Ys Special Edition - 2001 -> 2016 version plans.

Started by the haze, 01/25/2016, 02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the haze

Who remembers this little project I made?
http://electrohaze.com/duo/ysse.shtml

I was contacted recently about it from someone wanting to download it (the link was broken).
Link fixed, but it got me thinking...

I could revisit this project and make it WAY better now.

Since the creation of this project back in 2001 I learned a lot about audio, started DJing and so on... I am thinking of doing a much higher quality audio remaster and remix of all audio... bring this up to a 2016 audio standard.

I will need to get as many Ys soundtrack audio files as possible to make this project possible. Old 128kbps mp3s will simply NOT DO.

Anyone have access to lossless Ys soundtrack files?  or at least 320kbps mp3s?

Who would like to hear a 2016 version of this?

esteban

Wait, I'm on my phone. No timestamps in my app. But this can't be a coincidence.... I posted earlier today about playing "Ys Special Edition" and how much fun it was (back in 2001-2002).

Answer: Yes
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

the haze

Quote from: esteban on 01/25/2016, 04:28 AMWait, I'm on my phone. No timestamps in my app. But this can't be a coincidence.... I posted earlier today about playing "Ys Special Edition" and how much fun it was (back in 2001-2002).

Answer: Yes
Really? 
It's so nice to be remembered...
I didn't think I really did much at the time, (and still don't) but I guess some people enjoyed it.

For now I am just going to have one mission.  To gather as many versions of each track released as possible...   

Once I am satisfied I will start the remixes. 

I plan to remix / remaster each track individually as LIVE recordings using turntables, DJ mixer and Japanese sound system recorded directly to .wave.  then edited again in a wave editor... 

My hope is to make each track extended and as long as possible, featuring as many remixes each track as I can in each mix.

The biggest problem is CD space. 80min for redbook audio max.
Many spoken dialogue tracks from the game eat up a lot of redbook audio time of the CD. A few have music intro's and fades, maybe I can trim a little of each one without effecting experience of the game to gain some time.  For the original version I cut the warning audio track to a 1 second dummy track to gain those valuable minutes..

This project will take quite some time...
I also don't even know how make the CD working again, but I think with this tool it shouldn't be a problem.. https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=1604.0 

I think when the time comes I shouldn't have any problems recreating the CD with info from the forum. The method I used in 2001 isn't available to me anymore.

Maybe I look over my archives and see if I can do a test mix of one song before boasting anymore about this project to make sure it's a viable one.

the haze

I am trying to get lossless versions of tracks now....
so far, no success...

the haze

I totally just ordered used copies of:

Ys Perfect Collections 1 & 2 on CD!

No sound quality loss now!

Sarumaru

Heh, didn't we just talk about this on fb? lol. Yeah man, I remember downloading your files a long ass time ago. A new version with  cleaner sound would be nice!

the haze

Quote from: Sarumaru on 01/29/2016, 12:42 AMHeh, didn't we just talk about this on fb? lol. Yeah man, I remember downloading your files a long ass time ago. A new version with  cleaner sound would be nice!
Ha ha... prob did. but it's hard to know who here is on facebook and who isn't... trying to cover all my bases. :)

Yes... starting to gather all the audio right now. I will need to select the proper software for remixing and remastering... we will see if what happens! It's going to take some time....

Any suggestions?

IvanBeavkov

I just saw this thread and this sounds like a cool project.

haze, I have the following albums I could rip to FLAC for you if you don't have them.

Ys Heaven's Sanctuary OST - J.D.K. Band (This one is probably my favorite)
Ys Heaven's Sanctuary OST - Electric Orchestra
Ys & Ys II Eternal Original Sound Track
Symphony Ys '95
http://i67.tinypic.com/zycxo9.jpg

the haze

Quote from: IvanBeavkov on 01/29/2016, 08:45 AMI just saw this thread and this sounds like a cool project.

haze, I have the following albums I could rip to FLAC for you if you don't have them.

Ys Heaven's Sanctuary OST - J.D.K. Band (This one is probably my favorite)
Ys Heaven's Sanctuary OST - Electric Orchestra
Ys & Ys II Eternal Original Sound Track
Symphony Ys '95
/zycxo9.jpg
Thanks a lot man!   I don't have lossless versions of those. But, with those... I should have enough tracks to get going! 

I did do some testing with a set of tracks I had. The original plan I had. (using my existing dj set) will not be possible. So, now I am looking at remixing software to use instead. I will have to cut up the tracks to connect, remix and extend them.

