10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Lightning Strikes... the PC-Engine?! (Thunder Force IV Chiptune Cover)

Started by FraGMarE, 01/19/2017, 10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: fragmare on 01/30/2017, 02:15 AM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 01/30/2017, 01:34 AM
Quote from: fragmare on 01/30/2017, 01:25 AMEven threw in a few "rim hit" sounds and a couple cymbal hits... starting to get the hang of this PSG percussion thing.  :)
more like rim job amirite

huehuehue

lol.
IMG
IMG
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Michirin9801

Quote from: guest on 01/29/2017, 11:24 PMThey don't sound too bad overall in other certain tunes, either.   I like how they sound with the Shadow of the Beast tune I made awhile back:

www.aetherbyte.com/downloadables/sotb.mp3

but for some songs, no, they're going to sound odd.
Yeah they're not bad in that one, but the lead could use a little detuning/phasing

Quote from: elmer on 01/29/2017, 11:21 PMBut what I haven't looked at, is whether that means that *all* the values should be 1-less compared to what you hear in DefleMask.
Umm, I think not... The thing is that the 1F frequency I was using for the hi-hats sounds identical to the 1E frequency, only quieter, and I was using it precisely because it was quieter, if I want similar results to that I can just use the 1E frequency and make it quieter on the volume macro, the other frequencies/notes shouldn't be affected by that...

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 01/30/2017, 12:51 PMYeah they're not bad in that one, but the lead could use a little detuning/phasing
This was during my obsessive "chirpy" phase.

You should hear Insanity's music.  All the leads are chirp city.   I was like THESE SOUND FUCKING COOOOOOOL

and used them for literally everything.    lol.

Something about the pipeorgany/chirpy crap excited me.

It still does.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

FraGMarE

Bit of an update on this one.  Finally got around to making the youtube video of it, synced up with the intro.  I changed some volumes/waveforms/instruments and I think it sounds a bit more grindy now.  Even more so than before.  I needed to increase the contrast between the two leads and that seemed to do the trick. 

I also added the "slowdown" effect present in the original tune with very strategic use of the 09xx command in Deflemask... NO idea why they did this in the original tune.  I'm not sure if it was intentional or slight slowdown from the Genesis CPU... but either way, this cover's timing now matches note-for-note with the original (and also, the intro scene in the youtube video).

Enjoy!  :)

P.S., and there's definitely more "chug-chug" in one of the leads, thanks to some funky arpeggio tinkering.  Messing around with the PSG drums really helped me get more of a feel for how the arp feature works.

Michirin9801

Quote from: fragmare on 02/09/2017, 03:35 PMBit of an update on this one.  Finally got around to making the youtube video of it, synced up with the intro.  I changed some volumes/waveforms/instruments and I think it sounds a bit more grindy now.  Even more so than before.  I needed to increase the contrast between the two leads and that seemed to do the trick. 

I also added the "slowdown" effect present in the original tune with very strategic use of the 09xx command in Deflemask... NO idea why they did this in the original tune.  I'm not sure if it was intentional or slight slowdown from the Genesis CPU... but either way, this cover's timing now matches note-for-note with the original (and also, the intro scene in the youtube video).

Umm... Link plz?

FraGMarE

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 02/09/2017, 05:27 PM
Quote from: fragmare on 02/09/2017, 03:35 PMBit of an update on this one.  Finally got around to making the youtube video of it, synced up with the intro.  I changed some volumes/waveforms/instruments and I think it sounds a bit more grindy now.  Even more so than before.  I needed to increase the contrast between the two leads and that seemed to do the trick. 

Umm... Link plz?
Sorry, I updated the original post.  Here's the video:

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Michirin9801

FraGMarE

elmer

That's an amazing sound that you've created there ... those guitars are fantastic!  8)

It all sounds a bit "too gritty" for my personal taste right now ... but it's absolutely incredible to hear that sound coming out of a PCE.  :shock:

Great job!  :D

FraGMarE

Quote from: elmer on 04/04/2017, 02:15 PMThat's an amazing sound that you've created there ... those guitars are fantastic!  8)

It all sounds a bit "too gritty" for my personal taste right now ... but it's absolutely incredible to hear that sound coming out of a PCE.  :shock:

Great job!  :D
Thanks!  Re-uploading with 60fps Saturn game footage.  Please stand by.  :)

Gredler

Can we try popping this into catastrophy as a placeholder, I'd love to see that kitty sprinting around to these legendary metal riffs executed so deftly on the pce hardware :D

elmer

Quote from: Gredler on 04/04/2017, 04:32 PMCan we try popping this into catastrophy as a placeholder, I'd love to see that kitty sprinting around to these legendary metal riffs executed so deftly on the pce hardware :D
Not until I get sample support into Huzak, I'm afraid.  :cry:

FraGMarE

The thunder gods will be displeased if you stuck this tune in some cutesy shit like that, anyway.  Probably get struck down with lightning or something... I wouldn't advise it.  :P

roflmao

Quote from: fragmare on 04/04/2017, 11:55 AMGet rekt.  :)
Dang! That doesn't even sound like something the PCE could do. That's awesome.

Gredler

Quote from: fragmare on 04/05/2017, 12:56 PMThe thunder gods will be displeased if you stuck this tune in some cutesy shit like that, anyway.  Probably get struck down with lightning or something... I wouldn't advise it.  :P
Hahaha I'd be willing to risk it if you were! :)

Quote from: elmer on 04/05/2017, 11:46 AMNot until I get sample support into Huzak, I'm afraid.  :cry:
Ahhh some day, some day!
 [-o<

Michirin9801

I gave it a listen and well... Let's just say that I have to agree with elmer >w>
Too gritty for my personal taste, but you know what? That only means you're doing a good job, because now it really sounds like Thunder Force...

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG