10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Underrated Racing Games ????

Started by turboswimbz, 12/12/2013, 12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboswimbz

I really like racing games. Looking for a few of the more obscure games that I may have missed that were good.  Or maybe ones that never got a release in North America. Thought I'd ask and see if anyone has some good ones that were simply never got the credit they deserved. 

Thanks in Advance.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

PCEngineHell

If you never grabbed it, Split/Second is pretty awesome.

VestCunt

Any particular systems or timeframe?
Topic Adjourned.

turboswimbz

Quote from: guest on 12/12/2013, 01:08 PMAny particular systems or timeframe?
No, but I don't actually own a PS3 or MS system yet. I'm probably going to pick up a PS3 sometime soon to play some of the games I missed out in the last gen though.
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

geise

For parties, Micro Machines on the PSOne is probably the most fun you'll have if you are doing gaming.  I also love the Ridge Racer series.  It's an "ARCADE" racer not a realistic sim.  When people get past it and realize this they will enjoy it.  It is a total non realistic, but fun racing series.  If you are a fan of the RC Pro Am game you'll love Rock n' Roll Racing on the SNES, Genesis, and GBA.  I prefer the SNES version.

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

geise

Quote from: guest on 12/12/2013, 07:01 PMSuper GT/Scud Race
Was Scud Race ever released on console?  Daytona 2000 for DC is very nice, along with F355 Challenge.  F355 does have a steep lurning curve though.

turboswimbz

I liked Super GT in the arcade, only got pay it a handful of times though.  Night Driver is a game I've played on the PC.

Sparky

Love racing games and I am actually good at them.

I am with geise on ridge racer,.....and you can take your pick from ps1 up to ps3.. Always good fun, with the original ps1 ridge racer you play a short board of Galaga before the game starts and if you clear the board you get bonus cars :) honestly try ridge racer there all good. Also one of the best handling car games is Driver and Driver 2 for the ps1.. Peel outs, hand braking you will have a lot of fun plus it has a survivor mode against cops... Try lasting more then 2 minutes :P

TheClash603

My friend and I sure did play a lot of Kyle Petty's No Fear Racing on SNES back in the day...  though we might've just been idiots.

Top Gear Racing was the other game of the era we play a lot of.

I think racing is a genre that really improves with technology though, so I recommend picking up a current gen system and playing the more recent Forza games.  Gran Turismo 3 was my favorite in that series, since it seems you have a PS2.  Project Gotham Racing was always solid on the XB360 too.

I also loved the Ivan Ironman Stewart / RC Pro AM / Motoroader types of games, but I don't think you are looking for those.

MotherGunner

-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

turboswimbz

Quote from: TheClash603 on 12/12/2013, 10:13 PMI also loved the Ivan Ironman Stewart / RC Pro AM / Motoroader types of games, but I don't think you are looking for those.
Looking for all types. i like so many diffrent racing games.

turboswimbz

haven't played a ridge racer game in forever, don't remember much about them, those seem like some games i'll need to pick up soon.

Also glad I got some current gen suggestions, hopefully when I grab one I'll try out some of those.

Thank so far guys.

PCEngineHell

https://store.steampowered.com/app/297860/SplitSecond/

Again, Split/Second. Seriously, not many racers better then this game. Its arcade style, but very engaging and you have to do a lot of planning in advance for how you handle to race courses and other cars. You can bring the environment, along with even a plane, down on enemy racers, and when I say enemy I do mean enemy. No one is friendly, consider them all out to kill you.

jeffhlewis

NFS Underground (PS2/Xbox/GC) - trust me on this one. It's corny as hell but it's addictive and the gameplay is pretty rock solid. Game starts off easy, hooks you, and then gets pretty challenging towards the end. It's good shit though. Plus it has the greatest Petey Pablo song ever on the soundtrack:

Petey Pablo - Need For Speed

Outrun 2019 is surprisingly good also for the MD/Genny.

