch I put my old laser back in and it also will not start spinning the disc.  The old laser was working just fine before I put the new one in (although it would not read CD-R's which is why I replaced it) so I can't understand why it won't work now.

Since both the old and new laser don't seem to be detecting the disc I guess I must have broken something when I removed the laser.  I can't see what I could have damaged as it was very simple and I followed the guide.  The Duo has been freshly recapped so that can't be the problem. On a whim I even tried adjusting the pot that controls the CD spindle but that did not help.  Any ideas? I'm at my wits end with this thing.  I think I may need to send it to someone for repairs.
I had this problem before, you may need to adjust the pots (potentiometers) on the motherboard. In my case both caps needed to be replaced and the pots needed to be adjusted to bring it back to life.
--DragonmasterDan

Tempest_2084

Do you know which pots you adjusted?  I played with VR105  (spindle comp) but that didnt seem to do anything.  Also, why would I need to adjust the pots if everything was working before?  If the new laser with the pot positions was a problem, you'd think that putting in the old laser would solve that.

I'm very nervous about playing with any of the pots as I hear it's almost impossible to get them adjusted right if you screw it up.

DragonmasterDan

I wasn't the adjuster in this case, this was done by a user named Kattare. We might be able to get this thread moved over to the repair board where some of the repair tech folks can see it.
--DragonmasterDan

Tempest_2084

Ah.  Thank you to whoever moved the thread, I didn't realize there was a separate repair section.

chop5

hi,if you have a volt meter with ohms you can try these settings that ive found pretty much close to all duos:

set meter to ohms at 20k or so
vr 101 7.29 & 13.26
vr 102 8.38 & 7.65
vr 103 13.44 & 4.75
vr 104 13.21 & 5.73
vr 105 0.00 & 0.38
also the pot on the laser is about 0.70 to 0.80.

but what concerns me is not the pots,make sure you didnt pulla wire from the fragile ribbon connector. i would check each wire with the meter for continuity.
also new lasers are a crap shoot. sometimes the rate is 3 bad ones before you get a good one.
you may need to send it to one of us to figure it. us being the techys here.
AKA jetblue
Gentlemen behold...The chopsado!
IMG
tg-16 region converter or some weird bow tie

Tempest_2084

I'm willing to send it to anyone who thinks they can figure out what's wrong.  That's not an issue.  I'm based in SE Michigan.