RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Japanese web browsing translator

Started by Oli_lar, 04/27/2007, 12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oli_lar

I've been going on Yahoo Japan a bit recently translating with google - however when you search it turns back to japanese. Does anyone know of any method such as toolbar or plug in etc that just translates whatever text there is on the site to english automatically?

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Seldane

Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Oli_lar

Quote from: Tatsujin on 04/27/2007, 12:35 PMmay be it's hilarious but try this one http://babelfish.altavista.com/
I do use this sometimes but I was just wondering if there was any software that would automatically translate the page with copy & pasting.

Seldane - your link has expired apparently? What were you trying to link me to, I'll track it down

Tatsujin

but there is a whole-page translating function.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Turbo D

Is it possible for an American like myself to buy from yahoo auctions japan? Do I have to become a member? Is that allowed?
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: turbo D on 04/28/2007, 07:35 PMIs it possible for an American like myself to buy from yahoo auctions japan? Do I have to become a member? Is that allowed?
There are middleman services that you can use like these two.
http://www.rinkya.com
http://www.shoppingmalljapan.com

I've never used either i guess i'm worry about the exchange rate  :oops:
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Turbo D

Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Seldane

I've used SMJ many times. They absolutely rule.

Also, that link that I posted earlier was generated with SMJ. You can translate YJ via SMJ, try it.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG

Oli_lar

Quote from: Tatsujin on 04/28/2007, 10:10 AMbut there is a whole-page translating function.
Gives me an error for some reason?

Does it let you search for stuff and still comes up in english? Google translator doesn't, which is why I want one that just translates whatever is on screen.

Seldane

Oli_lar = Browse the categories THROUGH shoppingmalljapan - it does exactly what you wants. It keeps the Japanese intact, but also puts the English translation directly underneath all the text. Very very convenient.

However, it brings up two frames on the upper and lower parts of the screen, so I recommend right clicking the middle frame and choosing "open in new window" - that way, you'll lose all the unnecessary frames, and still have a fully translated YJ window.

You can also translate pages directly through www.systranet.com - it requires a registration, but it is free.
IMG

termis

Is it usually cheaper to go the yahoo auction japan route even after all the commission and shipping fees from the middleman services?

I figure for individual games, it might be better to just go ebay, but I'm thinking you can maybe save some money for bigger ticket/rarer items?

Seldane

It's definitely cheaper (the additional fees aren't as expensive as everybody's trying to make it out to be). And for me, it is the only way. I can't get X68000/PC-9800/FM-77, etc. games from Ebay. At least not the ones I want, hehehe. :)
IMG

Oli_lar

Quote from: Seldane on 04/29/2007, 07:15 PMIt's definitely cheaper (the additional fees aren't as expensive as everybody's trying to make it out to be). And for me, it is the only way. I can't get X68000/PC-9800/FM-77, etc. games from Ebay. At least not the ones I want, hehehe. :)
Cheers for the suggestion of SMJ - works like a treat.

Reason I was looking was to get a PC-98, I was going to install the PC-FX GA I have - which model do you reccomend me getting? Also are normal western PC peripherals like Mice/keyboards and normal monitors compatable with it or will I have to buy a complete set up?