TR0N

Far as kart racers go sonic and sega all stars racing.
Classic Game Room - SONIC & ALL-STARS RACING review for Wii
Even after it got good reviews after it's release the game was really ingored.Most past it off as a poor man's mario kart,even though it wasn't true at all.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

majors

I played MSR on DC a lot, I think it is a precursor to Gotham.

Sonic R on SS was good fun, but I'm in love with the music. Touring Car has good tunes also, but the game is ass.

Sega Rally on SS is my goto, feel good, relax driving game. I can play time mode for hours even though there is only 3(4) tracks.

Vanishing Point on the DC had a fun mode where you do tricks. I never liked the actual main game, just the Stunt Driver Mode.

You can't go wrong with Rage Racer. Definitely best of the lot there on PS1. Of course WipeOut should be mentioned but it's not a traditional racer.

I've got Bari Bari Densetsu on my short list, it seem like a fun obey driver. I loved hang-on for the SMS, so this should be a welcome upgrade.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

Opethian

Crash Team Racer
Neo Drift Out
Rush 2049
Crazy Taxi
Daytona USA
IMG

hizaygizirlz

I agree on Split Second.

Also I really liked Midnight Club 2 on PS2, I'm not sure how the rest of the series turned out but maybe look into that series as well.
Gypsies did it.

Got no luv for the krackers only slugs for the krackers!

VestCunt

Random favorites and sleepers:
*Battle Cross SFC
*SCARS N64
*Stunt Race FX (give it time)
*Mario Kart 64 on Donkey Kong Jungle at 150cc. Best, most intense level/setting on the game. Almost makes up for the rest of the cartridge.
*Rad Racer 2
*RC Pro Am 2 & Super Off Road NES (good four players)
*Micro Machines SMS
*Buggy Run SMS
*SCI PCE
*NFS 3DO. Still worth buying a console just for this.

Stay away from Street Racer and Micro Machines SNES. If you want to see something hilarious, try 4-player Street Racer stretched on a modern widescreen for a 30:1 playing field.
Topic Adjourned.

esteban

It might be simplistic, and well-known, but Roadblasters on Lynx is quite nice. I haven't played the arcade cab since the late 80's, but I'd love to own one now.

Addictive.

I never knew that MicroMachines made it to the PS1. That's crazy. I loved the NES version.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esadajr

Al Unser Jr Turbo Racing for the NES. Hours of fun.
Gaming since 1985

Gogan

F-Zero on N64. Think it's called F-Zero X. It's rad
Nothin beats the real thing.

bob

does chase HQ count?  if so...yeah, I always found it pretty addictive.
A lot of the F Zero games are good.  I actually particularly like it on the GBA.
The Midnight Club series is fun too.

ToyMachine78

Quote from: esadajr on 05/29/2014, 03:19 PMAl Unser Jr Turbo Racing for the NES. Hours of fun.
.  Bingo! That is the one racing game that stands out to me that I spent hours with! Good call!

ToyMachine78

Burnout revenge on the 360 is damn fun too!!

roflmao

Quote from: guest on 05/29/2014, 07:56 PMBurnout revenge on the 360 is damn fun too!!
Burnout 2  (Original Xbox) is one that gets a lot of play whenever I have friends over (including non-gamers).  There's regular racing in it, but the magic is the crash mode where you try to earn medals based on how much damage you do in these massive auto wrecks.  I know there have been sequels (and I've enjoyed a few of them), but this was is just about perfect. :)

NessFreaK

The best arcade / 'kart racer' / party racing game, without a doubt, has to be Snowboard Kids 2. My gosh that game is fantastic -- the tricks, the weapons, the fluid controls, the awesome boards. ... SO much love <3

Ninja16608

Quote from: Tatsujin on 12/12/2013, 06:15 PMnight driver
Lol That's one from the wayback machine :-) Mr. Peabody

DeshDildo

Here are a few that weren't mentioned yet.

