@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

CD-Rom2 Troubleshooting / audio CD loads, game test burn fails

Started by tjsnh, 11/02/2016, 10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjsnh

So, got a TG-16 with the dock and CD-ROM2

The CD drive is reading audio disks fine, without any issues, no odd noises (in fact, it's near silent), no issues jumping between audio tracks etc so I'm fairly confident the internals and laser are in ok shape.

I've failed to read any of the 10 attempts I've made to burn a game disc though, as I had hoped to validate everything worked correctly before hunting for 'original' game discs.  (hangs on "just a moment" with the disc spinning and occasional laser-seeking noises)

Is it a safe bet that it's an issue with my burns, and not an issue with the drive?

Are there any specific types of CD-Rs folks are having good luck with?
(I've been using some fairly basic verbatim discs, imgburn bin/cue method, and an LG internal sata drive)

tbone3969

The #1 issue with burning Turbo CDs off the net is making sure you are burning a good ISO.  Use Turbo Rip to verify that the ISO you are using is proper.  If you need a proper image of a game PM me and I can send you one.  Also make sure you are burning with IMG Burn.  That's the best burning program IMO.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

tjsnh

I tested the burned disc with the magicengine emulator and it loaded up ok, which is what makes me think that something about the discs themselves or my process are causing an incompatibility.

And just to be clear - I'm not looking to pirate any of the games or anything, just trying to verify that the drive works properly and loads games at-all before I start expanding my collection into no-longer-cheap original game discs.

tbone3969

Quote from: tjsnh on 11/02/2016, 11:01 AMI tested the burned disc with the magicengine emulator and it loaded up ok, which is what makes me think that something about the discs themselves or my process are causing an incompatibility.

And just to be clear - I'm not looking to pirate any of the games or anything, just trying to verify that the drive works properly and loads games at-all before I start expanding my collection into no-longer-cheap original game discs.
Just because it loads in Magic Engine doesn't mean it's a perfect rip.  I know from first hand experience.  I have burned many coasters trying to get Turbo CD rips to play on my DUO.  I have now perfected my method.  Use NightWolve's program called TurboRip.  If that program recognizes the game ISO then it's legit.  Do not use Magic Engine as it will play disc ISOs that are not exact copies of original CDs.  I know this from testing it myself.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

tjsnh

Great tip - I'll throw a disc at turborip and see what I get.

NecroPhile

Have you tried a music CD?  If it can't read 'em, you'll know the drive has issues.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

tjsnh

NecroPhile

You even said that in the OP...... I am retarded.  :oops:

I don't burn all that many discs, but I've not had problems with bad downloaded rips in years.  I'd guess you need to try different media (I've had the best luck lately with Taiyo Yudens and before that I was using some Kodak gold archive discs from the 90s*), or your drive needs new caps and/or pot adjustments.

* - time for Klax!
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

tjsnh

So I cracked it open and took a look inside - removed the board just enough to peek in with an LED flashlight, didin't disconnect the ribbon cables or anything - and it's still got the stock/yellowing gear , which leads me to believe the entire unit is stock. This is what I was expecting, as my source hadn't even turned it on in a very long time.

How would I know if the caps need to be redone? Other than age, would there be any obvious symptoms? For example, would it simply not power up etc etc?

Update - I got it to load a test burned game disc, kindof, for a few seconds. It loads up a glitched screen then the title screen for the game. Push run to start a new game, gets about 10 seconds in, and quits back to the systemcard 2.0 screen/menu.

Is it a safe bet that it's the discs and not the drive?
(Still planning to get the stock gear replaced, and other questions about how to know if I need a recap remain)

tbone3969

tjsnh

Burnt audio CD playing as good as a stamped commercial disc.

Upon further reading online it may be related to the disk image I had. It was a .cue and .bin without the .wav files , so it might not have been a proper rip. If anyone has a source for known-working images feel free to shoot me a PM.

tbone3969

I will not be able to share any ISOs with you until I get home tonight.  Again if you just use TurboRip it will tell you if the file is legit or not.

tjsnh

Turborip is crashing for me, unfortunately - tried that.

tbone3969

Try this link.  It was crashing for me too then Nightwolve sent me this alternate download link.

https://www.ysutopia.net/software/TurboRip.zip

tjsnh

That one worked.

It recognized the game (Valis III has been my test burnt disc since it'll work without the SS3.0 card) and ripped an enormous amount of files - the normal track2.iso plus a .wav AND an .iso for all the tracks up to 36, then only wavs for 37-62, then an iso and wav for 63 audio track in addition to creating a .cue

Neither the original burn nor the burn I just tried to make from the turborip results are loading reliably in the CD-ROM2 however.

wildfruit

Yay to nightwolve for a win 10 compatible turbo rip!

tbone3969

Then it's your CD unit.  Time for a re-cap and maybe a new laser.

tbone3969

Quote from: wildfruit on 11/02/2016, 04:29 PMYay to nightwolve for a win 10 compatible turbo rip!
I second this.  Love his program.  Let's donate to his PayPal.

tjsnh

Ick.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but from an electronics standpoint if any of the caps were blown wouldn't there be other more severe symptoms? Failure to power on, problems reading audio CDs, so on and so on?

wildfruit

Quote from: tbone3969 on 11/02/2016, 04:37 PM
Quote from: wildfruit on 11/02/2016, 04:29 PMYay to nightwolve for a win 10 compatible turbo rip!
I second this.  Love his program.  Let's donate to his PayPal.
You're right I really should. I meant to ages ago after patching YS IV.
Well I just tried to and PayPal says this
IMG

tjsnh

Further troubleshooting -

On the advice of one of my buddies, I slid the laser head assembly back to the edge of it's track, and powered on the unit to verify that it resets the laser to the center. It does, and now it's loading burnt games - BUT - load times are incredibly long, and it hangs (that is to say I give up waiting after 5-10 minutes) after a few of the intro cut scenes in the couple of games i've burnt for testing.

Anyone seem these symptoms before?

Keith Courage

some of these systems are not that great at reading burnt CDs. It could be that your CD drive is functioning completely fine but that it's having issues because you are not using any real discs. Also, the type of media you use with a burnt discs can have a very large effect on if it's going to work well or not. try to stay away from cheaper media such as verbatim or Memorex. some drives will work better with Sony, TDK, or taiyo yuden brand CDs.

wildfruit

Now I've got turbo rip working again I don't mind ripping one of my games for you and burning it to a 650 mb Taiyo Yuden disk just to see if you fair better before shelling out on CD-Rs. I bulk bought some incase they disappear from sale & ive had good success with them in PCE & PS1

tjsnh

Quote from: wildfruit on 11/03/2016, 07:29 PMNow I've got turbo rip working again I don't mind  ripping one of my games for you and burning it to a 650 mb Taiyo Yuden disk just to see if you fair better before shelling out on CD-Rs. I bulk bought some incase they disappear from sale & ive had good success with them in PCE & PS1
I'll PM you