RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Zonk, parlez vous francais?

Started by Psycho Nulltard, 11/03/2014, 06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psycho Nulltard

I don't -NEED- a french Air Zonk Box & manual... I don't even -NEED- scans of them (although, said scans will earn you pleasures unimaginable for what could only be quantified as "long time").  What I do -NEED- is confirmation that Air Zonk does indeed have a Canuckistan French box/manual variant.

Even answering this question factually for me will lead to HTT sending you some impure vibes, regardless of whether or not you have scans for me. :lol:
IMG
Psycho John Moriconi sabotaged/destroyed TWO PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook (Cuz Chris Runyon!), then the other by Aaron Nanto (Cuz Le NightWolve!)!!! John and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together mainly because he's also a PCE admin who worked VERY hard to poach members for HIS OWN site which has been an abysmal failure now marred by a legacy of utter mass destruction/harassment/doxxing alliances with KKKFarms . net even despite their involvement in Byuu/Near's suicide! BOTH times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (blackmail/extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang of DildoKKKobolds!

If you suspect he & his gang of psycho cyber bully friends did it on purpose, thought it through to its logical conclusion, preplanned it years before (never let a good crisis go to waste & create it if need be!) and that the PCEFX chatbox launch was just a pretense, you'd be correct...

Feel free to reach out if you wish: nullity_down@yahoo.com
Like DarkKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:

Lochlan

I can't 100% confirm it's existence as I have not personally seen it.

However I am sure that it exists.  TTI French Canadian releases have a UPC sticker on the box (over the old one) and a folded B&W glossy paper manual.
Quote from: ridgewood_general_store_1 on 08/15/2014, 11:12 AMI'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

CrackTiger

My memory is that Air Zonk came with French instructions.

A better question would be, which Canadian releases didn't come with French instructions.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Nulltard on 11/03/2014, 09:24 PMThe fate of the turboverse bangs in the balance. This knowledge could make the difference.
fixed.

*vibes*
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Nulltard on 11/03/2014, 09:24 PMRight on. Thanks for the confirmation.

That is a good question, black tiger. Are there any NA releases that did not hit Canuckistan?

The fate of the turboverse hangs in the balance. This knowledge could make the difference.
IIRC, black_tigre has stated that Working Designs titles were not officially distributed in Canada.

Third-party.

Not sure about first-party titles, though.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

reno5

I confirm that Working Designs where not officially distributed here.

As for the box they are identical but in the later release we got a folded glossy black and white french booklet.

As of now all video games released in Québec must have English and French descriptions on the back of the box + french instruction, notice etc. I even have a XBOX 360 copy of Mass effect entirely in french (no english anywhere on the box and in game) that i tried to pass in a gamestop in Virginia and was refused has the barcode didn't exist in their system :)

NecroPhile

Some games had different boxes and others just had a upc sticker; some games had cheap folded frenchy instructions and others had fully translated manuals.  I've not made a concerted effort to figure it out, but I'd bet they started out doing the full treatment and only cheaped out on the latter releases (like with leaving out cases).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Lochlan

Quote from: Nulltard on 11/04/2014, 08:04 AMI'm not disputing anyone's statements/claims... but i am beginning to think the project of identifying which games have box differences, full manuals vs shiny inserts, and which came with escargot gift certificates is going to be a chore. Haha...
There are three kinds of box/manual configurations for French language games.

1) Old style boxes (four screenshot black boxes).  They original English text is under the top two screenshots and then there is a French translation under the bottom two.  There is an Ontario address for NEC Canada and usually some fonts are different, there seem to always be slight variations.  A French manual is included OUTSIDE the jewel case (same quality as original manual).  All this is true for the two white box CD games as well.

2) NEC released "colored" boxes.  The game genre on the back is in French and the description has smaller text with both English/French descriptions.  I think they have the Ontario address also but generally less variance than with the old boxes.  Also include a French manual outside the jewel case (same quality as original manual).  All this is true for the boxed CD games

3) TTI releases.  UPC sticker and a glossy b&w paper manual.  You can really see the cost-cutting measures with this one

What I'm not sure about is the CD games without boxes.  I know at least Beyond Shadowgate had a Canadian release with the UPC sticker but I've never seen a French manual for the unboxed CD titles.
Quote from: ridgewood_general_store_1 on 08/15/2014, 11:12 AMI'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Nulltard on 11/03/2014, 09:24 PMRight on. Thanks for the confirmation.

That is a good question, black tiger. Are there any NA releases that did not hit Canuckistan?

The fate of the turboverse hangs in the balance. This knowledge could make the difference.
No third party published titles were released in Canada. So it's pretty much WD games, Sidearms, Tricky Kick and Sinistron. Can't remember at thr moment if there were any other non-NEC/TTi releases. Who published Klax? I found it locally at a flea market, so it's likely not an import.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

neutopia6

I've got a French Bonk 3, the instructions are black and white and French, still has shrink wrap with a sticker on it that says ''directives en francais a l'interieur''
Don't know if this helps or not, but figured I'd try lol.

reno5

Quote from: CrackTiger on 11/04/2014, 11:53 AMNo third party published titles were released in Canada. So it's pretty much WD games, Sidearms, Tricky Kick and Sinistron. Can't remember at thr moment if there were any other non-NEC/TTi releases. Who published Klax? I found it locally at a flea market, so it's likely not an import.
I can confirm Sidearms was available at my local RadioShack up north as i bought it brand new at the time before selling all my TG16 stuff to get a Genesis (dont judge me lol) I bought back my sold system few years after from the guy that bought it from me :)

JoshTurboTrollX

Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

madboom0522

Titles to complete... Caught them all....

