RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Type of drill bit for av jacks

Started by Shear_xear, 01/21/2016, 11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shear_xear

Hey everyone.  I am just starting to look into modding my Turbografx with component video out, and was wondering which type (or types) of drill bits I will need to install the av jacks during the mod.  Any other tools I may need to do the job right?  Thanks a lot!  Mike Shear

wilykat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_bit#Unibit

What I use for making round hole, I hand twist them (don't use power tool, speed and force may crack plastics) and I step them through until it's just the right size.

The only drawback is they aren't cheap.  I paid about $20 each for 2 sizes (one in 1/32" step to 1/2 inc and one in 1/8" step to 1 inch) and that was about 15 years ago.  I just checked, they are around $50 locally. Mine were made durable for use on metal, you can probably find a cheap stuff for softer materials from online.

Keith Courage

If you are installing panel mounted AV jacks like these
IMG
then just use a cheap set of general purpose drill bits. They will work just fine. I can't remember what size is needed but I just go up one size at a time until I find which one is large enough.

PunkCryborg

You can get a pack of 3 step down bits(unibit) from harbour freight for $9

PCEngineHell

The best way to drill the holes is to start off with the smallest bit, make a small hole, then work your way up in size until you reach the proper bit size for a  panel mount, widening the hole as you go with each bit size. Just trying to go right in with the larger bit right off can be risky because it can lead to cracking the plastic.

Shear_xear

Okay, thanks!  I figured that going full sized right away would be a risk, and I really don't want to crack the case.  Thanks for the help everyone!  Mike

schweaty

Spurred bits are best for plastic and step thru the sizes like stated above

ApolloBoy

I usually drill a pilot hole using a small bit, then I use a step bit to finish it off. I used to go through bits until I got the size I needed, but a step bit saves a ton of time since you're not constantly switching out bits.
IMG