@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Dragon Spirit Expanding Thingies in Level 3

Started by nopepper, 05/31/2017, 05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nopepper

Alright, I think I could get to Level 6's boss without getting hit, which would mean I could actually beat the fucker. But I always get hit a couple of times by those damn expanding (plant?) thingies that seem to have a random pattern and continuously follow me throughout the level and always mess up my run.

Saw a longplay where the player was able to actually destroy them using fully powered 3headed mode, but that doesn't seem to work for me. So, how do you deal with those? Any tricks?

It's these bastards:

IMG

Ex_Mosquito

As a rule on Dragon Spirit/Saber you're powerful enough with a single head, also the hit box is significantly smaller sticking to a single head, making dodging easier. I've not completed Spirit but I've 1-life'd Saber keeping a single head the whole game, it's way easier this way. Also if you're referring to a longplay on YouTube, beware of the channel 'world of longplays', 99% of their replays are fake, they use save states and re-record. It's so blatantly obvious it's insulting that they don't even mention it in the description. The most blatantly obvious one is their 'longplay' of the arcade game Dragon Blaze. The way he dodges the bullets shows he has zero knowledge of the game and he hangs around the centre of the screen and does impossible dodges and barely uses the dragon shot (the whole point of the game...), that if you'd play the game you would NEVER play it like he is in the video. Strangely no one in the comments can picks up on it, so bizzare.

nopepper

I was indeed aware of assisted long plays, which is one of the reasons I brought this up here.

I generally stick to 2 heads, as I feel it is the best compromise between power and maneuverability, but that replay made me think that perhaps I should try 3 heads, as nothing I do has been bullet proof in that section. The most consistent strategy is to stay in the upper left or right corners depending on where they are chasing you, but I haven't been able to test this strategy thoroughly.

The level 6 boss is the biggest drag for me, as if I don't get to it with at least 2 heads and full power, I can't seem to find a pattern to dodge his fire.

Maybe the better question would be: is there a strategy to dodge Level 6's boss?

Thanks for the tips and suggestions!

NoSexGex

Quote from: Ex_Mosquito on 05/31/2017, 07:32 PMAs a rule on Dragon Spirit/Saber
Never knew there was another game to Dragon Spirit, thanks for the reference. So much PCE goodness to enjoy
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

Ex_Mosquito

Yeah it's Japanese only though. It's the better game imo.

GoldenWheels

Jeez I am embarrassed to admit I never thought to NOT try to get three heads.

I haven't played it in a while, don't the head functions as like, a life bar? That is, if you have three and get hit don't you go to 2?

nopepper

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 06/02/2017, 11:38 AMJeez I am embarrassed to admit I never thought to NOT try to get three heads.

I haven't played it in a while, don't the head functions as like, a life bar? That is, if you have three and get hit don't you go to 2?
The heads and life bars are independent of each other. You start each life with 3 in your life bar, regardless of how many heads you have at any point in time. If you get hit, your life bar goes down by 1, independent of the number of heads you had when you got hit.

I've had this game in my collection for so long, and have always felt it was ho-hum, slow and ugly, so never gave it much of a chance. But once you get into it, especially because of the music and elegant level designs, you realize just how intense it is. This might have the best overall chip music on the system...

Top tier stuff.

GoldenWheels

Quote from: nopepper on 06/02/2017, 01:53 PM
Quote from: GoldenWheels on 06/02/2017, 11:38 AMJeez I am embarrassed to admit I never thought to NOT try to get three heads.

The heads and life bars are independent of each other. You start each life with 3 in your life bar, regardless of how many heads you have at any point in time. If you get hit, your life bar goes down by 1, independent of the number of heads you had when you got hit.

I've had this game in my collection for so long, and have always felt it was ho-hum, slow and ugly, so never gave it much of a chance. But once you get into it, especially because of the music and elegant level designs, you realize just how intense it is. This might have the best overall chip music on the system...

Top tier stuff.
Ah ok, thanks! Maybe I'll give this another go tonight.

xcrement5x

Yeah, I had the same mindset, I didn't realized it increased the hitbox as well with more heads.  Might have to give it a go again myself soon.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

geise

Quote from: Ex_Mosquito on 05/31/2017, 07:32 PMAs a rule on Dragon Spirit/Saber you're powerful enough with a single head, also the hit box is significantly smaller sticking to a single head, making dodging easier. I've not completed Spirit but I've 1-life'd Saber keeping a single head the whole game, it's way easier this way. Also if you're referring to a longplay on YouTube, beware of the channel 'world of longplays', 99% of their replays are fake, they use save states and re-record. It's so blatantly obvious it's insulting that they don't even mention it in the description. The most blatantly obvious one is their 'longplay' of the arcade game Dragon Blaze. The way he dodges the bullets shows he has zero knowledge of the game and he hangs around the centre of the screen and does impossible dodges and barely uses the dragon shot (the whole point of the game...), that if you'd play the game you would NEVER play it like he is in the video. Strangely no one in the comments can picks up on it, so bizzare.
That is probably because most of his subscribers / viewers are just a bunch of credit feeders.

o.pwuaioc

I've found it easier with three heads. Just stay under those vines (or whatever they are) until the last second and loop around the screen, it'll take a second for it to start chasing, and you can move to the next one.

FWIW, I find it difficult not to get hit if I don't have leveled firepower.