Tricky Kick video review I just released

Started by iretrogamer, 06/23/2017, 09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iretrogamer

Hey guys,

I realize I'm not a regular poster (and that it's most often to sell something from my collection or talk about a video I made) but I really wanted to share with you my first Turbo review in some time.
This is a game that has always fascinated me because of how charming yet difficult it is. Over the years I always find myself returning for a play despite knowing I won't get far. Hopefully the video captures that haha.

I wish everyone well and hope you enjoy the video. Hopefully I can make a better effort at posting on this forum just about Turbo love!

Feedback is always welcome.

Thanks

Tyler

esteban

You picked the perfect game because nobody ever talks about Tricky Kick... not even the "cinemas" with wacky storylines!!!!

:)

JOKE: Tricky Kick is best played on TurboExpress.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Bardoly

Nice video review!  I'd like to see you do another one.

CrackTiger

Quote from: esteban on 06/24/2017, 04:25 AMYou picked the perfect game because nobody ever talks about Tricky Kick... not even the "cinemas" with wacky storylines!!!!

I don't think that I've ever played Tricky Kick on anything but an Express or GT. Most of my play time with it was as a rental from a store which had imports, since Tricky Kick and Sinistron weren't distributed in Canada. They also imported Cadash and Parasol Stars.

When my Mother asked me if there was anything I wanted her to pick up during a trip to Washington, I asked for the TurboChip Sidearms, even though I'd had Sidearms Special for years. I just wanted to make good use of the opportunity to get to experience a version of a game that I couldn't otherwise, was curious how the chiptunes turned out and thought that it would be cool to play on my Express while walking across town.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

PRO TIP: To avoid frustration in Tricky Kick, you should stay fully hydrated.

IMG

Quote from: guest on 06/24/2017, 11:31 AM
Quote from: esteban on 06/24/2017, 04:25 AMYou picked the perfect game because nobody ever talks about Tricky Kick... not even the "cinemas" with wacky storylines!!!!

I don't think that I've ever played Tricky Kick on anything but an Express or GT. Most of my play time with it was as a rental from a store which had imports, since Tricky Kick and Sinistron weren't distributed in Canada. They also imported Cadash and Parasol Stars.

When my Mother asked me if there was anything I wanted her to pick up during a trip to Washington, I asked for the TurboChip Sidearms, even though I'd had Sidearms Special for years. I just wanted to make good use of the opportunity to get to experience a version of a game that I couldn't otherwise, was curious how the chiptunes turned out and thought that it would be cool to play on my Express while walking across town.
You are crazy! You gotta try the game on a larger screen...the sprites are still "tiny", but at least you can appreciate their design a bit more.

Sidearms chiptunes are great and hold up very well to the Red Book, IMHO.

Dicer

Michirin9801

I've been playing TurboGrafx-16 for about a handful of years now and I've never EVER heard of this game... Like, seriously, never crossed my radar! I suppose I should give it a shot...

xcrement5x

Tricky Kick is a fun one, kind of like BeBall in the amount of addictiveness it has, and if you are puzzler fan you will get your moneys worth. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

PunkCryborg

Awesome review! I love this game and glad to see it getting some attention. It's very fun, unique and challenging. Definitely one of the best puzzle games on the system

glazball

Great review, enjoyed it!  Always nice to see Texas represented (your shirt :)  Tricky Kick is my favorite puzzler on the TG.  Like you said, there's just something about it that always draws you back.  It pretty much stays in my TurboExpress.

One of the "hardest video games ever" though?  I wonder if that's really true.  I guess people can TAS a bullet hell shmup to make a playthrough look easy, but there's no cheating your way through TK.  Still, I can't help but feel that with enough time, all of the puzzles can be figured out.  Right??  Are we going to have to get Google Deepmind on the task?
glazball's game collection and wantlist

esteban

Quote from: glazball on 06/25/2017, 09:00 AMGreat review, enjoyed it!  Always nice to see Texas represented (your shirt :)  Tricky Kick is my favorite puzzler on the TG.  Like you said, there's just something about it that always draws you back.  It pretty much stays in my TurboExpress.

One of the "hardest video games ever" though?  I wonder if that's really true.  I guess people can TAS a bullet hell shmup to make a playthrough look easy, but there's no cheating your way through TK.  Still, I can't help but feel that with enough time, all of the puzzles can be figured out.  Right??  Are we going to have to get Google Deepmind on the task?
Ha!

Tricky Kick is not impossible, but, just like Blodia/Timeball, folks who don't have patience just "give up" instead of trying a bit more.

Of course, I happen to like the puzzle genre...I don't begrudge someone who doesn't like puzzlers not sticking with a game.

But folks who profess to like puzzlers?

iretrogamer

Quote from: glazball on 06/25/2017, 09:00 AMGreat review, enjoyed it!  Always nice to see Texas represented (your shirt :)  Tricky Kick is my favorite puzzler on the TG.  Like you said, there's just something about it that always draws you back.  It pretty much stays in my TurboExpress.

Thanks for all the feedback and comments guys. Really happy you dig the video

You know, I don't think there is ANY documentation of someone completing this game. I dare say it's impossible!

esteban

Quote from: iretrogamer on 06/25/2017, 02:34 PM...

You know, I don't think there is ANY documentation of someone completing this game. I dare say it's impossible!
Even if there was a video, there is the possibility that someone "streamlined" the process by using savestates in an emulator, which is totally lame because real men have to replay the entire level (and/or manually enter passwords)...

...of course, there probably is a list of all the passwords out there...so someone could cheat by instantly jumping to the last stage.

CHEATERS BE CHEATING.

RESPECT: Anyone who plays through all the damn stages as the game designers intended for it to be played (namely, in one sitting on a TurboExpress before the batteries are drained).

glazball

Well to be fair, the game is over 25 years old.  It's quite possible, and probable, that some people finished it back then but never went to forums or YT 25 years later to post screenshots or videos.

Any poor kid that did beat the game in the 90's, if he or she isn't hopelessly insane by now, may just want to leave that in the past!

I really hesitate to say it's impossible.  Just.... tricky!
glazball's game collection and wantlist

NecroPhile

Nice review.  I've tried playing it a few times but always give up after the first couple easy stages.  Yes, I am le dumb.

If anyone really wants to find some guides or longplay videos, search for it in moon runes.  I'm sure some JP peeps have gotten somewhere with this toughie.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!