RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Favorite memory

Started by Bernie, 06/02/2013, 11:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernie

Many of us, like myself, got rid of all their Turbo stuff years ago not thinking we would ever look back and be like..."Oh SHIT"!  So, I have a game now, that took me a while to get again, but I JUST had to get it for various reasons.  1. I loved that game, durp.  2. It just held such a nostalgic memory in my heart and mind, that it literally killed me that I couldn't find it at a decent price.  I wouldn't mind hearing what some of you guys/gals stories.  Here is mine.

Back when TZD was mailing pamphlets out, I happened to get them.  Still not sure if they were just mass mailings or what.  But I started ordering from them, so of course they continued to come.  One game that jumped out at me was Beyond Shadowgate.  I had to get it, and I did.  I believe they were having a buy one get one 1/2 price or something like that at the time, so I grabbed Beyond Shadowgate and Might and Magic III for that purchase.  Anyway, I loved that game.  I played it literally every day, multiple times so I could see the different ways to do things.  My only gripe with it, was it was sooo damn short..  :(  Anyway, I ended up letting my Turbo Duo, which I still had the box and all paperwork, and all my games go to a friend at work.  She had a handicapped son, and he was bound to a wheelchair.  She couldn't afford the newer stuff coming out, so I let her have everything I had Turbo related for $125.00.  That was in like late 1996 or early 1997. 

Fast forward a few years, it is now 2000 and I am no longer married.  I have internet now and started messing around on eBay and things like that.  It was all new to me believe it or not.  Somehow, I came across some Turbo stuff, and it peaked my interest, bringing back memories.  However, it wasn't enough to make me want to get it all back just yet.  However, in 2007, I started to mess around with Magic Engine, downloaded some games, and started playing.  I was hooked, and I had to get the real thing.  I ended up finding this place and after what seemed like forever, I was approved to join.  Systems and games flowed in between eBay and awesome members here, but one game eluded me due to price and rarity, not to mention so many people wanting it.  That is where our fellow member BlueBMW comes in.  I was able to get the game from him in a trade, and I never regretted it.  :)  One cannot imagine my excitement once the deal was made final, and that package came in the mail.  A lot of folks hate on the game, Beyond Shadowgate, but I simply cannot get enough of it.  For me, it is an excellent sequel to the original NES version, and deserves to be played and enjoyed.  Thanks to BlueBMW :mrgreen:, I can do that any time I choose now.  :)

What are some of yalls tidbits?  Do share..   :wink:

esteban

Lots of nostalgic memories (at many moments, young and old), but I think I'll keep it short and sweet for now: in autumn of 1989, in high school, all the fellow LUVVAHS of video games were talking about the new 16-bit consoles and all the new games.

We were all waiting for XMAS to actually get one, of course. Not even the spoiled kids had a 16-bit beast yet.

Anyway, one kid said to me, "Cheenah Warrior looks like a good game..." And I said to myself, "Crap! I almost embarrassed myself by calling it China Warrior. But, upon inspecting the screenshots further, I'm getting the Cheenah vibe. Chulo. Chula Vista. Japonais. Le Chinois. Formosa. Siam. Burma. East L.A. Zipang. Pang. Pomping World."

TRUTH: I called the damn game Cheenah Warrior for a LONG TIME (and so did my brothers, because of me).  :pcgs:

I was a smart lad. I should have known better. I still don't know why I never questioned Cheenah Warrior.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

BigusSchmuck

5 player bomberman games with my siblings and our friends after getting the multitap and 5 turbo sticks for under $50 through TZD back in the mid 90s. Man those were the days..

esteban

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 06/02/2013, 03:11 PM5 player bomberman games with my siblings and our friends after getting the multitap and 5 turbo sticks for under $50 through TZD back in the mid 90s. Man those were the days..
Ditto this, but add equal parts of MotoRoader to Bomberman.

Also...Co-op 2-player Wonderboy III: Monster Lair was awesome (difficult, frustrating, but awesome).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

jelloslug

Quote from: esteban on 06/02/2013, 03:16 PM
Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 06/02/2013, 03:11 PM5 player bomberman games with my siblings and our friends after getting the multitap and 5 turbo sticks for under $50 through TZD back in the mid 90s. Man those were the days..
Ditto this, but add equal parts of MotoRoader to Bomberman.

Also...Co-op 2-player Wonderboy III: Monster Lair was awesome (difficult, frustrating, but awesome).
My friends and myself also had equal parts Dungon Explorer.

geise

Playing Ys Book I & II for the first time when I got the CD Unit.  Mind was blown.  Equally as well when I got my Duo on launch day and played Gate of Thunder for the first time.

jelloslug

Quote from: geise on 06/03/2013, 02:05 PMPlaying Ys Book I & II for the first time when I got the CD Unit.  Mind was blown.  Equally as well when I got my Duo on launch day and played Gate of Thunder for the first time.
Ahh, the first time I experienced the CD-Rom.  That was a mind blowing experience in 1990.

syphic

My favorite memories were of me coming home from school and checking my mail box and getting super excited when a new TZD flyer arrived in the mail. I couldnt wait to open that bad boy up and see what latest news and titles were coming soon. I used to hang those things on my wall just dreaming of one day getting some cash from chores to pick up some of these titles.
Awesome trades and deals with:
Fiftyquid, thesteve, keithcourage, mothergunner, Bernie, turboswimbz, Bardoly, BlueBMW, Galam, Elderboroom, dicer

esadajr

I wish I had Turbo memories
Gaming since 1985

turboswimbz

I have the fondest memory of playing my first video game : Bonk's Adventure.  I still have that original system and game.  Still playing it after all these years.

Round last year a random E-bay look got me some cheapy game lots.  I got an extra FLT which i was enjoying.  SO I threw it up on ebay at a low price to give someone else the joy of FINAL LAP TWIN.  Needless to say I was researching about the game a week later, looking for something in the game,  also wondering if my FLT went to a good home when google took me to the forum here! where a Wonderful member here was raffling off a loose FLT because he had gotten my complete copy!  I signed up here at once and have not looked back.  And now I have a very respectful game collection playing all the games I never got to experience because I didn't know the games were around back then.  They clearenced out here well before the end of turbo.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

geise

Quote from: esadajr on 06/03/2013, 05:04 PMI wish I had Turbo memories
Make some!  Start playing! :D

roflmao

So many memories ... 

I remember the first time a friend of mine brought his Turbografx-16 to my house to show me R-Type (I had the SMS version at the time) and it completely blew me away.  I ended up selling off my SMS to get a Turbografx-16.

I bought into the CD attachment early on and I picked up Fighting Street and Ys Book I & II.  The voice and cutscenes in Ys was almost like a spiritual experience.  I remember overhearing one of my little brother's friend's saying he thought I had a Street Fighter II cab in my room (he had to have been about 7 at he time). :)

DesmondThe3rd

So many memories but the top thing was seeing my high score for Air Zonk in EGM magazine in 1992. I never got any prizes sadly but it was still cool.

soop

Getting a GT, with some awesome games for a steal all those many years ago.  Still slightly in awe of the elegance of the Core units and HuCards.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!