OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Convert HDMI to VGA

Started by ClodBusted, 06/20/2017, 07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClodBusted

Hi guys, I'm searching for a quality converter, so I can use HDMI sources (my Laptop Vostro 3360, Raspberry Pi, etc.) with my old TV (Loewe Concept L26, native resolution of 1366x768).
My laptop has a VGA output next to HDMI, but since it handles the TV like a generic monitor, it will only output full PC range RGB (0-255), while the TV expects limited TV RGB range (16-235). Thus very light grey will turn into full white, and very dark grey into deep black. The graphics drivers (Intel HD 4000) had been updated but still do not allow any changes in RGB range for "generic" monitors.

This is frustrating, since even my Xbox 360 and PS3 allow for limiting the RGB range when being connected via VGA or YPbPr/Component Video, so it matches the TV's range of 16-235.

The converter should provide some input for external power (I've heard these devices consume more power than HDMI can natively provide), be it via USB or a DC input.
It should be able to extract the sound channels from the HDMI source and output it to analog Stereo. SPDIF would be nice, too, but isn't a must-have.
HDCP support would be nice, but isn't a must-have.
No noticeable lag please, I want to use it for games, too.
Picture quality must be spot on in 720p and 1366x768 resolutions.
Should be able to act either as a TV or a generic PC monitor, so the computer's graphics chipset will enable the Full/Limited RGB range option.

Do you have any expericences with such converters, be it good or bad?
Any warnings?
Any recommendations?

And yes, I'll keep that TV.

Gypsy

Recommendation: buy a new tv. It's less hassle and then you can just use hdmi.

I've actually never had to use any of my processors in this way. I would figure though that they could do the job, but I can't replicate your situation to test.

ClodBusted

Some day, there'll be a new TV, for sure. The current one is in possession of my girlfriend, and since we just moved, there are more important things to spend big money on than a big TV. For its age, the old Loewe has next to no lag and the screen looks quite good, even on SD sources. It also has pretty much any sort of input connection available I could think of, just missing a digital video input in the form of DVI, HDMI or Displayport.

TL DR: I want a converter, the TV will stay.

Gypsy

For a really good solution, it might be a similar cost. Especially if you could get a tv/monitor off of cl or similar for a decent price.

There are of course a lot of crap converters out there, can't say I've tried any of those though.

If you are patient on eBay, you can probably find a solid processor for $60 or less, but I'm not sure what your price range is for this. Also maybe a bit cheaper if you get a processor that uses DVI inout for HD (all you would need to to is get a dvi/hdmi cable). Everything I have is too expensive to recommend for something like this or doesn't take 1080p.

If you are interested, I have a hp w2207h I'm not using. Wouldn't want much more than shipping cost. It's not quite 1080p but 1680 x 1050 and has an HDMI input. Was working fine the last time I used it playing Wii U.

xcrement5x

I bought this for my Mom when she needed the reverse: (VGA PC to new HDMI monitor/TV)
http://www.gearbest.com/cables-connectors/pp_325648.html
And it has worked fine so far.  You can always buy a cheap one and see how it goes, if it's crap you're only out about $10.  It might be okay for the time being. 

Going the "good" route will run you a chunk of change probably.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)