Do I want Alundra?

Started by bob, 01/31/2014, 02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob

I've been on the lookout for a "Zelda" style game for the PS1. All roads so far have pointed me to Alundra.
Anybody have any experience with this game?  Worth the $20 or so I see it go for?  I value opinions here.

Opethian

Brave Fencer Musashi was better
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Alundra is a very tedious fucking game.   The dungeons are often really brutal and long winded, but not really interesting.

It has a great story, but a sort of dumb ending, too.   

Brave Fencer Musashi is indeed a better choice.   Or try Legend of Mana.  It's not QUITE Zelda, but it's actiony.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

xcrement5x

ALUNDRA WITH 8 VARIANTS FUCK MY FACE!
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

TR0N

Alundra is fine it's by the same team behind landstalker.Though id avoid it's sequel since it has nothing to do with the original.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

roflmao

I liked Alundra, though I lost interest before finishing it. Never played Brave Fencer Musashi, though now I'm intrigued.

ParanoiaDragon

I loved Alundra, no doubt.  But the puzzle's are brutal IMO.  Still, I finished it all the same.  I did play thru Alundra 2.  If they could've found a way to use the same engine as the first one, I think that game would've rocked.  But, with it's 3D, it turned out sloppy.  I still gotta play Musashi one of these days.  I also want to play thru Monkey Hero, though I think most people consider it trash.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

My problem with Alundra is similar to my problem with Ultima VIII.    It's repetitive.  The dungeons have no variety.    Practically every dungeon is like the same dumb looking cave.

The story/characters blow Zelda away though, I think.

Alundra's last dungeon was the best part.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

wildfruit

I personally love Alundra. The main thing i find tedious about it is some of the jumping parts. There are some that are very hard to judge and get boring quickly because of the perspective. I also love the soundtrack. I think it may have actually been the first rpg i actually owned

Sent from my Lumia 520 on Scabb Island using Tapatalk

bob

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: wildfruit on 02/01/2014, 07:55 PMI personally love Alundra. The main thing i find tedious about it is some of the jumping parts. There are some that are very hard to judge and get boring quickly because of the perspective. I also love the soundtrack. I think it may have actually been the first rpg i actually owned

Sent from my Lumia 520 on Scabb Island using Tapatalk
YES!  Jumping can be a beeeyotch!  That was the thing that got my wife to stop playing, she's tends to hate jumping in games in general, with exception to platformers like Mario or Rayman she has no problem with it.
IMG

roflmao

Yeah, now that you mentioned it, I recall some of the jumps making my blood boil.

TR0N

Quote from: guest on 02/01/2014, 09:48 PMYeah, now that you mentioned it, I recall some of the jumps making my blood boil.
That it does just like in landstalker there are times where it's hard to judge,where you can jump !
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Mathius

The dungeons piss me off in this game. They aren't logically laid out and I usually end up running around in circles until I give up and quit playing.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Mathius on 02/02/2014, 08:43 PMThe dungeons piss me off in this game. They aren't logically laid out and I usually end up running around in circles until I give up and quit playing.
Yeah, that's basically correct.

Some of the jumping related puzzles were just a giant cocksucking mess.   

Like those ones where you have to quickly run/jump across those things to make a door open. 

and then sometimes like when you're up on the mountain, you're fucking around for hours before you realize there's a spot you can jump to if you aim just right, and you have to go that way to progress, lol.

If the game would have ditched the jumping, it would've been a far better game.

IrishNinja

i was far along in this game & totally had the "twist" ruined by a letter section in a Game Players or similar mag, never went back.  it's WD so i'll likely pick it up again one day though. 

Quote from: guest on 01/31/2014, 05:27 PMALUNDRA WITH 8 VARIANTS FUCK MY FACE!
ahahaha...it's a terrible plight you have there m'man

Quote from: TR0N on 02/01/2014, 02:49 AMAlundra is fine it's by the same team behind landstalker.Though id avoid it's sequel since it has nothing to do with the original.
i always forget that Matrix came from Climax, makes sense though.  they were hit-and-miss even in the day though, like i adored Shining & Land Stalker but dont recall Time Stalker making an impression.
Cuttin' hangtabs since christmas '86
IMG
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

I wish WD had atleast tweaked the jumping before releasing.  Still, I had a great time with this game, even with the parts that pissed me off.
IMG

DragonmasterDan

Alundra is my favorite Zelda knock-off. It's well worth 20.00, it is much harder than any Zelda game and there's a few "cheap puzzles".
--DragonmasterDan

bob

"Jumping" has made me second guess.

munchiaz

Alundra is really great. It can be frustrating, mostly due to the jumps. But as others have said. The story blows Zelda out of the water. The OST is pretty amazing as well. I have yet to beat the game, but i got all the way to the end (forget why i stopped)

Also you can get the game on PSN, so you can play it on the go if you have a psp

@Xele. Yeah so many variants for this game. i currently only have 2 of the variants

pulstar

I loved the art style and the story of Alundra. I thought it was pretty good and it's definitely worth $20. With a little practice I found the jumping pretty, same story with Landstalker. Go get it man!
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...