Anywhere else for PCE translations?

Started by otterboxer, 08/26/2016, 05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otterboxer

hey, i know about romhacking.net (like most on here i expect) but are there any other sites specifically for pce translations? i've looked about but cant really find any.

Mainly wondering as i cant read japanese and really want to get into both Nazo no Masquerade and Benkei gaiden and as far as i can make out both are pretty much abandoned projects on romhacking.
The Ys series is overrated.

NightWolve

There are mine for Xak III and Ys IV as well as Motekke Tamago.

ysutopia.net/projects/ys4/
ysutopia.net/projects/xakiii/
ysutopia.net/projects/xak3/

ysutopia.net/projects/mt/

And the next one I'm managing that's down the pike is Emerald Dragon:

https://www.ysutopia.net/forums/index.php?topic=431.0

It seems you're asking more about where to go to lobby people to translate the particular games you're interested in, and RHDN is actually the place for that, here too. But I've never heard any interest in the games you've mentioned so far... It's really not usually up to random members of the public actually; the way it happens is those of us that really loved the system and genres like RPGs where a translation is really critical (versus say an action game where it's not) just decide to pick the best titles or those that present the least difficultly to start off...

Fans who work on these games might have to spend months to years on them, so that relies a lot on self-interest, and not that of random people asking for this or that game to get translated, etc. PCE already was a niche system, so there're even less places/forums to go than SNES and others, another underdog aspect which is why we haven't seen as much fan hacks/translations in comparison.

otterboxer

Thanks for the info. Not a random person fwiw as you alluded too twice. And i'm not lobbying i was curious in case someone had taken it upon themselves to do a translation for either game and i was missing it while searching.

Nazo no masquerade was being translated according to romhacking but was kind of abandoned as far as i can tell.

If anyone else has any thoughts that's cool. Just don't try too hard to read between the lines of my question it really is just that, a question.

otterboxer

-

CrackTiger

Quote from: Nulltard on 08/27/2016, 11:37 AMA user named Validus has done a bunch of translations over at romhacking.net.
He also announced that he's the one doing the Legend of Xanadu translations.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 08/27/2016, 11:52 AM
Quote from: guest on 08/27/2016, 11:37 AMA user named Validus has done a bunch of translations over at romhacking.net.
He also announced that he's the one doing the Legend of Xanadu translations.
Shut up! That dude is insane.

QUESTION: the A long time ago, someone named "Validis" (or Validius) on Magic Engine boards claimed to have scanned all the TG-16 manuals with help of his brother. He posted link to tons of manuals, but I didn't check most of them (I downloaded a few).

He ran scans through OCR, he claimed, so text was searchable.

Does anyone remember this?

I have always wondered if it was the same person...and who really scanned all those manuals (if they were actually scanned.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

OldMan

Quotesomeone named "Validis" (or Validius) on Magic Engine boards claimed to have scanned all the TG-16 manuals with help of his brother.
Don't remember that.
But a long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away) I started scanning and ocr'ing my tg16 manuals for
a site called "The Dump".  600dpi scans take a long time to upload at 56K.

Always wondered what happened to those files...

esteban

Quote from: TheOldMan on 08/27/2016, 01:06 PM
Quotesomeone named "Validis" (or Validius) on Magic Engine boards claimed to have scanned all the TG-16 manuals with help of his brother.
Don't remember that.
But a long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away) I started scanning and ocr'ing my tg16 manuals for
a site called "The Dump".  600dpi scans take a long time to upload at 56K.

Always wondered what happened to those files...
Ha! I still have a few manuals, allegedly from Validus @magicengine save somewhere. Perhaps there is metadata on the file. Did you include anything in the manuals/metadata?
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

OldMan

QuotePerhaps there is metadata on the file. Did you include anything in the manuals/metadata?
Only if it was done by default. This was a long time ago; Magic Engine was still Dos based, iirc. Like version 1.3,  before all the gui stuff.
Basically, I ran them through the scanner, saved the files, and ran PaperPort (I think) to ocr them.
Then I fixed any obvious errors in notepad, zipped them and sent them along.

