OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Nirgends

Started by GUTS, 06/10/2005, 08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GUTS

Has anybody out there played this game?  I can't find info on it anywhere other than maybe a small blurb that isn't helpful.  Is it enjoyable at all?  I have a few other PCFX games that I love like Boundary Gate and Last Imperial Prince, so a little Japanese doesn't scare me.  For some reason Nirgends has always fascinated me, but it's always spendy as hell.

Nutribrain

I have played it several months ago when I got it. I think it's a dating sim combined with a soso 3D dogfight game inbetween. But as I don't understand japanese I wasn't that much amused after some hours play.
As far as I can remember it has nice graphics.
But at all I havn't seen a FAQ for this game.

GUTS

Cool, finally somebody who has actually played it!  How are the 3D dogfights?  Pretty primitive looking?  Do they use any polygons or is it just sprite scaling?  I'm mainly fascinated by this game because it seems to be about the only game on the PCFX that used any type of 3D effects.  The dating sim part sounds weak though, I don't know any Japanese either so that would be a problem for me unless it was the super simple type where you just keep mashing the button.

Keranu

People need to start translating PC-FX games more because I would love to play at least one dating sim on the system one day. There are a few other non-dating sim games I would like to play in English as well. (Last Imperial Prince, Blue Breaker, Farland Story FX, etc...)
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Nutribrain

Yes the 3D dogfight part is somewhat cheesy, scaled bitmaps just like Battle Ace for the SGX. The instruction booklet is quite thick and discribes several maneuvers for the dogfight part, as it would be a simulation. But it isn't. It's also very easy at least for the first two or three levels.
The dating sim part is like most dating sim stuff, just push the button till you're finished.
If I remember right I saw a japanese FAQ on this game. I've it bookmarked at my personal computer, right now I'm at the office. So I'll probably look it up and post it here...

@Keranu: Farland Story FX is very playable even when you don't know any word of japanese. I completed it last year without understanding anything.

GUTS

Interesting, that would make it the only game of it's type on the PCFX I believe, I can't think of any other game that used a 3D perspective (even if it's cheesy like Battle Ace).  Would you say it's better than what the Super Grafx could do, or does it look about the same?

So far the most graphically impressive PCFX game I have played I think would be either Boundary Gate for it's huge, smooth scrolling dungeon mazes or Last Imperial Prince for the really large sprites.  I haven't played Zenki yet but I hear it's pretty impressive too.

Nutribrain

Yeah, Zenki FX is really impressing, graphicwise and also gameplaywise. I also like Zeroigar and Chip Chap Kick very much. Farland Story FX is also one of my favorites. Have you tried Miraculum? It looks like a normal PCE RPG but looks very solid as it's done my RayForce, the same ones who made Startling Odyssey and Star Breaker.

BTW, I found the japanese page which had something on Nirgends. You can read it at http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?lp=ja_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fhomepage3.nifty.com%2freich5%2ftop.htm, translated by Babelfish. So don't expect too much. You'll have to  select the "East file emperor" and the "capture". There you'll find some dogfight strategies for the game. This site got a redesign so some FAQs like for Rururi Rarula are missing.

Yes Nirgends is somewhat unique when it comes down to the mixture of different gameplays, like dogfight with dating sim. As I remember right, the graphics are on par with the SGX. Probably I'll give it a try within the next days so that I can give you a more detailed description of the game. I moved some weeks ago and haven't finished to set up everything...

Keranu

Quote from: "Nutribrain"@Keranu: Farland Story FX is very playable even when you don't know any word of japanese. I completed it last year without understanding anything.
That's very good to know because I haven't played any PC-FX games yet, but I have created a small list of games for the system that I really want to play. I should have figured it didn't require much Japanese since the first one for PC-88 (or was it PC-98 that had the first?) and it didn't have much important text.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

GUTS

Quote from: "Nutribrain"Yeah, Zenki FX is really impressing, graphicwise and also gameplaywise. I also like Zeroigar and Chip Chap Kick very much. Farland Story FX is also one of my favorites. Have you tried Miraculum? It looks like a normal PCE RPG but looks very solid as it's done my RayForce, the same ones who made Startling Odyssey and Star Breaker.

I've never been able to afford Zenki, but Zeroigar is alright.  I was expecting more I guess when I bought it so it was slightly disappointing.  Miraculum was a solid game, but like you said the graphics were fairly normal so I didn't play too much (since I couldn't understand what was going on).

Chip Chap Kick is another one I've been curious about for ages, I think that might be my next PCFX purchase.  I love the bubble bobble style games.

Thanks for the link, you saved me some money since I'll probably pass on buying the game now.  It still sells for like $60 so I'm not shelling that out for a dating sim/after burner clone, hah.

Emerald Rocker

Chip Chan Kick RULES.  It's one of those games that, like, maybe it's not the greatest thing ever, but it's done so well and it's got such a "magic" feel to it that it's hard to believe that it's a real game and that you're really playing it.

Zenki is kinda so-so.  It's awesome in its own way (at times it's unbelievably cool) but the control is so stiff, and it's so short, and the enemy diversity so light, and the action so sporadic, that it falls far short of all the great 16/32-bit action platformers.

I gotta play me some Nirgends now.  I'm all up for any game that over-taxes the system it's on, ambition rules.  BOOYAH
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

GUTS

Hah that's you Zig, isn't it?

