@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

What kind of fmv does Sailor Moon Collection use?

Started by CrackTiger, 10/10/2015, 12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrackTiger

The window is kinda small, so I'm guessing that it's not HuVideo.

Is it a fourth unique format of PCE fmv?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

TurboXray

Got a link or video? I don't remember any FMV being associated with this game.

Arkhan Asylum

If you play enough of the Minigame for each Scout and proceed through all the endings, you see an FMV of their transformation scene, and crap.

It's 16 color video, for sure.   with awesome like, 12khz audio, lol.

I can send you an Ootake BRAM file so you can load up and go, maybe. 

I don't feel like capturing video.

It's probably just some goofy MPEG1 playback rehash or some nonsense.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

CrackTiger

I've only kind of fooled around a bit in both Sailor Moon games.

I was looking at videos of various PCE games, looking for decent cinemas and Sailor Moon Collection has some pretty cool stuff. Then in the middle of some menu navigation, a short fmv clip popped up.

I can't search for a nico video right now, but you can see it at 13:40 in this video:
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

TurboXray

I took a look at the ISO and there are five videos. They're longer than that clip though. It appears to be 16 colors, fixed palette for the whole thing (per movie stream), and some ADPCM audio at the end of the frame. Though it doesn't appear to be enough to sync with the video. Maybe it's buffered. The frame is 16x16 cells but only 16x13 cells (8x8 pixel cells) are shown. Whatever they were trying to do, they probably had issues getting it to work. The video frame packet size is 8k. That's enough to do 15fps (huvideo driver maintains a steady 122k per second).  Whether it does or not, I dunno.

Given the wasted space per frame packet, there's enough room a palette, palette map, and decent audio for each frame (1.5k room for it). You only need 266 bytes @ 15fps for 8khz ADPCM (there's enough room do to 16khz too). The palette map would be about 104 bytes (you only need nybbles stored). Palette data per frame would be 288byte packed (256 color entries). But for whatever reason, they don't.

The animation in the game is sub-optimal as well. That is to say, the storage method. Most of it is stored as full frames, and read into memory as full frames. They could have simply compressed those screen as redundant tile data in memory. Nothing fancy at all. That would have allowed a lot more animation. I chalk this one up to minimal effort and probably some lack of knowledge.

Arkhan Asylum

The audio doesn't need to sync up too much since it's just transformation sequences and such.

The giant full screen cutscenes are still pretty nice looking.   Remember, this is a Sailor Moon mini-game compilation, targeting 12 year old girls.

Going over the top on the visuals doesn't exactly matter to them lol
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

TurboXray

Yeah, maybe. But I wouldn't call it over the top. At least with the in game stuffs. I mean, I'm not talking about anything super complicated - just basic stuff that even early CD developers did (redundant tiles in frames are stored as references, since they are already in vram). Anyway, considering the effort they put into the SNES beatem-up, and this being 1994, I excepted some a little more in line with what devs were doing on the PCE at the time.

Arkhan Asylum

If Sailor Moon Collection were more than just 5 mini-games, I'd see your point.

but since its Jan Ken Pon, Trivia, "butt bumping", etc., there's not much really going on.  They probably made the whole game in like 3 weeks lol. 

I wish they put a damn beat em up or SM fighter on PCE.   SFC really got the best Sailor Moon games.

johnnykonami

I'm a big fan of the Mega Drive beat em' up, myself.