10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Xbox 360: Installing new slim HDD in old fat console

Started by ClodBusted, 01/20/2015, 10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClodBusted

Since my old Xbox 360's 120GB HDD is jam-packed with game installations, save files, downloaded content and user-data, I feel the need for a bigger harddisk drive.

Bad luck: Genuine 250GB HDDs for the "fat" console are rather scarce and thus pricey. On eBay are mostly bootlegs found, which lack some features of the original drives as well as being of questionable durability.

I've seen tutorials where people put the old HDDs into new slim caddys for use in the Xbox 360 S/E versions, but I'd like to do it the other way around.
So here starts my quest for getting a brand new original 500 GB Slim HDD to work in the old console, by swapping the caddys of each HDD and using the transfer cable prior.

My Xbox 360 Elite (Jasper chipset w/ HDMI) is unmodified and equipped with the latest updates. Will it recognize the official 500 GB HDD once the caddy has been swapped? Or is there any known limit for HDD size on the old console?

xcrement5x

I've never done it in this direction, but I swapped the HDD from my 360 Elite to a Slim a couple years back and there were no issues at all.  I would think it would be fine since it should be the OS that recognizes everything, and that is the same across all the units from my understanding.

Now I wish I'd have kept that old fatty enclosure since there is someone who actually had a need for it.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

ClodBusted

Thanks, that's good to know.
I found a tutorial where somebody modded the fat caddy for use with the slim-caddy enclosed HDD:
http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/how-to-make-an-adapter-to-use-slim-hdd-on-fat-console.786859/

From what I've read so far, it seems like the 500 GB capability was added to the system's software later on with updates. I see new genuine 250 GB slim and 500 GB slim drives go for roughly the same amount of money now, so I'd like to try the bigger option, but still have a fear that the fat console might have trouble recognizing it, even though it has all updates.

But then, I see those Chinese bootleg fat drives on eBay with 500 GB capacity and screenshots of the dashboard showing the usable capacity. So if even the shitty hacked bootleg drives work on unmodified fat consoles, then genuine ones should too, shouldn't they?  :-k

EDIT: Well, I found these two tutorials:
Original Xbox 360 500gb HDD upgrade tutorial (any slim HDD to original)
Real Xbox 360 hard drive Disassemble
Looks like the hardest part is the dissassembly of the slim drive. Everything else should be a piece of cake. At least I hope so, cause I've now ordered everything I need.

I think I know somebody who could make good use of the old 120 GB drive afterwards.

ClodBusted

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

Hell yeah, I made it. :D