Most frustrating scene?

Started by dallaspattern, 06/01/2013, 12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dallaspattern

Here's another query, what was the most frustrating part of a TG game that you can remember playing through as a kid? One of the ones that immediately comes to mind for me was level 3 (I think it was level 3) in Legendary Axe, and the goddamn frog-men knocking you into the water as you tried to jump from platform to platform. Actually, I think I'd probably have a laundry list dedicated to that game.

ccovell

Naturally, Valis III's water palace level, with the enemies you have to freeze and jump on, one after the other.

esteban

JJ & Jeff, the later levels have killer platforming stunts (falling platforms, tiny platforms + "super-jump" = slipping into chasm, etc.). Plus: I hate the stalactites that fall from ceilings...they get me every time because I want to keep running fast and BAM! A stalactite in the bosom.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

kiketonto

I still trying to pass the first level of Cadash!
The jumps in the water make me die a lot.

CrackTiger

I think that that trial and error stage near the end of Legendary Axe is uneccesarily cheap. Some other scenes really push it, but that is the part that should have been done different.

Similarily, finding keys in JJ & Jeff to reach the bosses. They should have only had hidden items like that to unlock bonus content like the dolls in Wonderboy.

Finding the scrolls or whatever was slso uneccessary in Impossamole.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

dallaspattern

Impossimole was such a pain in the ass for that reason...

JJ and Jeff, I forgot about the tiny platforms!

I remember when I was a total Bonk noob getting worked by the 4th boxer boss, and then having to fight him again when you had to beat all of the bosses in a row. Such a bummer before I figured out how to load up on extra men.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 06/02/2013, 01:49 PMI think that that trial and error stage near the end of Legendary Axe is uneccesarily cheap. Some other scenes really push it, but that is the part that should have been done different.

Similarily, finding keys in JJ & Jeff to reach the bosses. They should have only had hidden items like that to unlock bonus content like the dolls in Wonderboy.

Finding the scrolls or whatever was slso uneccessary in Impossamole.
Yup: The fact that you have to find springs (sometimes hidden) to warp back to "scene 3" (to find keys) can get crazy.  :pcgs:

Arkhan Asylum

Frustrating?

Cosmic Fantasy 2, because I want to see more boobs than what they give out.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

geise

I was going to jump the gun and say Valis III water level, but after revisiting JJ & Jeff this weekend I have to go with what esteban and BT mentioned.

Another runner up is Rayxanber II level 4, but that is pc-e.

jperryss

The one that stands out for me is the last stage of Blazing Lazers, the part where you get bombarded with those little guys that float down on each side of the screen and dart across when you are horizontally lined up with them. I swear it's impossible without maxed out homing missiles.

EvilEvoIX

Contra 3 on the SNES has some crazy cheap kills.  You have to memorize the game basically.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

MotherGunner

The moving bumpers bonus level in Alien Crush.... AAAAARRRG!  I will stick to the slimers any day!
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

PCEngineHell

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/03/2013, 01:56 PMContra 3 on the SNES has some crazy cheap kills.  You have to memorize the game basically.
Silly poser. Stop being fucking retarded. This is a Turbografx thread, not a Snes one.

PunkCryborg

Quote from: geise on 06/03/2013, 01:45 PMAnother runner up is Rayxanber II level 4, but that is pc-e.
I agree, this is one of the most frustrating levels I've ever played in a game.
The pit at the end of Ninja Spirit was a bitch to find a way down too

geise

Hehe, I wasn't going to say anything cause it was to stupid to respond to.

geise

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 06/03/2013, 02:21 PMI agree, this is one of the most frustrating levels I've ever played in a game.
Damn!  How the hell did I forget that game.  Yeah man I still (after DECADES) have yet to beat that level.

jperryss

Quote from: geise on 06/03/2013, 08:52 PM
Quote from: PunkCryborg on 06/03/2013, 02:21 PMI agree, this is one of the most frustrating levels I've ever played in a game.
Damn!  How the hell did I forget that game.  Yeah man I still (after DECADES) have yet to beat that level.
I don't think it's possible unless you know that one exact spot.

roflmao

Quote from: MotherGunner on 06/03/2013, 02:00 PMThe moving bumpers bonus level in Alien Crush.... AAAAARRRG!  I will stick to the slimers any day!
This!

DesmondThe3rd

Stages 5 and 6 of Sinistron. Stupid one kill deaths!

soop

Well there's the last stage of Cyber Core.  The learning curve just gets vertical at that point.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

dallaspattern

Quote from: soop on 06/04/2013, 06:20 AMWell there's the last stage of Cyber Core.  The learning curve just gets vertical at that point.
Absolutely.

bob

The entire second half of Exile: WP.

geise

Quote from: galam on 06/05/2013, 09:41 PMThe entire second half of Exile: WP.
In total agreement.

roflmao

It's not the worst offender out there, but the Level 4 Boss on Super Star Soldier is often times a game-killer for me.  That giant, green robot.  On the off-chance I get past him, I can often go for a good, long while, but it's not very frequent.

esteban

Quote from: jperryss on 06/03/2013, 09:19 PM
Quote from: geise on 06/03/2013, 08:52 PM
I don't think it's possible unless you know that one exact spot.
It's possible, but it is pure luck (like winning the lottery) and you'd never be able to recreate it.

Back in the day, after realizing how Impossamole it was, I figured, "There must be a trick!"

:pcgs:

Sadly, there are countless games where I have failed to find similar "strategies"...like the "last" boss in Aldynes.  I never could figure out if I was even hurting the orb as lightning bolts relentlessly forced me to dodge like a DODGE! DODGE! DODGE! Sh*t, what do I do?

What do I do?

And now I no longer have SuperGrafx IMG