Lochlan

Quote from: reno5 on 11/04/2014, 03:16 PMI can confirm Sidearms was available at my local RadioShack up north
But was it available as a French version with a French manual?  (Or was it a gray market item?)  Do you have any pics?

CrackTiger

Quote from: Lochlan on 11/04/2014, 06:35 PM
Quote from: reno5 on 11/04/2014, 03:16 PMI can confirm Sidearms was available at my local RadioShack up north
But was it available as a French version with a French manual?  (Or was it a gray market item?)  Do you have any pics?
Radio Shack in Canada was a different company than the USA chain and up here, many didn't follow the typical store design/catalog and brought in all kinds of games from different sources. I had to get my Mother to pick up the Turbo Sidearms for me during a trip to Washington state. I already had Sidearms Special, but wanted to see what the chip version was like, wanted a game I couldn't get otherwise and it was fun to play on my Express.

I'm pretty sure that NEC/TTi confirmed to me during phone conversions and letter replies that the third party games weren't available in Canada. I know WD definitely confirmed it and told me that they were working on setting up Canadian distribution connections (their Sega-CD games were available in Canada, but the early ones could have been imports). At least WD did direct-mail sales. Otherwise I don't know when I would have been able to experience Exile and CF2.

During a trip to Seattle, shortly after SFII' was released and during the week that EGM first announced that SFIIT was in the works for SFC, I found Exile and Vasteel at a game store, but only ad enough money to buy one. I made the right choice and got Vasteel, which received way more play time than Exile, which I eventually ordered direct.

neutopia6

Yeah, when they stole my 50 TurboGrafx games and my Turbo Duo, they left my five boxed games, one if them was Bonk three, I already took a picture for you guys if you send me a link to make it a proper size and file type I'll gladly contribute.

madboom0522

Quote from: neutopia6 on 11/04/2014, 10:59 PMYeah, when they stole my 50 TurboGrafx games and my Turbo Duo, they left my five boxed games, one if them was Bonk three, I already took a picture for you guys if you send me a link to make it a proper size and file type I'll gladly contribute.
At least they left one of the harder to get titles....
Titles to complete... Caught them all....

reno5

Quote from: Lochlan on 11/04/2014, 06:35 PM
I really don't remember if the box had any french on it as i was a kid and didn't care about the box and trashed it :(. I don't think i had 2 manuals for it but might only be my memory.

DragonmasterDan

When did the requirement for games sold in Canada to have French instructions go into effect? Or is it simply voluntary for the publisher?
--DragonmasterDan

jelloslug

Quote from: Nulltard on 11/05/2014, 08:52 AM
Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 11/05/2014, 08:16 AMWhen did the requirement for games sold in Canada to have French instructions go into effect? Or is it simply voluntary for the publisher?
Ever since the People's Republic of France conquered Canada in the Revolutionary Poutine War of 1869.
The cheese curds flowed in the streets that fateful year.

reno5

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 11/05/2014, 08:16 AMWhen did the requirement for games sold in Canada to have French instructions go into effect? Or is it simply voluntary for the publisher?
Since July 2007 every video games released in Québec must include description on the box + instructions in both language. Before that, it was not required but most game company like Sega and Nintendo did it. Third party games where often only in english

It is a law in Québec only.

reno5

Quote from: Nulltard on 11/05/2014, 11:25 AMSounds made up. :lol:
Ya protecting french language is kinda a big thing here. I live up north (5 hours north east of Montreal) and english is not popular at all here (and never used beside in tourism related jobs etc). We all learn it in school but people do the minimum has they think they will never need it.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: reno5 on 11/05/2014, 11:44 AMYa protecting french language is kinda a big thing here. I live up north (5 hours north east of Montreal) and english is not popular at all here (and never used beside in tourism related jobs etc). We all learn it in school but people do the minimum has they think they will never need it.
I recall there being some issue with the Dreamcast title "Seaman" and its release in Canada because he didn't communicate in French
--DragonmasterDan

NecroPhile

He'd respond to French, but it'd make him do nothing but whine, eat cheese, and soon surrender.  Game over.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

reno5

Quote from: NecroPhile on 11/05/2014, 03:50 PMHe'd respond to French, but it'd make him do nothing but whine, eat cheese, and soon surrender.  Game over.
haha good call :)

Seaman was not a problem then and would not be one today. Only the box and instruction needs to be in french. In game language is not regulated. They prefer games with french content but it is not required by law.

Most 360, PS3, WII etc games now comes with multiple languages.

grache

TurboGrafx-16 HuCard Collection: 7.3% complete    7 / 96 titles