@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

What is this game?

Started by _Paul, 02/21/2009, 04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Paul

I've had someone mail me trying to identify a game he played a long time ago. After a few tries I'm now stumped, so I thought I'd enlist the aid of everyone here. This is how he describes it:

I've been searching madly for a game I played long ago on the TG-16. I remember the game somewhat clearly, but not clearly enough to remember its name. It was a Horizontal 2D shooting side-scroller, very similar to Violent Soldier(AKA Sinistron)or even R-Type.

Nothing too colorful or cartoon-like. It was more like R-type and Violent Soldier. The ship was pretty simple if I remember correctly. Lots of aliens and the ship that is player controlled is pretty fast.

Definitely on a card and a US release.

I don't believe there was any parallax now that you mention it. It starts off looking very much like Alien Crush in a way.

These are the rejected suggestions: Ordyne, Paranoia, Heavy Unit, Side Arms, Barunba, Armed F, Darius, Aeroblasters, Double Ring, Rabio Lepus, Salamander, Gradius, Lost Sunheart, Cloud Master, Rock On, Dead Moon.

Any ideas?

ccovell

I can't think of any US HuCard, other than Sidearms, which had a very fast-moving ship, and Psychosis.

Your friend either has to search through game photos, or re-remember if it was a different system, like the MD/Genesis, or PCE.

TurboXray

Quoteand the ship that is player controlled is pretty fast
I'd guess Side Arms too. The player ship is quick and have tight controls.

nat

The game that springs immediately to my mind is Aldynes. Although he's claiming the one he's thinking of is a US cart.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Keranu

The only one that I can think of that mostly fits what he's looking for is Psychosis, but that's already been rejected.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

_Paul

He has said no to Side Arms. I think he must be mistaking a game on another system as we've been through about everything.

albinoMithos

NecroPhile

If the dude doesn't agree that he's misremembering some aspect of the game, here's every U.S. shooter and why they don't fit:

Already Rejected: Aeroblasters, Dead Moon, Ordyne, Psychosis, R-Type, Sidearms, and Sinistron
Colorful and/or Cartoony: Air Zonk, Fantasy Zone, and Magical Chase
Not a HuCard: Cotton, Forgotten Worlds, Gate of Thunder, Lords of Thunder, Meteor Blaster DX, Monster Lair, Super Air Zonk, and Terra Forming
Not a Horizontal Shooter: Blazing Lazers, Cyber Core, Dragon Spirit, Falcon, Galaga '90, Raiden, Soldier Blade, Space Harrier, and Super Star Soldier

That just leaves Deep Blue, but it's dirt frickin' slow until you collect a few speedups.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

Gaiares!

For the Genesis!
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

_Paul

I've sent that list to him NecroPhile (also mentioned Gaiares!), will be interested to hear the reply.

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 02/22/2009, 01:05 AMThat just leaves Deep Blue
i bet he meant that one :lol:
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: ccovell on 02/21/2009, 08:29 AMI can't think of any US HuCard, other than Sidearms, which had a very fast-moving ship, and Psychosis.

Your friend either has to search through game photos, or re-remember if it was a different system, like the MD/Genesis, or PCE.
Sidearms wasnt a ship though ... it was a person!

I still think it was Gaiares and he has the wrong system.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

rolins

I would've guessed Aldynes too. Zero Wing kinda matches up but its import and a CD. Are you sure this guy wasn't playing a Sega card on the SMS?

_Paul

Well he seems to have gone silent...I wonder if it was on another system and he's too ashamed to own up  :?