OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

"hugh" cards?

Started by guyjin, 06/21/2002, 09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guyjin

been watching the 3rd episode of PCEngineFXTV, and I was suprised: When describing fatal fury special requires a Arcade card and adaptor, you refer to the cards as "hugh" cards.

I had always referred to them as "who" cards, but now I wonder if that is correct. If the cards are, as I presume, named for hudson soft, shouldn't they be called "huh" cards? How do the Japanese pronounce "hucard"?

PCEngineFX

Good question there...I don't think this topic has ever come up in any message board (that I've seen over the years)...mostly because everyone that I've talked to about it says "Hugh" not "Who".  I think that "hugh" is the most common pronunciation at least for Americans...for the Japanese I'm not sure....

Aaron Nanto
Webmaster pcengine-fx.com
www.pcengine-fx.com

The ultimate resource for NEC console information!

// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG
IMG

guyjin

This might make an interesting poll:

how do you pronounce "HuCard"?
1)"hugh" card (U in Universe)
2)"who" card (U in neUtopia)
3)"huh" card (U in hUdson)
4)"turbochip"
5) other

Brasilpce

Hehehe, cool topic! :D

With my Portuguese accent, I'll choose number 3: "huh" card (U in hUdson).

Take care,
Brasilpce

esteban

Quote from: Brasilpce on 07/03/2002, 07:26 PMHehehe, cool topic! :D

With my Portuguese accent, I'll choose number 3: "huh" card (U in hUdson).

Take care,
Brasilpce
HEY brasilpce!  How are you doing?  It's been a long time since we chatted... how have things been going? Also, do you foresee any updates to your website in the near future?  A bunch of your game reviews were invaluable for some of my purchases over the last 2 years! 

:D
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

jlued686

I've always pronounced it "Hugh".  I believe that's how they were pronounced in the old Turbografx promo videos...I think.

Keranu

I usually pronounce it as "Hugh" but the more correct Japanese way of saying it would be "who" cards, but I don't know if they say that or not.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"