The bottom line is, all the songs from Ys, although awesome. Are way too short. I think only around 30min on the YS 1&2 disc is actual music.  Songs like in the field in ys one... when you are playing the game you hear that track over and over and over again. I want 6-8min tracks not 3 min ones.

Thanks for your support, PM sent.

NightWolve

You wanted more source music available so you can experiment with another fan arrangement. I think Josep's Falcom Music Channel should be quite helpful to you. I recently gave him raw Ys IV tracks as he cares about high quality and has pretty much put almost everything up that Falcom released! He's been a machine and I'm quite surprised with how much soundtracks he's put up with a thorough level of detail like composers/arrangers/etc.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz7eke4JGlbtc11_6mmA7ew
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz7eke4JGlbtc11_6mmA7ew/playlists

I'd say you have almost everything available at your fingertips. You could listen through that, find what you like, and maybe ask him for the raw redbook source if the Youtube encoding is not to your liking or even find the original soundtrack if you wish (as you already have in some cases).

Good luck!

EDIT: While we're on the subject, I thought I'd pass along some other great fan arrangements from Ys fans via Dwelling of Duels. Dunno if you ever knew about this so it might interest you.

IMG

https://www.ysutopia.net/forums/index.php?topic=376.0

I found an updated link as their domain changed. Here's everything they produced:

https://www.dwellingofduels.net/duels/09-03-ys/

My top 5 as listed:

the haze

Wow NightWolve!

At the moment I got just enough to start the testing process... and now you put more source material up for me to get?!  ARRR!  :mrgreen: 

Seriously though, thanks. I will be looking at that stuff for sure, the more the better! I love new arrangements.  =D>

I will continue to post to this thread to report my progress. 

For those who are interested about software...
I have tried out "Mixed In Key's Mashup 2.5." Although it does get the job done, I got board with the app in a few hours. There just isn't much to it.  I might use powerful wave editor like Goldwave, to EQ tracks, and boost levels, the pull them into Masup 2.5 and rearrange them... or Adobe Audition looks a lot more powerful.  I am going to try to get a copy of that installed and give it a try. I am pretty good with Adobe apps, and I have used it a little before.

I just finished connecting two versions of the "Palace" track from Ys 1,  and it yielded pleasing results. However. I can't wait until I get a few more HQ versions of this track. Hopefully there will be a little more to work with than a 1-2 min of song of mostly melody. (which is hard to mix).

Much more can be done for sure, I just thought it would be fun to post a mini progress / status update!  8)

Click the link below the screen capture to listen to my test.
This link will remain up for an undetermined period of time.

IMG
https://electrohaze.com/music/
ys1%20-%20palace_test.mp3

esteban

NightWolve

Liked! Almost tuned out (too much original starting off), but continued to give it a chance and it did get better/worthwhile!

the haze

Quote from: NightWolve on 01/31/2016, 03:26 AMLiked! Almost tuned out (too much original starting off), but continued to give it a chance and it did get better/worthwhile!
I agree with you NightWolve... It's just a little test after all! :)
For the moment, because the original is so short, I just left it as the intro.  I fully intend to do a lot more to the track than this. The next cut will have more interesting stuff in the beginning, I promise. :) Thinking of laying down some techno beats or something. Ironically... this is the last track that needs extending as you spend hardly any time in the Palace at all. lol

Quote from: esteban on 01/30/2016, 11:54 PMHey! I want to listen.

404 Not Found
Sorry about this, for some reason the server decided to poop itself after I posted this. I can't access it either! :(  I just sent a mail support for my server....   Maybe check back in a few hours or so to see if it's back up.

esteban

OK, the link worked on my laptop.

Yeah, at first I was like...this is the original version (which is a great track, of course).

:)

the haze

Quote from: esteban on 01/31/2016, 03:22 PMOK, the link worked on my laptop.

Yeah, at first I was like...this is the original version (which is a great track, of course).

Clearly I need to start the track with something totally new and different before playing out the same old track...  :-"

I just spent a big chunk of my weekend gathering and installing audio editing apps.  :dance:

Now time to watch some Youtube videos on how to use, some of the yet to be learned features of said apps....  ](*,)

Oh, hey you guys... while you wait, why not listen to my 30min cassette tape? This is a much better representation of my DJ/ music ability.  Side A is by me, several tracks and some samples mixed in, but only 30min!  :mrgreen:

Cassette Tape Recorded at Electrohaze Studios. Saga, Japan!
IMG
http://electrohaze.com/tape/

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

the haze

Quote from: NecroPhile on 02/01/2016, 10:20 AMHeh, good ol' Bob Ross.
Yes!  Bob Ross works well with downtempo music!  But, I will not feature Bob Ross in Ys Special Edition 2016. lol. 

