OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Super Bonk Sucks!

Started by HercTNT, 12/08/2012, 12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HercTNT

Ok, i'm sure some of you are gonna hate this one, but i can't be nice about it. I love bonk. Bonk's Revenge is one of my favorite platformers. Super Bonk for snes sucks!!!  Why? you ask. Well, first of all: BONK SHOULD NOT HAVE SLOWDOWN!!!!  Super Bonk is a sloppy mess of slowdown. Music sucks, sound effects really suck, level design in shit. The way he slides around the game should be called "Bonk on Ice". The only bright spots in the game is the graphics are decent, and some of the mini games are fun. I made it to the last level with tons of lives and simply gave up. I could not stand one more poorly designed level. Hell, Bonk on gameboy was considerably better, despite lack of color and sound channels.

Duo_R

2nd one is slightly better
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

esteban

Quote from: HercTNT on 12/08/2012, 12:04 AMOk, i'm sure some of you are gonna hate this one, but i can't be nice about it. I love bonk. Bonk's Revenge is one of my favorite platformers. Super Bonk for snes sucks!!!  Why? you ask. Well, first of all: BONK SHOULD NOT HAVE SLOWDOWN!!!!  Super Bonk is a sloppy mess of slowdown. Music sucks, sound effects really suck, level design in shit. The way he slides around the game should be called "Bonk on Ice". The only bright spots in the game is the graphics are decent, and some of the mini games are fun. I made it to the last level with tons of lives and simply gave up. I could not stand one more poorly designed level. Hell, Bonk on gameboy was considerably better, despite lack of color and sound channels.
IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ParanoiaDragon

This is why I would someday like to reshape this game completely, & do it for the Turbo, that would rock.  For me, even the gfx suffer, due to a darker pallete, it needs brightening up, more like Super Bonk 2 was.  Waaaaaayyy too many minigames in each stage as well, it slows down the gameplay.  I hope someday I can work on some sort of port or something that fixes all these things, that would make me a happy camper!
IMG

fraggore

I haven't played it for years but I remember not likening it much and thinking the of engine version was much better.
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashemie

"All your base are belong to us"

PukeSter

I have Super Bonk on Virtual Console, and it's pretty bad.

esteban

I forgot to mention that I completely agree with HercTNT :pcgs:

jlued686

Yeah, it's not very good. But like Duo_R said, the second one is better. It's kind of like Bonk's answer to Super Mario World. I really like it.

Neither of them are as good as Adventure or Revenge, though.

MrFlutterPie

I don't really care for Super Bonk as well.  The gameboy ones aren't too bad but I agree the level design is so poor.

HercTNT

I have not played number two yet, but i'm not sure i want to. its gonna take alot for me to even consider going through that shit again. i'm thinking about giving the bonk remake for gamecube a try. i'm told its much better. for all the so called "advantages" of the super nes, super bonk is utter shit.

turbokon

Agree, it doesn't have charms that the TG16 version has.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

DragonmasterDan

I see Super Bonk as being about on par (possibly very slightly worse) than Bonk 3. There's slowdown, both got kind of lazy with level design. I agree completely that Super Bonk 2 is a vast improvement, too bad we didn't get it in the US.

With that said, Bonk's Revenge is the best game in the series.
--DragonmasterDan

Arkhan Asylum

I thought Super Bonk was fun as fuck.   It's so off the wall and goofy.   I played the shit out of it growing up.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

VestCunt

I enjoy Super Bonk if I just cruise through - no exploring, no bonus rounds, no monster stomachs. I like the graphics and the challenging bosses, the music is average, the level design is below average. Slowdown has never bothered me unless it's accompanied by massive flicker.
Bonk's Adventure and Super Bonk 2 are the best.
Topic Adjourned.

Arkhan Asylum

I like the game the most once you fly out of the t-rex nose and end up in space.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban

This thread half-inspired me to replay Super Bonk.

I popped the cart in.

Ha!

Maybe I'll give it another chance next year.

HercTNT

Like vestcunt said, if they had left out all that extra crap that really slowed down the gameplay and chopped up the levels it would have helped. but bonk still controlled shitty in my opinion. I also agree that the bosses were challenging and in the spirit of bonk. Super bonk though has just way to much wrong overwhelming the right. next bonk i want to play is bonks revenge on gameboy.

ToiletKid

I love all Bonk games,and the first Super Bonk is my favorite closely followed by Bonk 3. I guess I prefer the maligned ones...they're both a little crazier than the avg Bonk and I guess that's why they're my favs (and I love Big Bonk).

esteban

Quote from: ToiletKid on 12/16/2012, 01:16 AMI love all Bonk games,and the first Super Bonk is my favorite closely followed by Bonk 3. I guess I prefer the maligned ones...they're both a little crazier than the avg Bonk and I guess that's why they're my favs (and I love Big Bonk).
I admit that I am biased towards TG-16 Bonk 1 & 2...which means that I use them as the yardstick to measure all the other games. If I let go of Bonk 1 & 2, I probably would find more to like in the other games.

Believe me, I wanted to like the other games. But Super Bonk, especially, stumbled and bumbled its way into the glue factory on its own accord.

ToiletKid

Super Bonk is def more of a slower adventure than the PC Engine ones, it's a bit more of a kitchen sink kind of game. I think it blows Super Mario World out of the water in fun factor,variety,looks,sounds,etc.. I think non-Turboheads probably appreciate it alot more on average.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: ToiletKid on 12/16/2012, 07:59 PMSuper Bonk is def more of a slower adventure than the PC Engine ones, it's a bit more of a kitchen sink kind of game. I think it blows Super Mario World out of the water in fun factor,variety,looks,sounds,etc.. I think non-Turboheads probably appreciate it alot more on average.
What's funny, is that the movemnt of Bonk himself I think is faster then the older games, but the game itself still feels slower.
IMG

Tatsujin

Lol #1 blows SMW out of the water. rolf.
Lol #2 vestcunts new avatar looks like a pinball game for the 2600.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

NightWolve

I decided I'm gonna sell off my SNES collection (about 18 carts) in favor of converting it all to the SD2SNES Everdrive (Now revised as FXPAK PRO @ $224) (the one cart to rule them all), and Super Bonk is one of my originals that's got to go - like the rest they just sit, collect dust and they might as well find a new home (I don't feel that attached to anything, other than my 4 Squaresoft titles like Chrono Trigger which I'm keeping). It's in very good condition and complete: box, manual, etc. PM me an offer if interested, it's going off to eBay eventually if not.

As for what I think of it, I have the same criticism for Bonk III (NEC), very boring music... I verified this with the sound menu and I just don't like it (read: I *hate* it)! On the plus side, it has very colorful graphics, provides another Bonk adventure, etc. same kind of deal as other Bonk games. Worth a play-through, then off to storage it goes!