NES:
Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat
Formula One: Built to Win
Micro Machines

SNES (I have limited experience with this platform):
F1-ROC II (Formula One Race of Champions)

Genesis:
Andretti Racing
Championship Pro Am
Out runners
Road Rash 1,2,3

N64:
Cruisn' USA
Cruisn' World
Both NASCAR games are fun if you have 2-players
San Fransisco Rush

PS1:
Jarrett/ Labonte Racing

PS2/ GameCube:
NASCAR Dirt to Daytona
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

esteban

STATUS: I usually mention Super Sprint and Super Off Road in threads like this because I had so much fun with them (3+ player matches) :pcgs:

HONEST REQUEST: I rarely play MOTORCYCLE stuff outside of Sega classic. I'm sure it falls within the purview of this thread, so...anything good? Or is it a really tiny sub genre (don't mention Road Rash, I played all of them back on the day and haven't had a desire to revisit them).

I prefer non-polygon.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

geise

I'm telling you guys.  A group of people and Micro Machines on the psx.  Much fun to be had.

turboswimbz

HOULY bump. Awesome thanks forda more games ideas.  8)

InfraMan

I love, looooooooove Road Trip on the Playstation 2. Not so much for the racing itself, which is fun-but-standard Choro Q stuff, as for the surprisingly well-done RPG aspects. There's a ton of stuff to do, and the whole thing has a weird, goofy charm that makes it a blast to play.

Easily one of my all-time favorite PS2 games, and it's cheap to boot! :)

jtucci31

Quote from: geise on 05/30/2014, 08:44 AMI'm telling you guys.  A group of people and Micro Machines on the psx.  Much fun to be had.
Is micro machines the game where if someone falls behind they get dropped out? And there are weapons involved as well I think?

Phase

Gonna have to try Split Second for PC.. looks cool.

I really liked Tokyo Xtreme Racer 1 and 2 back on the Dreamcast when it came out, then on the PS2 there is Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero and 3. It kinda goes with the Wangan Midnight anime series which i also recommend if you like import cars. The style of racing is you go around a large city track and challenge cars to a duel to gain money for upgrades and new cars. There is also Import Tuner Challenge on 360 by the same people but i haven't played it yet.

Medic_wheat

loads of hidden gem racing games...

problem is

are you looking for arcade racers, simulation racers, F1 racers, destruction racers (burnout), or wacky racking game where you fight (mark kart and alike) .......

then there are some really good retooled and revamped classic racers that cameo out during the Xbox (the first one not the XBONE) ...

VenomMacbeth

There's fun to be had with Astro Fang on the Famicom, Fire & Forget II on the Master System, and Outlander on the Genesis & SNES if you're into combat racers.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Digi.k

Quote from: Tatsujin on 12/13/2013, 09:27 PMPower Drift C
certainly this. 

Also I think victory run is underrated, it's pretty smooth and I wonder why they never made a sequel with better graphics and sound...

Buggy Boy was another game I enjoyed and also wondered why no pce version... :(
IMG

and damnit Konami why no wec le mans for pce
IMG

18 wheeler
IMG
IMG

bob

^^ whats the 18 wheeler game on?

Digi.k

Quote from: galam on 06/08/2014, 05:37 PM^^ whats the 18 wheeler game on?
IMG
dreamcast. Its a very short game but its one of those that require multiple replays... if you like collecting things

bob

ToyMachine78

roflmao

Ninja Spirit

Astro Go Go for Super Famicom, that's a mode 7 juggernaut like F-Zero
Uchuu Race: Astro Go! Go! (SNES/SFC): Wonder Cup

LostFlunky

Quote from: guest on 06/09/2014, 11:34 PM
Quote from: Digi.k on 06/08/2014, 04:55 PM18 wheeler
IMG
Aw yeah!  This game is crazy fun.
There are PS2 and GCN ports as well..  Shouldn't be too hard to find since there are so many flavors.