10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

PCE Pixel art tools?

Started by Jester82, 07/03/2017, 08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

Quote from: fragmare on 01/18/2018, 01:32 PMAlso, editing or creating a post on this forum from a mobile device is a FUCKING NIGHTMARE
I know, that's why I use the silly Tapatalk app, it makes it fun to post.

If it weren't for Tapatalk, I wouldn't have been posting much for the past few years.

SRSLY.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Gredler

Quote from: fragmare on 01/18/2018, 01:23 PMYou go to 'Posterize' and input a value of 8.  Iirc, it will use RGB values of 0, 36, 72, 109, 145, 182, 218, and 255, iirc
I've never tried using posterize to clean up a low color count rgb image - only to reduce colors from high color count rgb images - so I can't confirm if that's how it behaves, but it was my understanding that it does clamp them but it just uses a nearist neighbor and clamps the colors down to a range defined in the value you input; That would be awesome if that's how it works though, each number representing a bit depth?

I looked into it briefly and it sounds like the number represents the # of colors per channel it will clamp the image down to. I am not certain it relates to bit depth, nor will set the colors to be any different value other than choosing the nearist neighboring color on the gamut

FraGMarE

Quote from: Gredler on 01/18/2018, 08:26 PM
Quote from: fragmare on 01/18/2018, 01:23 PMYou go to 'Posterize' and input a value of 8.  Iirc, it will use RGB values of 0, 36, 72, 109, 145, 182, 218, and 255, iirc
I've never tried using posterize to clean up a low color count rgb image - only to reduce colors from high color count rgb images - so I can't confirm if that's how it behaves, but it was my understanding that it does clamp them but it just uses a nearist neighbor and clamps the colors down to a range defined in the value you input; That would be awesome if that's how it works though, each number representing a bit depth?

I looked into it briefly and it sounds like the number represents the # of colors per channel it will clamp the image down to. I am not certain it relates to bit depth, nor will set the colors to be any different value other than choosing the nearist neighboring color on the gamut

It's just a quick and easy way of color reducing a higher color image to 9-bit color, and especially useful in photoshop since you can't really import a 512 color palette