The guy that ran the dump had a nice collection of them, from what I remember. I wasn't the only one doing it; I started at 'A' and another guy started at 'Z', so most of the ones that were missing were from the middle letters. The manual page would update every 2 weeks or so, with 10-20 new manuals.

Those were the days.... :)

NightWolve

Quote from: otterboxer on 08/27/2016, 08:00 AMThanks for the info. Not a random person fwiw as you alluded too twice. And i'm not lobbying i was curious in case someone had taken it upon themselves to do a translation for either game and i was missing it while searching.

Nazo no masquerade was being translated according to romhacking but was kind of abandoned as far as i can tell.

If anyone else has any thoughts that's cool. Just don't try too hard to read between the lines of my question it really is just that, a question.
I'm not sure why you're seemingly taking offense over that post, it was just conversation in this area... You're counting how many times random was used ?? And think that somehow wasn't an appropriate choice of word ?

I'm also not sure why you're denying there's an inherent form of lobbying here (you want certain games translated, and hope someone, somewhere will start or continue projects on them), but it wasn't an ironclad judgement given my phrasing. There wasn't an implied criticism in lobbying (unless it's excessive). Pointing to great games could lead to them getting under somebody's radar, it's not impossible, but the point I was making is that don't hold your breath in that regard, and that the interest usually has to come from the hacker/fan translation team. Members of the public, random or "not random," whatever, aren't the deciding main factor given the investment that goes into them (%/odds are small you could get someone to translate something you like is all I'm saying).

..., but yeah, for the most part, you can usually find most everything on RHDN which you already know and you won't really find a PCE-dedicated equivalent (if you want a straight answer to your question). Also, we have other members here working on "Legend of Xanadu I & II" in case you don't know given you're a newly registered member.

P.S. Mooz can be found on #utopiasoft on #efnet, the guy who started the "Nazo no Masquerade" project you're interested in. I would simply contact him to see what's going on with it. He's also a registered member here, so a simple PM would do.

schweaty

Quote from: otterboxer on 08/27/2016, 08:00 AMThanks for the info. Not a random person fwiw as you alluded too twice. And i'm not lobbying i was curious in case someone had taken it upon themselves to do a translation for either game and i was missing it while searching.

You have 22 posts and have been a member here all of 2 weeks according to your profile.  Unless I'm missing something, you seem like a rando to me.  A thin-skinned one at that.

NightWolve

Heh, thanks schweaty, I was thinking the same thing, but I didn't wanna go Trump on this - I wanted to maintain polite conversation as I didn't feel this should lead to any conflict. ;) Dunno why we can't have civil discourse on something like this, and I was kinda surprised how my post was misinterpreted as criticism which got him somewhat defensive. I leave it to NecroPhile to throw pennies at the freshmen, that's not my style. Heh-heh.

otterboxer

Quote from: schweaty on 08/27/2016, 06:23 PM

You have 22 posts and have been a member here all of 2 weeks according to your profile.  Unless I'm missing something, you seem like a rando to me.  A thin-skinned one at that.
nah i just dont tolerate crap on any forum. be my ignore buddy?

otterboxer

cant see what nightwolve guy wrote so i'm gonna assume its a warm welcome/apology for getting it wrong and hurting my feelings. lets just wipe the slate and move on. I got me some lobbying to do!

deubeul

First thing you do here is ignoring one of the most respected/active guy here? Who answers far kinder to your dumb asking than he should have?

Very clever.

Edit: Ah, didn't see your sig. Good troll man.

NightWolve

Quote from: schweaty on 08/27/2016, 06:23 PMA thin-skinned one at that.
Well, he said it! So a bunch of us made his ignore list already over this:lol:

NecroPhile

IMG

Quote from: NightWolve on 08/27/2016, 07:22 PMI leave it to NecroPhile to throw pennies at the freshmen, that's not my style. Heh-heh.
You son-of-a.....  :lol:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

tbone3969

Anyone know if the River City Ransom CD game was ever translated to English?

Shit.....

Posted in wrong thread.  Sorry about that.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."