RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Neutopia II fireballs

Started by crazydean, 12/02/2017, 07:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazydean

Trying to play some Neutopia II, but I keep getting frustrated with the fire. The enemies move in random directions when they take damage, often hitting me.

The boomerang gets so easily or else I would use it more, and a lot of the enemies are difficult to hit with the sword due to weird movement patterns or significant speed.

I'm only on the fourth dungeon and finding the game much more difficult than I remember the first being.

Can you guys share some strategies or do I just need to "git gud"?

ccovell

Calm down and observe.  (It's possibly the reason for your double-posts, too.)

The direction you are facing when an enemy is hit with the wand weapons in Neut II is the one it will be sent in.  So, if you unleash a fireball towards an enemy and then turn around, it'll come towards you.  So, just watch where you face your character when you attack an enemy with slow-moving fire / whirlwind.

crazydean

Weird that it double posted. I only hit "create" once but it did take a while.

Anyway, thanks a lot for this. Idk why I couldn't figure that out on my own.

NoSexGex

The wand is so weird in Neutopia II
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

PukeSter

Neutopia 2 I thought was pretty lame, though somewhat better than the first. Having diagonal movement and more magic to play around with increased the fun factor a bit. Stick with Dawn of Ys or Dungeon Explorer 2

I liked the towns and overworld minibosses, but Hudson still didn't bother to change things up much. Soundtrack is kinda eh but I thought this song was amazing https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=MTzFwtUjX0M

The 5th dungeon is a 5 floor monster, expect to waste a shitload of bombs.

I don't remember when you get the lightning magic but that works better than the fire.

NecroPhile

The wands should logically throw enemies opposite the direction of the wand's projectile (the direction you faced when fired, not when it hits), but it's something you get used to and can use to your advantage to pull enemies closer for faster killing.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

NoSexGex

For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"

esteban

I thought the fireballs were overkill in this game. Too powerful. I wish the game had been tweaked a bit, but it wasn't a deal-breaker.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

crazydean

Quote from: esteban on 12/07/2017, 04:33 PMI thought the fireballs were overkill in this game. Too powerful. I wish the game had been tweaked a bit, but it wasn't a deal-breaker.
Good to see you around again. Life getting in the way of the forums?

esteban

Quote from: crazydean on 12/07/2017, 06:16 PM
Quote from: esteban on 12/07/2017, 04:33 PMI thought the fireballs were overkill in this game. Too powerful. I wish the game had been tweaked a bit, but it wasn't a deal-breaker.
Good to see you around again. Life getting in the way of the forums?
Sadly, life is super-busy and super-stress.

But, I had a goal to get back here by October 30 for 30 year anniversary, then I shifted it to November 30th... then I said "early December"...

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

OldRover

In Neutopia II, your magic never increases in power, unlike in the original Neutopia where your fire attack power increases as your life increases. So really, the staves in Neutopia II are worse. They just give you greater range as your life increases... which of course ends up being a major problem with the full-power wind staff if you hit enemies behind you if there is open ground between you and them... lightning staff too, starting at power level 2.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

crazydean

I've made it to the 5th dungeon, but I might not continue on. Five floors and every room is a grind. I'm having a hard time staying alive within the dungeon.

MNKyDeth

Man don't give up....

Neutopia 2 is a solid play. I enjoyed the game. It has its own quirks and such. I remember it being a bit of an exploration game as well. Bomb everything, burn everything to make sure you don't miss a thing.

Also mapping out areas can help too. To make sure you don't miss items by not going somewhere you possibly should have in the overworld areas. Dungeons have there own maps on e you get the crystal ball of course.

It's worth at least one play through imo.

crazydean

Quote from: MNKyDeth on 12/12/2017, 08:43 PMDungeons have there own maps on e you get the crystal ball of course.
Lol. They're still pretty useless since you can't see all five levels at once. Not to mention that there are still secret rooms that the map doesn't show. Pretty dumb, imo.

I'll give it another chance tonight, though, simply on your recommendation.

MNKyDeth

If you need to bust out some graph paper if it helps. Mark the walls you bomb and everything.

It's stuff like that is what I used to do back in the day.

ccovell

A friendly reminder: I have mostly complete maps of Neutopia I and II on my page here:  https://www.chrismcovell.com/gamesillust.html

NoSexGex

Quote from: ccovell on 12/12/2017, 11:50 PMA friendly reminder: I have mostly complete maps of Neutopia I and II on my page here:  https://www.chrismcovell.com/gamesillust.html
Chris's Adventure looks awesome

crazydean

Quote from: ccovell on 12/12/2017, 11:50 PMA friendly reminder: I have mostly complete maps of Neutopia I and II on my page here:  https://www.chrismcovell.com/gamesillust.html
Tooling around on your site and finding new things that I've never seen before. How refreshing! That Fami-complete book awesome. Too bad I can't read Japanese  :(

As for the game, I've been using a guide just to get through it. Neutopia II is way to0 maze-like for me, and I haven't enjoyed it nearly as much as the first. Anyway, I'm at the final labyrinth now and will probably complete it today or tomorrow.

NightWolve

Ooo, Batman images!!

IMG

IMGIMG

IMG

Thanks! :)

crazydean

Well, I thought this game would be over, lol. I've made it to Dirth twice now and lost both times. I made the mistake of saving the game after my first loss, so I can't get the medicine within the dungeon anymore. It's worth it to try once more, but I think that's all I got left in me, haha.

My main problem seems to be dodging the magic since I don't know what kind of magic he is going to use. Maybe I'll try the boomerang since I don't have to be so close. Or, perhaps I need to attack once then run away.

EDIT: It took me two more tries, but I got it after watching DarkKobald's speed run on YT. Once I realized that it didn't take many hits to kill Dirth, you really don't have to worry about dodging.

I like how they decided to foreshadow Neutopia III at the end. I wonder if the plan was to make a more unique game or just more of the same like with the second installment. The world may never know.