@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Replacement cases for loose PCE hucards

Started by ultrageranium, 07/31/2014, 06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ultrageranium

Hello everyone!

I have a bunch of loose PCE hucards that I'd like to find cases/manual for, but it seems a rather hit & miss process, possibly more missing than hitting. So I thought about using third party cases and print covers. I do not mind about the authenticity factor as I am not so much of a purist for the concerned titles.

So far the closest thing I found was http://seymoronion.com/Custom_Game_Cases/TG16_Chip.html
that has some replacement trays, but the project seems to be stalled. I intend to contact the person to know more about it, but I thought about asking here in case someone else knows about any alternative, including DIY solutions.

Thanks!

NecroPhile

Other than buying cheap sports games and stealing their homes ( :( ), there's this.  I prefer Sparky's solution, as it doesn't ruin a bunch of games, is economical, and you can print your own tray liner thingy (easier and more durable than DIY spine stickers).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Trenton_net

Not really helpful, but I figured I would never have another chance to vent... So here it is! :-)

I hate the fact that HuCard cases have the spine labels stuck on the side, and not actually inside the case like CD-ROMs jewel cases do. It means if the case gets damaged, you can't really remove the insert and replace it with another one.

NecroPhile

I'm with you there, Trenton.  I'd rather all hueys were like the latter releases with white trays in standard jewel cases.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

johnnymad

Quote from: guest on 07/31/2014, 09:45 AMOther than buying cheap sports games and stealing their homes ( :( ), there's this.  I prefer Sparky's solution, as it doesn't ruin a bunch of games, is economical, and you can print your own tray liner thingy (easier and more durable than DIY spine stickers).
That's brilliant. Gonna run by the dollar store and try to find these.

ultrageranium

Thanks!

The 3M thing seems like a good trick. I also think cannibalising even crappy games is a terrible option.

One thing that I have overlooked however is the printing of covers/manuals. I naively assumed it would be trivial to find hi-res cover and manual scans of PCE games but I can hardly find any.

Is there a good resource for that? One of the most complete that I found was http://www.videogameden.com but the scans are all watermarked :(

esteban

Quote from: ultrageranium on 07/31/2014, 04:43 PMThanks!

The 3M thing seems like a good trick. I also think cannibalising even crappy games is a terrible option.

One thing that I have overlooked however is the printing of covers/manuals. I naively assumed it would be trivial to find hi-res cover and manual scans of PCE games but I can hardly find any.

Is there a good resource for that? One of the most complete that I found was http://www.videogameden.com but the scans are all watermarked :(
I will host high-res scans, but building up a library of scans is the tricky part.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ultrageranium

Quote from: esteban on 07/31/2014, 05:13 PMI will host high-res scans, but building up a library of scans is the tricky part.
With so many people here, I would imagine that it simplifies things if the platform is easy enough to contribute, like on a wiki for instance?

esteban

Quote from: ultrageranium on 07/31/2014, 05:21 PM
Quote from: esteban on 07/31/2014, 05:13 PMI will host high-res scans, but building up a library of scans is the tricky part.
With so many people here, I would imagine that it simplifies things if the platform is easy enough to contribute, like on a wiki for instance?
Nothing is easy. Folks don't have scanners, or time, or _________.

ultrageranium

Yes, I did not want to make it sound like it is a piece of cake.

I just wanted to point out the advantage of an open/collaborative platform for such tasks.

As for the scanner, this is also true that fewer and fewer people have these dedicated pieces of hardware at home, but it is not uncommon to see them bundle in more popular "X in 1" devices that print/scan/copy/etc and of course it is more and more common for people to have decent compact or DSLR photo camera that can provide very good alternative to scanners.

I found this too: http://www.thecoverproject.net/uploads/raw/NEC%20-%20TurboGrafx-16/

But it is confusing how they mix TG-16 an PCE stuff together.

When do you plan to launch your cover hosting?

esteban

Quote from: ultrageranium link=msg=362268 date=When do you plan to launch your cover hosting?
A decade or two.

ultrageranium

Ah I just found this thread about new cases.
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=13611.0

Quote from: esteban on 08/01/2014, 06:44 AM
Quote from: ultrageranium link=msg=362268 date=When do you plan to launch your cover hosting?
A decade or two.
Sounds good. If a ready to use mediawiki install can help speed up the process or share the work load, I'm happy to provide it.