Old School Gamer Magazine

Started by esteban, 01/25/2018, 07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

Bonk is on the cover.

Otherwise, I have very little interest in this...except that this rising from the ashes of COLECOVISION scammer's magazine empire!

https://www.oldschoolgamermagazine.com/product/old-school-gamer-1-year-subscription/

Discuss... (needless to say, I am very hard to please, and I glanced at the contributers and didn't recognize them and therefore could not determine if they were reputable or not...

NOTE: Classic Gaming Quarterly (pcefx member) contributed an article (or something) about an old issue of DiHard....

BLAH BKAH BLAH

Anyway, I am hypercritical with  stuff I know about, but far more lenient towards an author when he/she is writing about something I have limited knowledge in.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NecroPhile

I've not read it, but $30 is pricey for a bimonthly magazine subscription.

Yes, I'm cheap.  :mrgreen:

Quote from: esteban on 01/25/2018, 07:37 AMBonk is on the cover.
Don't forget Bomberman!
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

BigusSchmuck

It's not bad, they were handing these out at PRGE last October. Had some spelling errors so I wouldn't say its worth $30 but maybe if it was a yearly subscription (12 issues not 6).

VmprHntrD

I thought they were handing out all sorts of ways to get a free digital sub?  I know if you had a gamegavel account it was done automatically.

Gypsy

$5 an issue is kinda okay imo, with magazines being basically a really niche thing now. A shame about the spelling errors though, hopefully they get that sorted.

seieienbu

Didn't Colecochameleon guy scam a bunch of people with his last magazine?  Like, continued to sell issues that he knew he'd never make or something?
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

xcrement5x

Quote from: Gypsy on 01/25/2018, 12:28 PM$5 an issue is kinda okay imo, with magazines being basically a really niche thing now. A shame about the spelling errors though, hopefully they get that sorted.
Yeah, I find it hard to spend too much on a magazine subscription unless the content is really good. GameInformer is pretty much free after the 10% discounting that happens.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

esteban

Quote from: VmprHntrD on 01/25/2018, 11:48 AMI thought they were handing out all sorts of ways to get a free digital sub?  I know if you had a gamegavel account it was done automatically.
I think that all the folks who were scammed by COLECOCHAMELEON were given some issues of Old School Gamer (to make amends and be constructive).

It was a good move, obviously, since the folks who were willing to pay for RETRO are the customers you need for the new magazine.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what the new magazine is like...

I don't mind supporting a magazine I like (all it takes is a few good articles/features and I am happy...I don't need 100% of a publication to be perfect or catered to my own tastes).

Anyway...

:)

seieienbu

If I was going to buy magazines about old video games, I think I'd rather buy the ones from back when as opposed to those produced today.  Maybe I'll pick one of these up out of curiosity, but I can't imagine it's anything more than retrospectives or articles about the state of retro gaming today.  Either way I feel there's enough free content to where I don't care about either.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

ClodBusted

Seieienbu, I agree with you.

esteban