Help with Valis 1

Started by Bugo3s, 11/05/2017, 12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bugo3s

Greetings everyone, I am really enjoying my PCE, trying to clear every game i bought.
I am having trouble finishing Valis 1 and 2 though.

Valis 1 i can play pretty much flawlessly until the very last stage..that's when it all goes bad :(.
I end up losing a LOT of health on the spiked platforms or the archers that are just before those platforms.

The boss then kills me and I lose all of my weapons and lose every life i've collected up to that point.
Do you guys have any tips that can share with me?

EmperorIng

Valis is a pretty memorizer-heavy game. Memorizing where enemy spawns are, and killing them when they are just on screen (or in between attack patterns) is a must. I can't remember the specifics, but you will need to do a lot of high-jumps and sliding in the spiked-platform area. I think there is at least one or two health pick-ups in the stage, so learn where they are.

As for Rogless, I would say you have one feasible shot against him, and that is your first time. I think that the sword laser weapon (that shoots the multiple swords out) is the best weapon, followed by the default shot powered up. You should learn to slide out of the way of his attacks. You have magic as well - you can use it on the barrier (which I don't think does all that much) or one of the attack spells - to whittle him down a bit. I would save the magic for the second phase.

Sadly what I remember most is that the best strategy is to lose as little health as possible on the stage and just mash away on the boss. Valis games in general are sort of cheaply-designed, and their final bosses - aside from Valis II on the X68000 - almost require you to be fully-powered up, or else you won't have enough attack strength to beat them. It makes it feel pretty unfair.

I do remember Valis II on the PCE gives you a fighting chance against Megas if you have died, but that game is so easy, except for one or two moments, that it doesn't really matter. Glames is terrible on Valis 3, because if you die, or get caught in his random attack patterns, you have no chance to win. Valis 4 is just pure bullshit from start of game to finish.

PukeSter

One good tip is to make sure to switch off the power when you get a game over. It'll give you a chance to play a better game like Bonk or Legendary Axe 2 :)

Bugo3s

I played tonight and tried to play very safe around the platforms. I used magic on the final boss (barrier, as you suggested) and .. the game froze on me as soon as the boss was done.
I skipped every cut so it took me around 20 mins at most, I will be trying again today but man if it hurts.

I mainly play games that have girls protagonists or at least girls that you can play as*, I am a sucker for waifus as  kids nowadays put it..so yeah Bonk and Legendary Axe are not even in my collection!
I wanted to clear all the valis games before moving onto Faucette Amour but Valis 1 is giving me so much troubles...

*execption being Dracula X, but even then as soon as I beat the game with Richter I started a slow playthrough with Maria.

ClodBusted

I second that Valis 1 is a game that rewards memorization. I'm stuck with the second form of the last boss as well.

However, quit chasing after the skirts of pixelized girls, dude, and give those other games mentioned a try, too.

PukeSter

Quote from: guest on 11/06/2017, 06:35 AMI second that Valis 1 is a game that rewards memorization. I'm stuck with the second form of the last boss as well.

However, quit chasing after the skirts of pixelized girls, dude, and give those other games mentioned a try, too.
This. And fausette amour isn't much better. Slow, bland, and a very underutilized gimmick.

Don't put these degenerate weeb games on a pedestal just because the pc engine cd addon lacks good platformers. It's great you played rondo but if it was for the 12 year old girl I'm really skeeved out dude.

The brothers duomazov said fausette amour was better than super castlevania iv. Oh how unsurprisingly wrong they were.

Browse the forums and see what else is worth trying. There is so much more to offer.

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 11/06/2017, 08:29 AMThe brothers duomazov said fausette amour was better than super castlevania iv. Oh how unsurprisingly wrong they were.
How drunk does one have to be? Good lord.

PukeSter

Quote from: Gypsy on 11/06/2017, 09:12 AM
Quote from: PukeSter on 11/06/2017, 08:29 AMThe brothers duomazov said fausette amour was better than super castlevania iv. Oh how unsurprisingly wrong they were.
How drunk does one have to be? Good lord.
Quote from: Brothers DuomazovNow, SC4 and SGNG are certainly the best SNES games ever made--yet Faussete Amour outdoes them both. FA has no unnecessary spinning rooms and no adventure-halting slowdown, and its stripped-when-hit star is a cute girl rather than a hairy fellow. So, with this one game, the PC Engine officially defeated the entire SNES library.
http://www.thebrothersduomazov.com/2010/02/faussete-amour.html

Good site, I learned a lot about the library from there. But some of the opinions can make me turn my head.

NecroPhile

Maybe you should grow a sense of humor and/or read the entire review.  It's obvious that was in jest, seeing as it was immediately followed with "Seriously though, I enjoy Faussete a heck of a lot more than I thought I would upon reading the many lukewarm (at best) reviews of it....."
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Gypsy

Definitely seems to be firmly tongue-in-cheek.

Arkhan Asylum

Helpful advice:  Stop sucking.

ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

macarena.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

nopepper

Quote from: guest on 11/06/2017, 12:19 PMMaybe you should grow a sense of humor and/or read the entire review.  It's obvious that was in jest, seeing as it was immediately followed with "Seriously though, I enjoy Faussete a heck of a lot more than I thought I would upon reading the many lukewarm (at best) reviews of it....."
I love their reviews; funny, witty, and very well written (which is not very common in fan sites). But I have to say I disagree with their opinions on a lot of games.

But more importantly, who are these guys? Are they members here?

Oh an Valis to the OP...can't help there, as other than Valis 3, every time I start one of them I get bored and long for better games, such as the ones already mentioned, or New Adventure Island, or Son Son II, etc.

NecroPhile

Quote from: nopepper on 11/14/2017, 06:09 PMBut more importantly, who are these guys? Are they members here?
Past and/or lurking members.

Ai Cho Alexei (red text) is nat, IvaNEC (yellow text) is runin, and Duomitri (chartreuse text) is guts.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

turboswimbz

Quote from: guest on 11/14/2017, 06:13 PM
Quote from: nopepper on 11/14/2017, 06:09 PMBut more importantly, who are these guys? Are they members here?
Past and/or lurking members.

Ai Cho Alexei (red text) is nat, IvaNEC (yellow text) is runin, and Duomitri (chartreuse text) is guts.
I'm pretty sure at least one of them still Lurks. Haha.  I wonder how many views those reviews still get?
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

EmperorIng

They were one of my first sources for PC Engine reviews along with the excellent videogameden, and one of the sources that convinced me to buy the system - so I imagine there are others who do the same. Though now I don't agree with a number of things they wrote.  8)