JoshTurboTrollX

pcengine-fx.com is becoming DarkCityProductions!!!

I'm having flashbacks to 1999!!!  :D

YAY!!!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

the haze

:oops:
 :dance:
 =D>
 8)
 :shock:
 :lol:

What can I say, I am feeling extra nerdy these days. 
Which means adult ADD web development.
With 2001 web development skills.  ](*,)

Random projects, such as in this Ys Special Edition...
I have now collected ALL Ys remixes ever officially created. 99% are lossless audio.
Now, I don't know what to do with it.  :-({|=

I spent a few hours playing around cutting up "The Field" in Mashup 2.5. Having some moderate success... but I am still not happy with the results... Need filters, or a new background track. Something other than the same remix...

Doing a DJ set is one thing, remixing a track is totally different.... as I am learning now.
As you can see by this image, it's unfinished...
IMG

the haze

Who wants to listen to a new remix test?

I dug a little deeper into the software..
Now it seems my computer is too slow for all the layers of audio I am adding...   :evil::twisted: :evil:
I want a new computer.  :| :-({|= ](*,)

A lot of work yet to do, in order smooth things out and extend the track. I wasn't planning on going the route I did, but this is what I ended up with for a first attempt.  :-k

Much more has been done than the previous sample of the "Palace" which was just me clipping two tracks together.  :dance:

Download and have proper listen, tell me what you think...  [-o<

Link will be available for a unspecified period of time.
> Field Test <

SkyeWelse

I really like this project and I'm happy it's getting a revival. I had not seen it before and I'm looking forward to playing the game again with an all new arranged soundtrack. We've decided to do a similar process of providing an optional patch for Ys Celceta PC (originally in Chinese) which would offer alternate soundtracks and possibly include additional Ys IV related music queues since there were not too many tracks in the game and a lot of repeats. Also, there is TONS of Ys IV music spanning 4 different versions of the game, SFC, DUO, PS2, VITA.

Just to clarify since I don't think there is much news about it elsewhere on the net other than our forum, but there is an English translation project for the game in the works, but we preferred to try and see if we can insert a brand new translation instead of the XSEED version if we can find a willing Chinese to English translator. The entire game is pretty much already hacked, a debug mode has been found, and we're currently working on a 60 FPS tweak as well. It'll be without a doubt the definitive version of Ys IV Celceta by far, much nicer than the Vita version.

-Thomas

brizio

Waiting for the 2016 version, let's check the previous one!  :D

IMG
IMG

esteban

Quote from: brizio on 02/26/2016, 12:31 PMWaiting for the 2016 version, let's check the previous one!  :D
IMG
IMG
Wow, I don't remember that booklet/back insert!

I'm not sure if I have that...I think I have only the disc.

the haze

Quote from: brizio on 02/26/2016, 12:31 PMWaiting for the 2016 version, let's check the previous one!  :D
IMG
IMG
Excellent!  I wonder how many are out there?

I didn't keep track of how many I made, also... the files are on the site for anyone who who wants to make a new one.

Any thoughts on the sample? Love / Hate it?

Maybe I'll work on it tonight! :)

JoshTurboTrollX

We should work with Turbo Reproductions or the Turbob Xpress group to get these out there!

Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

wildfruit

Wow this is great stuff. Ys soundtracks are my favourites. I can't believe I didn't notice this before.

bonq

The track sounds good so far. Something seems off a little but I can't put my finger on it.
Definitely off to a very good start though.

-bonq

elmer

Hadn't read this thread until just now.

I can't comment on how well the music fits with Ys, but it sounds well done, and I like it.

However, it immediately made me think of the LadyHawke soundtrack (
I totally love Alan Parsons, and I totally love the LadyHawke movie.

Still not sure that I think that the two of them really go together that well, though.

But ... very, very, very 1980s!  :wink:

the haze

Quote from: bonq on 05/05/2016, 01:15 PMThe track sounds good so far. Something seems off a little but I can't put my finger on it.
Definitely off to a very good start though.

-bonq
I agree for sure, something does sound a bit "off" it is just a test run after all!   Glad you had a listen! Hopefully, I'll get some more time to work on this soon!   Work has been super crazy, and now it's finally slowing down... I can work on this again!

Want new laptop, this is slow.......