TurboGrafx-16 Controller Mod

Started by KnightWarrior, 10/06/2012, 01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KnightWarrior

I'm getting a Modded Duo Tap for my TurboGrafx-16s oon

I have 2 old Style TG-16 Pads with the big white connecter, How much is it to get it Modded for the Small 8 Pin Cable??

HercTNT

Not sure if anyone currently offers this mod. its been talked about a few times and from what i gather its not an easy thing to do. Maybe one of the techs will step forward and offer swappable cables or something.

MotherGunner

If you had a pair of mini-din duo controller repair cables all you would have to do is swap them out.  It's a 5 min mod.

Have you tried RedGhost?  He may be able to build you the cables.  Towards the near bottom of his page.

http://gametz.com/user/platinumfungi.html
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

KnightWarrior

His last log in was June 16, 2012

I don't know PMing im will work

HercTNT

well you can certainly try. takes a few seconds and wont hurt.

Keith Courage

You cannot just swap the cables if you have the old kind of turbografx controllers. The wiring is not the same. The only way it would work is if you have the newer TG16 controllers that have the smaller size white connector on the inside like pc engine pads do.

Also, you cannot swap cables from a 6 button pc engine pad to a Two button style pad. Wiring is different as well.

If your controller does have the smaller type connectors then you can buy one of these and solder it in directly to the controller. http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-pin-cable-for-repair-pc-engine-game-controller-pad-/120992192669?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2bb2589d

KnightWarrior

MotherGunner

Yes Keith is correct.  The cable swap is only easy if you have the later version TG controller.  On a side note, I used to have a setup where I swapped out the cables on two taps (one turbo, one duo).  Since the connectors are not the same there either what I did if I remember correctly is carefully cut the leads out with an X-acto knife.  The leads are nice is tight so they easily just plugged in (in the correct color order) without the need for solder.  This will make swapping the controller cables a moot point.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)