What is your video game tech level?

Started by bust3dstr8, 11/04/2008, 12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How good are ya?

bust3dstr8

Rate yourself with how savvy your are with all things relating to video games.
10 being a soldering, modding freak like Nat.
1 being an Oldschoolgamer, who can't change a microswitch in his Neo cab.
Clowns Suck
IMG IMG

Ceti Alpha

I gave myself a nice fat "1". lol

...though I did take apart and clean an AvenuePad 6. hehe  8-[
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

bust3dstr8

I gave myself a 3, the knows just enough to be dangerous level.
Clowns Suck
IMG IMG

NecroPhile

I voted '1'.  I can hook 'em up and clean various bits, but I don't have much interest in learning to replace caps and such.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

OldRover

8. I can repair many machines but am not quite a master...yet. :D
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

MissaFX

I rated myself a 5.  I've made my own copper boards, modded systems, made a supergun, etc. I just have no formal training and have mostly taught myself from reading books like "The Good Book".
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

Turbo D

I voted 8 because I know a lot about games and systems. I also do modding! I haven't modded many systems aside from my own though, so I don't have enough experience to be at any higher level.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

rolins

I voted for 3. I can barely understand a schematic but if you show me where to solder I won't have any problems.

guyjin

I chose 2 because, while I can patch game controller cords that my cats have chewed, I failed the only console mod I ever tried.

nectarsis

I voted 1 as I can load a game, and power on the console ;)
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Tatsujin

a seven. do a lot of electronic work (worked as a hardware developer in the past), but except of some SNES mods, super guns (MAK), rapid fire circuits for old arcade table tops, power-banks for PCE-CDROM-LT combo etc. i didn't do a lot of video game related things (not even did a s-video mod for my duo yet).
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

TH0R

is there a 0 ?... :|...i've opened and cleaned stuff and maybe 2 very minor repairs.... i wanna get   a soldering gun though and give some mods a shot, cuz i don't know anyone who gets down like this. i'm fairly technical maybe i'll do alright...region mod for starters? i've got a light mod for ps3 controller that needs soldering/desoldering skills also

Arjak

I gave myself a two because I once changed the cartridge slot on an original model NES. The system still doesn't work correctly and now games mysteriously only work if you don't push the cartridge down after insertion, but hey, I tried! ](*,)

I recently bought another NES that has been fixed up more professionally, so here's hoping I get lucky...
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Ceti Alpha

I guess I didn't count the softmods I did to my xbox. Though the emulators was with Missa's help.  :mrgreen:
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

gundarN

A four, possibly three and a half.
I've modded systems and sticks and messed around with arcade cabinets a bit.

Lord Thag

I'm a seven or an eight. I can take apart and repair most things, I only run into problems when soldering tiny things off of a commercial board comes into play, mainly because I don't have a decent soldering iron. I may not know that the matricating hyperflux dematroogulizer is what the little yellow thingumy is called, but I can (usually) tell that the yellow thing is the problem and order a new one. My buddy Tony does all the soldering though. I'm all thumbs.
Dodging little white bullets since the Carter administration

Keranu

Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

blueraven

I put my n00B self at a 78)  I've fixed 10 or so gameboys, replaced at least 50 PSP screens and/or motherboards, and mod-chipped about 5 PS1's and a PS2. I started with a box-lot of Genesis systems, and I got into TG/PC Engine repair by default; all these broken units keep showing up!

I'm by no means an expert, but due to the amount of broken consoles I own (30+) I feel obligated to learn as much as possible. I'm currently working on a RAM repair that is causing me to question my sanity.