Emerald Rocker

>_>

<_<

I just know how much you love these faces.  ^_^
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

td741

(Sorry for bumping an old post)

Quote from: "Nutribrain"Yes Nirgends is somewhat unique when it comes down to the mixture of different gameplays, like dogfight with dating sim. As I remember right, the graphics are on par with the SGX. Probably I'll give it a try within the next days so that I can give you a more detailed description of the game. I moved some weeks ago and haven't finished to set up everything...

I've just gotten my PCFX yesterday, and I finally got to try the PCFX demo disks included in my two Super PCEngine magazines (sorry I might have the name wrong since I'm writing this from the office.)

I played the Demo of Nirgends that was included, and I did get to the dogfight section.  I'm not sure if it's a limitation of the demo, or I wasn't equipping my fighter properly (I really don't know Kanji and what little I know of Japanese is quite rusty).

Anyway, I have no clue what's going on in the dogfight. :P  The screen seems fairly dark.  I see a control panel with a radar.  There's  scaling water on the bottom of the cockpit's window, a Green center panel where a target will pop up occasionally.  Umm... That's all I got to see.  I didn't see any ennemies appart from the radar.  Oh, and when I hit a button my fighter turned into a robot (and back).

Am I missing something? :P

Thanks.

port187

Quote from: Keranu on 06/15/2005, 03:52 AMPeople need to start translating PC-FX games more because I would love to play at least one dating sim on the system one day. There are a few other non-dating sim games I would like to play in English as well. (Last Imperial Prince, Blue Breaker, Farland Story FX, etc...)
So did one of the homebrew dev guys ever released a translation of a pc-fx game on the net that you know of?? that would be a dream come true! I really want to get those anime babes undressed!! hehe

NecroPhile

Oh Yeah - Giggity Giggity!  There's nothing like double d's, saucer sized eyes, and the voice of a twelve year old.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

port187

QuoteOh Yeah - Giggity Giggity!  There's nothing like double d's, saucer sized eyes, and the voice of a twelve year old.
If you see it that way, that's your thing.. you're probably in to chicks with male voices.. my thing with this all is owning an ('expensive' piece of gaming history for my collection) pc-fx that I want to play some games on while almost all games are anime dating sims, where the whole point/goal is to undress those chicks but you have to know indepth japanese to achieve that then hey why not.. that makes it a challenge to get it done! and having translations would actually if it's to make all these games even more playable so I can be part of it a little more then I am already! while you make it sound like I am some kind of pedophile for wanting to play these games..
And besides that whole voice thing I never saw twelve year olds with bazookas like those I came across ;)

PS: If there were more real / good / normal games for this console I would probably not even give these dating sims a minute of my time like I did on the 3DO previously but in this case its a huge part of the pc-fx history.

NecroPhile

Settle down - no offense intended port187.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing any of the dating sims and I didn't mean to imply otherwise.  If this type of game were only of interest to pedophiles, then Japan would have to be full of pedos, considering the popularity and volume of dating sims made for every system.  I said that they have child-like voices; in no case does that mean that they are children.  As you noted, twelve year old girls don't have double d's - and I'll add that nobody has saucer sized eyes. 

I haven't played through any of dating sims, but that is because of my lack of Japanese language knowledge and not because of the game's content.  I've never played any of the digital comics for the same reason - I'm not really interested in playing any story based games when I don't have a clue what's going on.  I would be all over any translated PC-FX game (or PC Engine game), dating sims included.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Keranu

Quote from: port187 on 01/11/2007, 08:52 AM
Quote from: Keranu on 06/15/2005, 03:52 AMPeople need to start translating PC-FX games more because I would love to play at least one dating sim on the system one day. There are a few other non-dating sim games I would like to play in English as well. (Last Imperial Prince, Blue Breaker, Farland Story FX, etc...)
So did one of the homebrew dev guys ever released a translation of a pc-fx game on the net that you know of?? that would be a dream come true! I really want to get those anime babes undressed!! hehe
Nah not yet. Sabre or someone else was working on a translation for Lil Red Riding Hood, but I forgot what happened to it.
IMG

port187

QuoteSettle down - no offense intended port187.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing any of the dating sims and I didn't mean to imply otherwise.  If this type of game were only of interest to pedophiles, then Japan would have to be full of pedos, considering the popularity and volume of dating sims made for every system.  I said that they have child-like voices; in no case does that mean that they are children.  As you noted, twelve year old girls don't have double d's - and I'll add that nobody has saucer sized eyes. 

I haven't played through any of dating sims, but that is because of my lack of Japanese language knowledge and not because of the game's content.  I've never played any of the digital comics for the same reason - I'm not really interested in playing any story based games when I don't have a clue what's going on.  I would be all over any translated PC-FX game (or PC Engine game), dating sims included.
Didn't mean to come over so harsh, it's just that I had to endure that crap from several people now and I was getting tired! still it would be a dream come true having translated pc-fx games! I don't understand why they never showed up while I think it's quite easy to modify as it's just probably language files that need translation.. the hard bit is finding a japanese guy that speaks good english and has major intrest in the pc-fx and ownes the pc-fxga.. or vice versa! anyway it sounds like we are waiting for the winning lottery ticket :P