OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Super cheap Duo (and PCE, I suppose) extension cables

Started by Mobius, 04/11/2008, 06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

I was in dire need of an extension cable for my Duo, since playing games sitting on the floor with my neck craned back gets old.  But I was a little skeptical of cables branded specifically as Duo/PCE extension cables.  I mean, the connectors look an awful lot like standard old PC connectors, right?  $15 or $20 seems like overkill.  Someone here confirmed that they are just standard 8-pin Mini-DIN connectors, so I hit up trusty monoprice.com and found exactly what I was looking for:

$1.53 Duo/PCE extension cables:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10215&cs_id=1021501&p_id=534&seq=1&format=2

I just did a quick search and found one other mention of this from last year, but I wanted to give it a little more attention to make sure everyone was aware of these.  Plus I just had a couple arrive today and can confirm that they do, in fact, work perfectly. =D>

Edit: Hmmm... Maybe this should go in the sales forum.

SignOfZeta

Yeah, its an old Apple Desktop Bus connector. That looks exactly like the one TZD sold for years. $1.53 is super cheap though. Excellent find.
IMG

Sparky

6 feet of extension cable for a $1.53!!!!... that is one sweet ass find man, thanks for sharing!!! :D

Turbo D

THats a great deal! It beats that massive chunk of change I paid to the old tzd for one  :evil:
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

TR0N

Damn i didn't know monoprice sold those and i have a account there too  :oops:

Oh well guess if i ever need another one i'll buy it there then.

That's where i got my component cable for the wii.Yeah it's third party,but it works well plus it's better then paying $30.00+ for the official ones  :wink:
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Keranu

I want to get one just because they're so cheap, even though I already have one! Actually I could use it for my PCE.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

COUNT SMRIFNACK

I'm going to order one of these for my Duo R.  The TG cable isn't a generic cable like the Duo/PCengine one is it?  That would be nice if there was a cheap alternative for it too.

turbokon

Awesome, I'm gonna order me a couple to so that I can actually play the turbo duo comfortly in my loft on my 50" projection TV.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

COUNT SMRIFNACK

COUNT SMRIFNACK

Got my cable in today.  It works perfect and makes playing much more comfortable.  No more worrying about yanking the controller port out of my duo!

VestCunt

Remember these cables won't work with your Duo Tap.  Of course, when they're this cheap, buying five of them is an even easier solution than Nat's extension-Tap mod!
Topic Adjourned.

guyjin

Quote from: guest on 05/10/2008, 03:14 PMRemember these cables won't work with your Duo Tap. 
Seriously? why not?

turbokon

Quote from: guest on 05/10/2008, 03:14 PMRemember these cables won't work with your Duo Tap. 
I just play it thru the duo tap using this cable and it seems to work.  However, I only had one controller plug into the duo tap.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

termis

Yeah, I've heard of this too.  I wonder what the technical explanation would be for that problem?

VestCunt

Quote from: guyjin on 05/12/2008, 09:36 AM
Quote from: VestCunt on 05/10/2008, 03:14 PMRemember these cables won't work with your Duo Tap. 
Seriously? why not?
I don't know, they just don't.  I received two different versions of these cables from TZD between 2004-2007 and they mess things up every time I try to use them with a Tap for multiple players.  Either use these cables for individual controllers before plugging them into the Tap or cannibalize an extra controller for Nat's mod.

IIRC, I also had strange problems when using these cables with a 6-button pads.
Topic Adjourned.

Platinumfungi

IMG

guyjin

Just tested out Aero blasters with one of these cables between the tap and the duo, and another between the tap and a controller, and another controller with no extension. I had no problems that i could notice, but I was doing this by myself.

VestCunt

It's only a problem with multiple players, you'll find yourself fighting for control of each others characters.
Official NEC accessories like the TG16 extension, TG16-to-Duo Converter and the MB128 don't have this problem and won't scramble the output of Duo Taps and Turbo Taps.
Topic Adjourned.

spenoza

By and large a cable is a cable. In order for inputs to be scrambled there would have to be signal cross-over. As long as you didn't use the extension on the tap, only on the individual players, that sort of things shouldn't happen. It may be an issue of shielding, because cable gauge is usually adequate even on the cheap stuff.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 05/31/2008, 10:48 PMBy and large a cable is a cable. In order for inputs to be scrambled there would have to be signal cross-over. As long as you didn't use the extension on the tap, only on the individual players, that sort of things shouldn't happen. It may be an issue of shielding, because cable gauge is usually adequate even on the cheap stuff.
So these do not work with a duo tap? Any worries about long term damage due to ungrounded pins if I were to buy some of these?
--DragonmasterDan

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 03/13/2009, 02:42 PM
Quote from: guest on 05/31/2008, 10:48 PMBy and large a cable is a cable. In order for inputs to be scrambled there would have to be signal cross-over. As long as you didn't use the extension on the tap, only on the individual players, that sort of things shouldn't happen. It may be an issue of shielding, because cable gauge is usually adequate even on the cheap stuff.
So these do not work with a duo tap? Any worries about long term damage due to ungrounded pins if I were to buy some of these?
I didn't order these ones, which are super cheap, but ordered from somewhere else (thanks again Nat for helping me out with the shipping fiasco :)). They're the same thing though. I've played with these through the DuoTap several times before with 2 player SF II CE without any problems. I'll have to check out DE and Bomberman.  :-k
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Duo_R

RG - where do you get your black Duo extension cables from?
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

BigusSchmuck

Sorry to bump such an old topic, but do these things actually work with the 6 button controllers through the tap?

bartre

yes, just tried it with my ave 6 pad and street fighter

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: bartre on 12/17/2011, 12:18 AMyes, just tried it with my ave 6 pad and street fighter
Ok, thanks thats what I wanted to know. $20 for a extension cable is a little extreme don't you think? ^^

nat

As long as you put the cable on the pad side of the tap and not the console side you should be fine.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

T2KFreeker

END OF LINE.

chany60126

Quote from: T2KFreeker on 12/18/2011, 06:01 PMHmm, any of these for the Turbografx? ](*,)
This is probably as good as it gets: http://www.bestpricecables.com/nec-turbo-grfx-extension-cable.html

I have never used one of these, but they look like the same pin-out size as T-16 controllers. Official NEC ones are a bit pricey online.

neoxeno

Quote from: chany60126 on 12/18/2011, 06:34 PM
Quote from: T2KFreeker on 12/18/2011, 06:01 PMHmm, any of these for the Turbografx? ](*,)
This is probably as good as it gets: http://www.bestpricecables.com/nec-turbo-grfx-extension-cable.html

I have never used one of these, but they look like the same pin-out size as T-16 controllers. Official NEC ones are a bit pricey online.
I've been using them for a while with no problem. Also, don't be fooled by the color of the cable on the pricture, the cables that they sent you are black.
Search : SUPERGRAFX
You may have meant to search for soporifics.

T2KFreeker

Quote from: chany60126 on 12/18/2011, 06:34 PM

This is actually not bad when you consider the alternative. I'd pay that compared to what the others are going for! Windy got me hooked when he sent me an official extension cable! A MUST have for sure. :mrgreen:
END OF LINE.