@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

What the hell was Nintendo thinking?

Started by Zeon, 03/26/2009, 03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SNKNostalgia

I remember getting both the PS1 in Aug 95 and the N64 Sep 96. I have to say, the PS1 completely blew the N64 away. The N64 was just a big let down when it came down to it. It just didn't deliver like I thought it would. All there was to play when it came out was Mario 64, Pilot Wings and then Wave Race in November. I was all hyped up about KI2 (KI Gold) and it came out in March. UGLY ASS FUCKING POLYGON BULLSHIT BACKGROUNDS!!!! Then there was Stars Wars Shadows of the Empire, HOLY FUCK that game was foggy ass. Speaking of N64 and Fog, OH SHIT don't get me started. I remember seeing an EGM Magazine cover saying "What is wrong with Nintendo?" at this time. Now, I will be honest, the system got a shit load better. Still, what a damn bad start. Another mention... Blast Corps  :lol: . Zelda, Mischief Makers, Golden Eye, Perfect Dark and a few other titles were fun games and all, but didn't even compare to the many good titles on the PS1 and the Saturn as well (counting the Japanese titles).

Also, what is with all this RE hate? Tank controls, that is the reason why people don't play the game? How open minded of everyone. I feel bad for the ones missing out on playing these games for what they really were when they came out. It was just different and fit the game well. It was more about clever evasion, good use of ammunition and healing items which added to the panic horror feel to the game.

Here is a nice comparison of PS1 vs N64 first year or so:

PS1 - Air Combat, Ridge Racer, Tekken, SF Alpha, Philosoma, Doom, Suikoden, RE 1, Dark Stalkers, Loaded, Space Griffon VF-9, Warhawk, and Project Horned Owl. Not to mention I got Arc the Lad and SF Alpha 2 imported, which were great. I enjoyed a lot of these titles when they came out. Some aged well, and some ... not so much.

N64 - Mario 64, Pilot Wings, Wave Race, KI Gold, Golden Eye, Zelda OoT, Mystical Ninja and Mischief Makers (favorite). I do like some of these games and all, but ehhhh. Yes, the N64 got better with some titles later on, but the PS1 got even better. I don't hate the N64, but I was mostly disappointed with the over all game selection and quality in comparison of what it should have been.

As far as the Saturn goes, I never got one until 97-98 when Sega of America gave up on it. Still, the Saturn is a great system, especially if you import for it. I enjoyed playing the Capcom and SNK releases. Some early US games I liked a lot was Guardian Heroes, Virtual Cop 1 and 2, Dark Savior, VF2, and Shinobi Legions.

Seriously though, the PS1 was my favored system US and import wise. Just full of fun games: FF7, RE 1 and 2, Alundra, MGS, Castlevania Symphony of the Night ( I started with the Japanese version which I thought was a much better release), Arc the Lad 1 and 2 (also imported and then got the US versions), Suikoden 1 and 2, FF Origins, Star Ocean 2, Ace Combat 2, Parasite Eve 2, Philosoma, Einhander, Tobal 1 and 2, Lunar 1 and 2, Front Mission  series (2, 3 US, and Alternative), Xenogears and FF Tactics. It seems like a lot of people that dislike the PS1 compared to the other systems just never played most of these games as they came out.

Then came the Dreamcast which had some great games when it came out, but that is another generation.

Duo_R

Zeon,

check this out. Check out this little chubby little bastard of a controller. HORI couldn't even make a better N64 controller.....

What freaks me out about it is the HUGE analog stick, and then the Dpad that you have to have a long curved left thumb to hit.

IMG
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Duo_R on 04/05/2009, 03:07 AMZeon,

check this out. Check out this little chubby little bastard of a controller. HORI couldn't even make a better N64 controller.....

What freaks me out about it is the HUGE analog stick, and then the Dpad that you have to have a long curved left thumb to hit.

IMG
Id hit the Dpad with my weener.

but then again what N64 game actually used the Dpad.

Lol
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

guyjin

QuoteId hit the Dpad with my weener.

but then again what N64 game actually used the Dpad.

Lol
Tru dat. that controller almost looks usable.

Duo_R

KI Gold is the only one I can think of at the moment......pretty sure there was a MK game but I recall it blowing chunks.
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

geise

I don't know what the hell Nintendo was ever thinking.  Not even Hudson could make me buy an N64 when I found out Star Soldier 64 was going to be on it.  I was thinking "yeah we'll see..."  Well I didn't see shit cause that game blew major ass.  Only games I have ever liked on the N64 was Sin and Punishment, Bangai-O, and Mischief Makers.  That is mainly because I'm a Treasure whore.  Well...used to be...

Arkhan Asylum

They coulda pulled Mischief Makers off on an SNES anyways, so I just pretend thats what Im playing
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!